Wine........How much can u take?

David are they the free ones you got as the ones they have now it cost $100 pp

Yes. I think they were the last of the free ones.

I have also got an FCL from HAL that I paid $100US for. That has no expiry date.....must get around to using it one day,but somehow the old Elite keeps dragging me back to Princess.

Dont like this new wine business.

The reason I cruise Princess is to try a bottle of of the local "fruit of the Vine" from our various ports of call.

I have also enjoyed Princess as they have treated everyone like grown ups .....

not like P&O and other lines that line the school prefects up at the gangway and bully and shame passengers for daring to bring a bottle on board.:eek:

I am still not convinced that the policy on taking wine on board has changed.:)

The application of the policy varies ship to ship according to the posts. That is the annoying part. I am hoping for a civilized application on our Sun cruise.

If you are keen here's some links. No I haven't read them. Someone I trust read them for me and gave me a précis. I take no responsibility :) My head hurts when faced with legalese.

I prefer reading personal experience.

Policy at June 2011:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp#Alcohol_Policy

Current policy :

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

Here is a link to a site called 'Princess Chatter' ***********************************index.php?action=printpage;topic=4644.0 about this very issue.

While you are reading, I'll have a glass of wine.

Cheers, Ann

I have been following the posts about taking wine on board at ports of call, but I am still not convinced that the policy has changed. A couple of people said it was not allowed, but people are now posting that they are currently allowed to take a quantity of wine (Jen says one bottle per person) on board.

I have suggested that it is a misunderstanding of the notice that is put in the Princess Patter that says "no alcohol can be taken on board" when the ship's Security means spirits not wine. That is what happened on our three recent Sun Princess cruises. Virtually all the passengers read the notice in the Patter and were convinced they could not take wine on board and were stunned that we had no problem. By the way we did not sneak it on - we showed it to the security staff at the scanner. The comment was "Wine - that's OK".

On this board we have had a couple of posts that in the last few days people have been permitted to take wine on board - no problem. We have only anecdotal comments about wine not being allowed - no one has actually said that their own wine has been confiscated.:)

I will wait and see before I am convinced that the policy has changed regarding wine. :) It could be wishful thinking on my part.

On the Sun Princess we were told it had changed regarding taking beer on board. We were allowed to take it on board in May but not in August and were told the rules had changed (beer only).

I have just read a post by Pam from California on the Princess Board. I didn't want to re-post her comments as that might not be the right thing to do. Anyone can go to that section to read it for themselves. There is an interesting photograph of a supermarket shopping trolley full of alcohol. Personally I think that is taking things too far, but each to their own.

Pam says - "Princess is very liberal when looking the other way when it comes to bringing wine onboard. Alcohol is a different matter but wine is no problem."

Please note that (in her wording) 'wine' is not considered 'alcohol'. Is this the American way of describing these drinks? The Princess ships operating out of Australia have a lot of Americans as senior staff. I am putting forward the suggestion that when they say that 'alcohol' cannot be taken on board, they do not mean 'wine'. :)

I have just read a post by Pam from California on the Princess Board. I didn't want to re-post her comments as that might not be the right thing to do. Anyone can go to that section to read it for themselves. There is an interesting photograph of a supermarket shopping trolley full of alcohol. Personally I think that is taking things too far, but each to their own.

Pam says - "Princess is very liberal when looking the other way when it comes to bringing wine onboard. Alcohol is a different matter but wine is no problem."

Please note that (in her wording) 'wine' is not considered 'alcohol'. Is this the American way of describing these drinks? The Princess ships operating out of Australia have a lot of Americans as senior staff. I am putting forward the suggestion that when they say that 'alcohol' cannot be taken on board, they do not mean 'wine'. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1499411

see #7

However, I try to be a glass half full kinda girl ( no pun intended ) and hope all is well on our Sun cruise.

Ann

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1499411

see #7

However, I try to be a glass half full kinda girl ( no pun intended ) and hope all is well on our Sun cruise.

