Asia cruises

forevertravel

Has anyone taking any of the cruises in Asia? We are considering Beijing to Bangkok, March 2013 or Singapore to Hong Kong, Feb 2013. Regent has added a bonus of a free land package in addition to other tours. Any feedback will be appreciated regarding tours, cities, experiences, etc.

As usual, Regent says prices will go up at end of December (raising prices every quarter seems a bit much) but we don't want to book until next year. Thank you.

We were on part of the World Cruise this year. We did do Beijing to Bangkok. Loved it!! Shanghai was incredible!! Climbed the Great Wall outside of Beijing. We were very lucky as it was a crystal clear day. I would love to go back. We did the Angkor Wat post cruise trip with Regent. It was very well run and then stayed an additional 4 nights in Bangkok.

Karen

DW and myself cruised the Navigator, Beijing to Bangkok In Sept/Oct 2010. A must to do for an Asia trip. Started with 3 extra days in Beijing pre cruise. You need this much time to see all there is to see. Hired a car with guide for the days there. Great wall, Forbidan City, Summer Palace, and Tianamin(sp?) Square. Shanghai over night, saw the World Expo one day, Hong Kong, overnight with a trip to Machu. Viet Nam, with wonderful stops, Hanoi, Sagion amongst others and then off in Thailand. A most enjoyable trip. All in all we were traveling for three weeks plus.

We are looking at those cruises also and was wondering which airlines Regent uses for flights from U S to Beijing and fromHong Kong to Us

When we flew from Tucson it was United to SFO and then to Beijing. On the return from Bangkok it was Delta to LAX and then to Tucson. Either book a PH for the Business Class upgrade or use miles to upgrade. A long flight each way.

When we flew from Tucson it was United to SFO and then to Beijing. On the return from Bangkok it was Delta to LAX and then to Tucson. Either book a PH for the Business Class upgrade or use miles to upgrade. A long flight each way.

While we all wish that was the case, Business Class Upgrades are only valid with Regent for most European cruises. Regent's Business Upgrade that you pay for is still a really good deal. As far as using mile to upgrade a Regent reserved coach ticket, chances for that are nigh onto impossible for many reasons already described on these boards.

Many airlines will not upgrade a Regent paid flight. Even if they do, you don't get your flight schedule until a month or so before you leave so you will be so far down the waitlist, it most probably won't clear. Deviating for $125 pp might help that situation but, even after you pay the deviation fee and get your flights, you may not get the upgrade.

Wish I had better results for you but, that is the true story

We were on part of the World Cruise this year. We did do Beijing to Bangkok. Loved it!! Shanghai was incredible!! Climbed the Great Wall outside of Beijing. We were very lucky as it was a crystal clear day. I would love to go back. We did the Angkor Wat post cruise trip with Regent. It was very well run and then stayed an additional 4 nights in Bangkok.

Karen

Hi Karen,

My DH and I are doing the Angkor Wat post cruise after our Syd-Sing. Cruise this Feb. Can you give us a fuller description, please? What were the hotel, daily tours, food, and flights like? We are scheduled to stay at Le Meridien. Was that the hotel you stayed in?

Thanks, Laurie:)

Hi Karen,

My DH and I are doing the Angkor Wat post cruise after our Syd-Sing. Cruise this Feb. Can you give us a fuller description, please? What were the hotel, daily tours, food, and flights like? We are scheduled to stay at Le Meridien. Was that the hotel you stayed in?

Thanks, Laurie:)

Laurie - We were there in April 2011. We stayed at the Grand Raffles Hotel. Siem Riep was very clean and there were many 5 star hotels. I'm sure Le Meridien will be great. We kept a blog of our trip. You can see it here if you would like to read it:

http://travelpod.com/members/thewrens

The Angkor Wat entry is toward the last part of World Cruise Part 1.

Karen

While we all wish that was the case, Business Class Upgrades are only valid with Regent for most European cruises. Regent's Business Upgrade that you pay for is still a really good deal. As far as using mile to upgrade a Regent reserved coach ticket, chances for that are nigh onto impossible for many reasons already described on these boards.

Many airlines will not upgrade a Regent paid flight. Even if they do, you don't get your flight schedule until a month or so before you leave so you will be so far down the waitlist, it most probably won't clear. Deviating for $125 pp might help that situation but, even after you pay the deviation fee and get your flights, you may not get the upgrade.

Wish I had better results for you but, that is the true story

Didn't say the air was free nor did I say that mileage was used with the

Regent air package. True story.

Didn't say the air was free nor did I say that mileage was used with the

Regent air package. True story.

