QV -Live + Irish non humour!

dundalkspur

I am an Irish person and quite frankly I was shocked by a comedian on board 3 days ago who made a load of insulting and politically incorrect remarks about my race. I made my views known to the cruise director and all I got was a patronising response. In this day and age of PC correctness I hope Carnival the owners of Cunard stops this before we Irish take our business elsewhere.

Also just thought people would like to know we are stuck in Alexandria - we were told because of weather but a very much older ship from the Fred Olsen line left last night despite the weather conditions. We are now stuck on the ship - can't get off - and don't know when we will be moving and on top of that the whole ship has an outbreak of novovirus(pity they did not deal with the flies earlier).

Thanks very much Cunard.

I am an Irish person and quite frankly I was shocked by a comedian on board 3 days ago who made a load of insulting and politically incorrect remarks about my race. I made my views known to the cruise director and all I got was a patronising response. In this day and age of PC correctness I hope Carnival the owners of Cunard stops this before we Irish take our business elsewhere.

Also just thought people would like to know we are stuck in Alexandria - we were told because of weather but a very much older ship from the Fred Olsen line left last night despite the weather conditions. We are now stuck on the ship - can't get off - and don't know when we will be moving and on top of that the whole ship has an outbreak of novovirus(pity they did not deal with the flies earlier).

Thanks very much Cunard.

Being Irish myself I am surprised to find such a thinkskinned compatriot - usually we are known for glorying in being the butt of jokes, none of which I have ever known been malicious.

Where I am from we tell jokes about Kerrymen, so even the Irish tell Irish jokes.

I will agree that many of the socalled comedians on board cruiseships are pathetically bad and even embarassing though.

As far as being stuck in Alexandria, well its better to be in port wishing you were at sea than to be at sea wishing you were in port.........................

Noro is a pain in the proverbial, and you can only blame your fellow passengers with their insanitary habits for spreading it.

If you've been in Egypt then maybe its Pharoah's Revenge?

One thing's for sure, it got brought on the ship from ashore somewhere.

I do hope your voyage improves and you cheer up a bit. I've never had any luck with cruise directors either, they are usually not very happy people, its a rotten job with long hours and lots of paperwork.

The comedians on the ships come and go. Some of the ones I've seen have got off the ship the following day. Maybe the cruise director doesn't know in advance what the jokes are going to be.

The comedians on the ships come and go. Some of the ones I've seen have got off the ship the following day. Maybe the cruise director doesn't know in advance what the jokes are going to be.

No the CD will have no idea about content of entertainers shows.

As far as patronising response is concerned what else do you expect on Cunard?

I've never got anywhere with any complaint, however obviously justified they have been.

As I've said before I only cruise Cunard now if they're stupid cheap, and more recently I have come to the conclusion I'd rather pay more and cruise Princess anyway. At least Princess treat you like a human being and not like something a dog left behind on the sidewalk.

Having said all that I am going to embark QV this Sunday and hope they get the Noro or whatever it is under control.

I thank the OP for the heads-up on that.

I was on the QV a week ago and the Comedien was Adrian Walsh. He's Irish and I don't remember him saying anything that I would consider insulting to the Irish. I found him to be very funny and one of the best shows on our cruise.

Russ

How awful.. 'stuck' on QV.. you make it sound like you are on a ferry! :D

Strangely thats what I use Cunard for, an inexpensive ferry which I can take lots and lots of stuff on which is either too expensive to airfreight or banned from airline baggage. Its amazing how many things are not allowed.

From a post on the Princess board this AM. Sounds like a pretty good idea to stay safe in the harbor! :)

Just got off the Pacific in Athens this morning. The last two days from Alexandria to Athens were very rough - force 7 winds and real rock and roll all the way. Before that, 10 beautiful, rain free days in the Holy Land. We enjoyed all the ports, but Egypt is drowning in trash. For the most part, a great cruise!

I was on the QV a week ago and the Comedien was Adrian Walsh. He's Irish and I don't remember him saying anything that I would consider insulting to the Irish. I found him to be very funny and one of the best shows on our cruise.

Russ

I immediately wondered if the post was referring to Adrain Walsh who I saw in August on QM2 (and who apparantely I will be seeing again next week). To be fair many of his jokes could be considered 'not politically correct' not because of any malice intended but because most of the punchlines date back to Noah's Ark!