Ann

Yes, I read those posts and participated in that thread. I still believe it could be a case of misunderstanding as it was on our three Sun Princess cruises this year. The Princess Patter said "no alcohol" and passengers took it literally but it meant "no spirits". I believe it is a difference of terminology.

Until someone can say that they had their own wine confiscated, I don't think it is certain and I think it is likely we are allowed either 1 bottle per person at each port or 'unlimited' depending on the security staff on board.

I also read that thread over on the Princess boards...I was fascinated to see the shopping cart full of alcohol that a passenger was allowed to take on board recently over there and also the comment that the only place the limit seems to be enforced is in Australia...hmmmm.

I also read that thread over on the Princess boards...I was fascinated to see the shopping cart full of alcohol that a passenger was allowed to take on board recently over there and also the comment that the only place the limit seems to be enforced is in Australia...hmmmm.

The photograph of the shopping trolley full of alcohol was taken in SYDNEY. I remember this from the original time it was posted.

I am still not convinced that there is a limited applied here on all ships. From first-hand reports, it looks as if there is a limit of one bottle per person applied on the Dawn Princess, but not on the Sun and Sea where there seems to be no limit. We had no limit on the Sun.

Jen who is currently on the Dawn Princess in NZ advised that passengers are allowed to take 1 bottle of wine per person on board at the ports of call. Mr. Princess who is on Sea Princess says there is no limit.

On our recent Sun Princess cruise the notice in the Patter stated -

Alcohol Policy - We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption. All alcoholic beverages that are brought onboard will be colected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

They did not include wine in the term 'alcoholic beverages'. Wine was permitted. The sign on the Alcohol Collection Desk said "All alcohol (with the exception of wine or champagne) must be handed in ......

I do not believe there has been a dramatic change in the policy, but it appears there might be a limit applied on the Dawn P.:)

Mr. Princess who is on Sea Princess says there is no limit.

Just clarifying, as I am now off the SP.

My wife and I took on board at Barrangaroo, in our checked baggage, one 4lt bladder of white wine, one 4lt bladder of red, one 2lt bladder of sherry. I also took in my checked baggage two 750ml bottles of sparkling wine. As well, I carried on, in hand luggage, two more 750ml bottles of sparkling wine. No problems. Not a second glance at the security screening on the ship at Barrangaroo, even tho' my 2 carry-on sparkling wines were in a separate plastic carry bag, went thru' the scanner, and were obviously wine!

In Akaroa I purchased one 375ml of Bacardi Rum, which I put into an empty water bottle, and took back on the ship. Again, no worries!

In Auckland, I bought a 6-pack of beer, and 2 bottles of wine, on shore, and took them back on board in the shopping bags. No worries!

Hope this helps! :D

Oh, I forgot to add, we didn't drink all the wine that we had carried on in Sydney, so, as I had bought my duty-free allowance on board, I just declared to Customs when we returned, that I had taken the wine in at Sydney on the way out. And you know what they told me?...........

'No worries'!!!! :D

MP.

My wife and I took on board at Barrangaroo, in our checked baggage, one 4lt bladder of white wine, one 4lt bladder of red, one 2lt bladder of sherry. I also took in my checked baggage two 750ml bottles of sparkling wine. As well, I carried on, in hand luggage, two more 750ml bottles of sparkling wine. No problems. Not a second glance at the security screening on the ship at Barrangaroo, even tho' my 2 carry-on sparkling wines were in a separate plastic carry bag, went thru' the scanner, and were obviously wine!

In Akaroa I purchased one 375ml of Bacardi Rum, which I put into an empty water bottle, and took back on the ship. Again, no worries!

In Auckland, I bought a 6-pack of beer, and 2 bottles of wine, on shore, and took them back on board in the shopping bags. No worries!

Oh, I forgot to add, we didn't drink all the wine that we had carried on in Sydney, so, as I had bought my duty-free allowance on board, I just declared to Customs when we returned, that I had taken the wine in at Sydney on the way out. And you know what they told me?...........

