sunscreen

It's available on the ship, but the bottles are small and usually expensive. You probably won't find anything available at the airport either. Best bet is to ask your transportation to make a run by a drug store/grocery store on the way to the port and go in and buy it there.

Poor and expensive selection of sunscreen onboard. Consider packing some sunscreen towelettes (available at drugstores and Amazon) or putting some in a small security approved bottle in your carry-on. Or try making a small detour to a drugstore en route to the embarkation port.

We plan on not checking our bags on the plane, my biggest worry is sunscreen. Can you purchase it on the ship or is it best to get it at the airport once we go through security.

Don't know where you are travelling from but most uk major airports will have a 'boots' or similar pharmacy after security which will have a good selection.

Although I would also suggest getting some of those empty travel bottles and decanting some suncream just in case you cannot get some immediately. We do this for our son regardless of checking bags in case we want to put cream on him when we are straight out the airport terminal, just remember not to buy the spray kind of lotion as it didn't apply out of the original bottle.

There is also "solid" sunscreen that I like from Neutrogena. Its a bit like a deodorant solid. It doesn't have to be included in your 311 bag.

This is good to know! Can someone confirm that the aerosols also don't need to be included in the 311 bag?

This is good to know! Can someone confirm that the aerosols also don't need to be included in the 311 bag?

Aerosols DO need to be included in the 311 bag. The solid sunscreen the poster is referring to is what wouldn't have to be included.

The full size spray cans are not allowed in carry on. I don't know if you can find a small, 3oz one and whether that would be allowed. The best bet would be to make a pit stop at a convenience store or drugstore before you get on the ship. 1 cruise we forgot it and they only had a limited supply on board. They were out of stock of spf 30 and only had spf 15 which isn't high enough for us. We stayed in the shade until we were able to buy some at the next port which I believe was Puerto Rico.

I am a huge fan of Supergoop. You can order from amazon and Sephora. They have a 30 pack of 30 SPF sunscreen wipes. One wipe is enough for arms, one for legs. You can bring them in your carryon no problem. Bring those plus one of the Neutrogena solids and you're set.

There's also a website called 3floz dot com that has everything carryon sized. It's pretty amazing!

Check out the travel sized Health & Beauty section @ walmart or your drug store... I just picked up 2 small (1.5 or 2oz) Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30's there for about $2 each as well as a tube of SPF 45 (3oz) for about $4... I had bought SPF 30, 45 and 60 sunscreens in 2009 and alas they all expire this month and still 1/2 full... no more big bottles for me!!

Here is a link to the Neutrogena sunscreens.

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=1

The Ultra Sheer products are in 3 ounce containers. Some of the other ones are in 4 ounce so be careful what you buy since you can only have 100ml, which is 3.4 ounces.

I have been able to find Neutrogena at CVS, Target, and Walmart all year long even up here in the cold northeast.

Keep in mind that the travel-sized bottles (3 oz) will not last long at all if you have 2 or more people wearing the sunscreen. (If applied correctly).

By the time you buy up 4 or 5 smaller bottles, you could have easily just stopped somewhere on your way to the port and bought 2 big bottles and have much more.

Keep in mind that the travel-sized bottles (3 oz) will not last long at all if you have 2 or more people wearing the sunscreen. (If applied correctly).

By the time you buy up 4 or 5 smaller bottles, you could have easily just stopped somewhere on your way to the port and bought 2 big bottles and have much more.

That would work if you can wear a sunscreen that comes in bigger bottles and do not require a specific brand. We buy our sunscreen before we leave for our trips since we know we can find the brand we are not allergic to.

The OP should look to see if they can find their preferred brand in a bottle they can carryon.

I tried the Tocca brand sunscreen wipes on our last cruise and didn't like them at all. They were extremely messy and didn't absorb into the skin well at all. Can't recommend them. I may have to give Supergoop a try. They say it's ok for sensitive skin. I'm very sensitive, even some baby sunscreens bother my face. LaVanilla is the least offensive for me lately.

You need 1 oz of sunscreen per adult every 2 hours to be protected....even if it says' Waterproof"....towels rub it off! You'd have to bring A LOT of those little bottles!

Try to by it before you head to the ship....all drugstores and Wal-mart type stores carry it.

Archived