You did tell people to take the Business Class Upgrade for Penthouse and above which is free on select European cruises and not any Asia cruises. The Business Class Upgrade is available for all Suites on select Asia cruises and not just Penthouse and above so I guess I assumed incorrectly that you were speaking of the free Business upgrades.

And no, you didn't say mileage was used with the Regent air package but, some people might be thinking they could do that so I simply explained why that would be highly unlikely.

Was simply clarifying possibilities for others not totally familiar with air possibilities.

Laurie - We were there in April 2011. We stayed at the Grand Raffles Hotel. Siem Riep was very clean and there were many 5 star hotels. I'm sure Le Meridien will be great. We kept a blog of our trip. You can see it here if you would like to read it:

http://travelpod.com/members/thewrens

The Angkor Wat entry is toward the last part of World Cruise Part 1.

Karen

Karen, thanks for sharing your blog. Really enjoyed your photos and daily reports. We are on the Voyager and are very excited; although not so much about Townsville or Thursday Island!:)

Laurie

We are looking at those cruises also and was wondering which airlines Regent uses for flights from U S to Beijing and fromHong Kong to Us

ILoveMyDogs,

We used Regent air this past March and were routed Beijing to Vancouver; Vancouver to LAX all Business Class, fully lay flat seats on Air Canada. (We did request specific flights using our deviation)

but we don't want to book until next year.

Forevertravel, we have been to all those ports and they are fantastic. IMO, you should BOOK NOW...the prices will continue to go up and availability will go down. You'll end up paying more for the exact same cabin just a few decks higher. You can always cancel before penalty phase (we might hold the Regent record for booking and cancelling cruises). BTW, we have never paid an administrative fee when cancelling because we always just roll it into another cruise booking.

P.S. ILoveMyDogs too (and my cats).

Forevertravel, We are on a B2B Sydney-Singapore-Hong Kong in 2013. We compared this itinerary with all the other luxury lines and it was the clear winner for ports and time sight seeing versus seadays. I would suggest you book soon, you can always cancel. We will be in a BPH but we could not get our first two choices. When you look at the route it is clear you want to be on the port side. Remember this is part of a World Cruise.

been to Asia and not with Regent. Asia is must go, charming, amazing, surprising, touching, wonderful.

However decide if you wanted Asia or Asia with Regent.

Regent offers fantastic service, spacious suites, lots of care, worth paying (been with Voyager, however would not want to sail with Captain Scala again - posted somewhere here earlier why)

if you appreciate care, space and comfort, and not much of people (though fine people) aboard relatively not small ships - certainly try the Regent

just remembered now one little thing - their "inclusive" is at times not inclusive indeed, e.g. some relatively better (not really so luxurious) drinks would be already on the pay list, was a small however unpleasant thing to notice. But that's a small thing, and general they are hard to beat in careful service, inclusive, and lots of space, and, yes! a balcony, what a nice thing to have!

Regent offers fantastic service, spacious suites, lots of care, worth paying (been with Voyager, however would not want to sail with Captain Scala again - posted somewhere here earlier why)

I'm not sure why Captain Scala's name seems to be popping up on threads today. Sounds like he could be the Captain that just rotated to the Voyager when Captain McDreamy (oops -- Captain McNeil) went on vacation). IMO, the Regent experience is not dependent upon who the Captain of the ship is.

When we do an Asian itinerary, it will definitely be on Regent:)

Correcting myself. The following are the officers on the Voyager (note: "hotel director" is actually the General Manager):

While I do not know most of the people on this list, Paul Reynolds is a lovely gentlemen. We look forward to seeing him again.

Untitled-16.jpg

Thank you all for wonderful comments. Yes, we'll definitely cruise with Regent. I crunched number and Regent is a better deal financially plus we love the service. The upgrade for $3,000/pp is excellent. Is the new free precruise in Beijing two or three nights? We want to see the Great Wall and will need a day for that. We'll probably fly in early (using deviation) so we'll have a few days in Beijing and then stay a couple of extra days in Bangkok. Will three days in Bangkok on our own plus the overnight on Regent be sufficient? Thank you so much. We have sailed both Voyager and Mariner and love both ships.

Forevertravel

• 2 weeks later...

Karen, your blog and pictures are wonderful. I booked the Asia cruise on Regent for March 2013. We are doing 16 days from Beijing to Bangkok. We are taking the 3 day pre-land tour in Beijing and then plan to stay for an additional 2 days in Bangkok. I'm very excited about it and your blog really makes the tour come alive.

Archived