And I wonder what the OP would make of QM2 Entertainment Director Paul O'Loughlin whose demeanor could easily be interpreted (at least by Yanks like me) as that of the stereotypical jolly Irishman who never misses a last call.

Thanks very much Cunard.

Ahoy dundalkspur. Thanks for your post. From experience, I know that it is not easy to post live from on board. I'm sorry for your troubles. Since we don't know what the comedians' jokes were, obviously we don't know if the jokes were funny or not, and of course, everyone has a different sense of humor. <- or even a different way of spelling :)

Nevertheless, it does suprise me that a self-proclamined British ship would not be more sensitive to 'jokes' about the Irish People, considering the history.

I hope your have a better time on the rest of your voyage, and thanks again for taking the time to post.

Regards,

Salacia

Ahoy dundalkspur. Thanks for your post. From experience, I know that it is not easy to post live from on board. I'm sorry for your troubles. Since we don't know what the comedians' jokes were, obviously we don't know if the jokes were funny or not, and of course, everyone has a different sense of humor. <- or even a different way of spelling :)

Nevertheless, it does suprise me that a self-proclamined British ship would not be more sensitive to 'jokes' about the Irish People, considering the history.

I hope your have a better time on the rest of your voyage, and thanks again for taking the time to post.

Regards,

Salacia

I can tell you that when my father migrated to England - from Ireland - in 1937 there were signs in the London boarding house windows - No Irish - No Dogs.

And when he married my mother in 1952 few of her side of the family would attend the wedding as it was felt Ma had let the side down and would be living in a dirty houseand having a dozen children - and the Irishman.

Yes there was a lot of anti-Irish racial predjudice then, and it only let up when the next lot of immigrants arrived in England, this time from the Caribbean, then suddenly the Irish were slightly more acceptable.

When the laws about discrimination came into force in England in 1965, but not in N Ireland, and then modified in 1976, it did not specifically apply to discrimination against Irish people in England, it had to be further modified in 1991 and then 2000 to include them.

So its not surprising that there may be some raw nerves here and there. I myself have had a full 10 year Irish EU passport turned down by a British bank as evidence of my identity.

I can tell you that when my father migrated to England - from Ireland - in 1937 there were signs in the London boarding house windows - No Irish - No Dogs.

And when he married my mother in 1952 few of her side of the family would attend the wedding as it was felt Ma had let the side down and would be living in a dirty houseand having a dozen children - and the Irishman.

Yes there was a lot of anti-Irish racial predjudice then, and it only let up when the next lot of immigrants arrived in England, this time from the Caribbean, then suddenly the Irish were slightly more acceptable.

When the laws about discrimination came into force in England in 1965, but not in N Ireland, and then modified in 1976, it did not specifically apply to discrimination against Irish people in England, it had to be further modified in 1991 and then 2000 to include them.

So its not surprising that there may be some raw nerves here and there. I myself have had a full 10 year Irish EU passport turned down by a British bank as evidence of my identity.

Sadly, it is also true that in NY (my home state) at the turn of the 20th Century, employment signs included "Irish need not apply". Of course, that also applied to women and racial minorites. Persons of 'different religions and sexual orentations' were in the same boat. Happily, improvements have been made (Kudos to the Dutch who settled New Amsterdam!)

Just my opinion, but the best humor is when we laugh together at the human condition...we have enough in common to laugh ourselves silly:D

Cheers,

Salacia

I have just heard from a couple of friends that are onboard QV as we speak. They are on their way to Corfu after their unexpeceted extra night in Alexandria. They are having a wonderful time and she tells me that the whole ship does not have norovirus. Although there has been an outbreak on board apparently the ships company are doing everything they can to keep it under control.

If I'm watching a TV program that I don't like, I just turn the TV to another channel. Likewise if I don't like the show/comedienne I just leave my seat. Maybe that's why we sit or stand at the back of the shows, then we don't bother other people if we are not keen and leave! Just thought!

Andrew

Thanks very much Cunard.

