Carry on or pack: diapers juice?

sharp_cruiser

Hi,

We will cruise with a toddler in a couple weeks. We will fly in the night before so can get to a store to buy anything we don't want to put in suitcases. Should I try to pack our diapers, or buy in Tampa and carry on? Or, can diapers be luggage if they are not in a suitcase? I think some people said to get a foldable suitcase / zip bag or something and put those in from the port, and then it will be luggage and we won't have to carry around the ship until our room is ready.

Next juice: should i carry this on? Do I have to go in 20 oz bottles and it counts towards my soda/water limit (no problem for that)? Or I think others have suggested to ask for juice in room service? Does it come in a box or some kind of open glass, how do I keep extras in my fridge?

Thanks!

I think it depends on how tight you are for space. If I were flying in, I'd probably buy diapers in the port city & not waste valuable luggage space & weight. I like the idea of a duffle bag that you can put the diapers in & have delivered to your room. We were going to pack juice, but have decided to just get it on-board. We'll either order from room service or use the fountain card.

ETA: I believe it will count towards your carry-on limit. We are going to bring some juice boxes/bottles/cans for taking into port. I think we'll probably bring a 6-pack of V8 Fusion. Juice from room service does come in an open glass. You could bring a bottle/thermos of some sort to store it in the fridge.

Definitely carry on whatever you will need for at least 6 hours....usually, your bags arrive fairly quickly, but you don't want to be caught short if they take longer to be delivered. You don't want to haul ALL of your luggage (and a child!) around the ship until your cabin is ready, so check everything except valuable and that which you might need right away.

Yes...if you can buy in the port city, that's the way to go. If you don't have time or transportation to a store, then pack them as best you can....doesn't matter if they're crammed in among your other things...

We're planning to order diapers from diapers.com and have them delivered to our hotel, so it is one less thing to have to run around and get (assuming there's bound to be something we forget and MUST get). Then stick a luggage tag on them and turn them over to the porters at the pier.

I also plan to pack a small quantity (maybe a day's worth?) in each of our 2 suitcases *just in case* as diapers are not something I want to be without!

Not sure which line you're on, but RCI Navigator did have a small selection of diapers for sale in the gift shop for outrageous prices - not a good plan, but good to know for back up!

HTH!

Definitely carry on whatever you will need for at least 6 hours....usually, your bags arrive fairly quickly, but you don't want to be caught short if they take longer to be delivered. You don't want to haul ALL of your luggage (and a child!) around the ship until your cabin is ready, so check everything except valuable and that which you might need right away.

Yes...if you can buy in the port city, that's the way to go. If you don't have time or transportation to a store, then pack them as best you can....doesn't matter if they're crammed in among your other things...

This is good advice.

Keith

This is good advice.

Keith

I agree with Keith. When DS2 was still in diapers, we kept at least 2 days worth with us, just in case. They fit well into the front pockets of suitcases, or any other little spot that happens to be empty. I wouldn't count on buying them on board or in the ports, for one you may not find "your" brand, and two I don't want to waste my port time seeking out diapers ;)

As for juice, I would just use what I could get on board. DS2 had just turned 3 on our last cruise and did fine. The only reason I would bring my own is if there was one particular kind he would drink or there were allergy issues.

We're going in July with a 1 yr old, out of FLL. When setting up a reservation for the pre-cruise hotel, I checked for grocery stores, and chose one closer to a store so I could buy what I needed. Also, not sure if you've seen those nylon bags that roll up into a little ball about the size of your palm but I always bring one for extra stuff we purchase. They would be great to taking your diapers and juice that purchase because when empty, you can roll it back up and it doesn't take much room.

When our youngest was that age and traveled with us we just stuck a luggage tag on the box of diapers and it was delivered to our cabin.

Like others have said take enough to get you through until your bags arrive late in the day.

FYI we have done this with other things as well. We always travel in a day early and stock up on things before we board. We pack a small roll of packing tape and buy a couple of those long 12-18 packs of sodas and tape them together, then make a makeshift handle with the tape and write our cabin number on each side with a sharpie real big and its gets delivered to the cabin (no Dr. P on board you know :p)....no problemo

Don't forget to ask for a pack and play ahead of time and a take a little inflatable pool for baths.

Russell

I would bring along a sippy cup and a small bottle of dish detergent and just use the juice that is provided on board. Most cruiselines offer juice free of charge and it is often available all day. If it isn't, then ask at a bar and they will probably give it to you at no charge if you let them know it is for a child. It is the premium juices in the bottles that are often included in the soda card programs.

As for the diapers, fly down with enough to last a couple of days and buy a package that you leave unopened and check it through with your regular luggage. It is better to have too many than not enough, especially if you get hit with a bout of tummy troubles and the runs.

We usually let our kids pick out a small toy at the store that we stop at so that they have something new to play with when we have some down time in the cabin in the afternoon.

Have a great trip.

Archived