MP.

Thank you for posting such detail. :)

MP.

WOW! Princess sure are a great cruise company!

Also just off the Sea Princess. No problem at all with bringing on wine at all ports, but limited to the one bottle per person for the honest ones showing their purchases. At Auckland, liquor was on sale in the terminal building, duty free, and much cheaper than onboard. This was delivered to stateroom on last day. Noticed lots, including us, not buying extra at this port. Never heard any passengers complaining of not being able to bring wine aboard.

Jen

• 6 months later...

The old alcohol policy has been updated to specifically limit the size of one bottle of wine allowed and this one bottle is limited to the duration of the voyage regardless of the length of the voyage. I e-mailed Princess for clarification about this as we have unfortunately booked an extended cruise on the Dawn Princess in 2013. I was informed that this policy of one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult would be strictly enforced. Note that non Princess employees who are shoreside security can confiscate a bottle of wine even if you purchased it on a Princess shore excursion to a winery and you will NOT have it returned to you at the end of the cruise. See:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of the above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise.

Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Looks as though there is still confusion about this, unless they have got more strict since February. When we arrived at Auckland, we asked at the Purser's Desk if we could bring wine back on, the girl said we could bring a bottle each back on. We did bring some back on with no problems at all. There was a box on a table in which to put alcohol other than wine. (We didn't bother at other ports as we mostly just drink wine at dinner.)

By the end of the cruise I heard passengers boasting they had even brought beer back. :rolleyes: Can't vouch for the truth of that, though. The Dawn Princess seemed to be the only ship enforcing the rule. Friends have just got off the DP yesterday, so I must find out what the situation is now.

The Dawn Princess seemed to be the only ship enforcing the rule. Friends have just got off the DP yesterday, so I must find out what the situation is now.

Dear Sandy,

I would love to hear that this policy is not being strictly enforced on the Dawn Princess. I recently e-mailed Princess for clarification about this policy on the Dawn Princess and the response I received indicated in no uncertain terms that no alcohol, including wine, would be allowed on board the Dawn Princess in any ports of call even if the wine was purchased on a Princess shore excursion to a winery. We have booked a 14 day cruise around New Zealand to be followed by a 28-day cruise around Australia, both on the Dawn Princess, and the Princess personnel who responded to my e-mail was made aware of this as well as our status as Elite. In addition to a clarification of the "new" alcohol policy, I was sent a copy of the Princess wine list for the Dawn Princess to preview the wines available for purchase on board ship.

I assume you had no problem, but were on some ship other than the Dawn Princess. We were also on a Princess ship this past February/March and the alcohol policy at that time allowed bringing wine on board at embarkation and at ports of call. The old policy stated that box wines were discouraged, but did not state that one 750 ml bottle was acceptable at embarkation only. At this time, the Dawn Princess seems to have an entirely different alcohol policy interpretation and enforcement from her sister ships based in Australia. I cannot understand why. However, the "new" alcohol policy is now online for all Princess passengers regardless of Princess ship or passenger nationality. It must, at this point, be an individual ship decision as to how strictly this "new" policy will be enforced or even as to how it will be interpreted.

Thanks for finding out from your friends who disembarked recently from the Dawn Princess. I'll look for your posting. I would love nothing more than to bring a bottle of local wine on board ship at various ports of call to enjoy in our cabin prior to dinner as we have done in the past on various other Princess ships in other parts of the world.

With best wishes,

B. J. aka Skittlescat

Note that non Princess employees who are shoreside security can confiscate a bottle of wine even if you purchased it on a Princess shore excursion to a winery and you will NOT have it returned to you at the end of the cruise.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Non-Princess employees can only confiscate liquor if you let them. I had a non-Princess employee try to take bottle of vodka that I had purchased in a port. I just refused to give it to him, informing him that I would turn it over only to Princess security personnel. Princess security told me to just take it to my cabin.

I am, by the way, not easily intimidated or even a little bit shy.

Archived