We had a ventriloquist on our Nov.trip on QM2. He resorted to some antigay humor, which resulted in a fair amount of people walking out. It was really a surprise, as aside from that he was actually quite good. I guess it's hard to tell what the entertainer is going to do. Either way I really don't fault Cunard. Just mention to the entertainment director that you found the humor offensive. Just don't make a huge deal. Just politly say that he offended you & feel that this type of humor might offend others. Actually being German/Irish I never knew we were considered a "race". I kind of thought were were all equal("though some are more equal than others")10 points to the person naming the author & book that line is from.

We had a ventriloquist on our Nov.trip on QM2. He resorted to some antigay humor, which resulted in a fair amount of people walking out. It was really a surprise, as aside from that he was actually quite good. I guess it's hard to tell what the entertainer is going to do. Either way I really don't fault Cunard. Just mention to the entertainment director that you found the humor offensive. Just don't make a huge deal. Just politly say that he offended you & feel that this type of humor might offend others. Actually being German/Irish I never knew we were considered a "race". I kind of thought were were all equal("though some are more equal than others")10 points to the person naming the author & book that line is from.

Isn't that George Orwell and Animal Farm?

I have just heard from a couple of friends that are onboard QV as we speak. They are on their way to Corfu after their unexpeceted extra night in Alexandria. They are having a wonderful time and she tells me that the whole ship does not have norovirus. Although there has been an outbreak on board apparently the ships company are doing everything they can to keep it under control.

We are in Corfu now and the ship is still on "red alert" for norovirus - glad to hear your friends are having a good time - we however, find being on board a ship with norovirus somewhat limiting and inconvenient. It is not just passengers who bring on the virus also staff do! We have seen several wipe their noses on the coat sleeves whilst standing around in the restaurant - probably not a good idea?

Thanks for all the support I have received so far regarding the Irish issue:).

Perhaps the OP could post some of the jokes so that we can judge the appropriateness for ourselves.

Did you hear the one about the Irish fella who....................

An Irishman, an Italian a Greek and a German go into a bar. The German pays....

lol :d

The old ones are the best!

My wife comes from Dublin, I'm Scottish, so we're both accustomed to stereotypical jokes, but you might appreciate this real true story.

NYC is my favourite city and I've visited often (the last time was on QM2 last year).

However, a few years ago, my wife and I flew in and were blighted by jet lag and seemed to be wide awake every day by 3 am.

On one of our many long walks, we spotted an Irish bar and it was about midday. The Guiness was beckoning. I gave in and dragged her in.

The bar was empty save for a little 65 year old Irish barman who'd been living in NYC most of his life and still not lost any of his accent.

I enquired "What time does your bar actually open?"

He gave a furtive look up the bar, then another down the empty bar.

He leaned forward and in a low voice said "Would that be officially or unofficially sir?"

You couldn't make it up!

We had a good laugh and good craic.

Stewart

The old ones are the best!

My wife comes from Dublin, I'm Scottish, so we're both accustomed to stereotypical jokes, but you might appreciate this real true story.

NYC is my favourite city and I've visited often (the last time was on QM2 last year).

However, a few years ago, my wife and I flew in and were blighted by jet lag and seemed to be wide awake every day by 3 am.

On one of our many long walks, we spotted an Irish bar and it was about midday. The Guiness was beckoning. I gave in and dragged her in.

The bar was empty save for a little 65 year old Irish barman who'd been living in NYC most of his life and still not lost any of his accent.

I enquired "What time does your bar actually open?"

He gave a furtive look up the bar, then another down the empty bar.

He leaned forward and in a low voice said "Would that be officially or unofficially sir?"

You couldn't make it up!

We had a good laugh and good craic.

Stewart

Good one Stewart,

I can trade a similar story that happened to me in Ballymena (Terry Wogan was kind enough to give this story air time on his radio show!)

The main gate at St Patrick's Barracks in Ballyemna was manned by civilian security guards employed by the MOD. I was driving into barracks one morning in weather that the good citizens of Ballymena would refer to as a light drizzle, but which would be regarded in any other part of the known universe as a torrential monsoon-like downpour. The security guard stopped me and came over to check my ID. I said to him "That's a pretty wet morning" and he replied "Ah sure sor, if you want to get good weather in Ballymena you have to go abroad". It was fully 10 minutes before I felt fit to drive safely again.

J

Archived