Wine........How much can u take?

Ok anyone who has been on a Princess ship lately, can u please tell me how many bottle of wine u were able to take on board with u? Thank's

Sun and Dawn - 1 bottle each at embarkation only!!

American based ships ie Diamond etc - not sure!

Ok anyone who has been on a Princess ship lately, can u please tell me how many bottle of wine u were able to take on board with u? Thank's

if you enjoy wine in the cask some people take them onboard

In the Cruise contract there is no limit specified. Elsewhere in the brochure it says one bottle per person. There has been discussion that on the Australian-based Princess ships, no wine can be taken on board at ports of call during the cruise. I am very doubtful that this is the case. When we were on the Sun Princess recently there was a notice in the Princess Patter that we could not take 'alcohol' on board, but it turned out that wine was allowed. Someone posted earlier this morning that he had no trouble take wine on board during his cruise on the Sea Princess. I suggest you ask security staff on board.

if you enjoy wine in the cask some people take them onboard

Some people rob banks too - not necessarily recommended though.

Personally, I think that the amount of wine you can take onboard (or attempt to take onboard) is directly proportional to the thickness of your skin. If you embarass easily, then don't try for too much - if you are shameless, then go for broke!! :)

Barry

Just did the Sun Princess, no problems taking 2 bottles of wine per port. Also, took beer and soft drink on at every stop. I bought some champagne at a duty free port, it was still in their bag. The guy at the collection point asked me what I had, replied champagne and that was all OK. Many people were taking 2 bottles each on. I only ever saw hard liquor taken from passengers. Makes life easy being allowed to have wine in your cabin.

Just did the Sun Princess, no problems taking 2 bottles of wine per port. Also, took beer and soft drink on at every stop. I bought some champagne at a duty free port, it was still in their bag. The guy at the collection point asked me what I had, replied champagne and that was all OK. Many people were taking 2 bottles each on. I only ever saw hard liquor taken from passengers. Makes life easy being allowed to have wine in your cabin.

We had similar experiences on Sun Princess.:)

Some people rob banks too - not necessarily recommended though.

Personally, I think that the amount of wine you can take onboard (or attempt to take onboard) is directly proportional to the thickness of your skin. If you embarass easily, then don't try for too much - if you are shameless, then go for broke!! :)

Barry

Barry some people enjoy their cask wine and if they can take on a cask or two no problem

Barry some people enjoy their cask wine and if they can take on a cask or two no problem

Sun Princess security were quite happy when we took a cask on a few occasions. By the way, I did check with the head of security when we were on the tender going ashore at the first port (Townsville).

Recently returned from Dawn Princess to NZ. Bringing wine on board policy was quite strictly enforced. I was pulled over on embarkation for carrying 3 bottles of wine. Explained that I was carrying it for the 3 of us boarding together (which I was!), and it was allowed. At the 1st port of call, there was a sign stating that only 1 bottle of wine was allowed per person on embarkation only, and anyone bringing a bottle on at ports of call would have to surrender it, and this too was strictly enforced.

At the second port, the sign had been amended to state that 1 bottle of wine could be brought on board PER VOYAGE, and anyone carrying wine was directed to a table where name and cabin number were entered on a list enabling them to check who had already brought it on board, and if they brought more on, it was taken from them until the last night.

There are ways around this "prohibition" , but personally, at my age, I resent being treated like a naughty schoolie determined to get p***** at every opportunity. Bringing aboard a nice bottle of local wine or a few beers from ports of call to enjoy in our room before dinner is one of the things we enjoy about cruising!

It seems to me that the rule varies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise on Princess ships. :rolleyes: (Just like booking the same table for the cruise with P&O) Guess I'll have to ask, once on board.

I suggest you check with a Security Officer before disembarking at your first port. On our recent Sun Princess cruises there was no limit on wine brought on board but beer was not allowed. By the way, the notice in the Princess Patter said 'no alcohol', but they didn't include wine and champagne in the classification of alcohol.

It seems to me that the rule varies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise on Princess ships. :rolleyes: (Just like booking the same table for the cruise with P&O) Guess I'll have to ask, once on board.

re "the rule varies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise on Princess ships"

How unprofessional does Princess ( Aus ) appear ???

But shhhh, we do not want a Policy. It may not be in our favour.

I won't be asking. I also will avoid booking with Princess again.

regards, Ann

But shhhh, we do not want a Policy. It may not be in our favour.

I won't be asking. I also will avoid booking with Princess again.

regards, Ann

Most of the other cruise lines operating out of Australia have tougher regulations that Princess on taking alcohol on board.

It seems odd that there have been recent reports that the alcohol regulations have been changed on some of the Princess ships operating locally, or it is just the Dawn Princess. We had no problem on the Sun earlier this year and someone posted yesterday that he had no problems taking wine onto the Sea Princess.

Most of the other cruise lines operating out of Australia have tougher regulations that Princess on taking alcohol on board.

It seems odd that there have been recent reports that the alcohol regulations have been changed on some of the Princess ships operating locally, or it is just the Dawn Princess. We had no problem on the Sun earlier this year and someone posted yesterday that he had no problems taking wine onto the Sea Princess.

I hope that we also will not have any problems on our Dec cruise on the Sun.

Now that we have competition in home waters, what does Princess Aus offer to keep me cruising with Princess Aus?

Future cruise letters, and therefore small deposits, and a civilised alcohol policy i.e bringing a bottle of local wine on board at ports, was the bait.

I've recently retired :), so we do not have to book in advance anymore. We'll take our chances. So the future cruise letter does not mean anything now. That leaves the alcohol.

A quiet glass of wine which we have chosen in port, sipped on our balcony each evening is wonderful. Not being able to bring a bottle of local wine onboard will be the deal breaker.

Ann

Now that we have competition in home waters, what does Princess Aus offer to keep me cruising with Princess Aus?

Future cruise letters, and therefore small deposits, and a civilised alcohol policy i.e bringing a bottle of local wine on board at ports, was the bait.

I've recently retired :), so we do not have to book in advance anymore. We'll take our chances. So the future cruise letter does not mean anything now. That leaves the alcohol.

A quiet glass of wine which we have chosen in port, sipped on our balcony each evening is wonderful. Not being able to bring a bottle of local wine onboard will be the deal breaker.

Ann

if you havent got a future cruise letter and you wish to book a 40 night cruise you would be up for a $1500 deposit each but with the letter its only $100 per person and you can cancel out before making final payment and use the letter again on another cruise

as been mentioned some cruise lines dont allow any wine like RCL or p&o to be bought onboard

if you havent got a future cruise letter and you wish to book a 40 night cruise you would be up for a $1500 deposit each but with the letter its only $100 per person and you can cancel out before making final payment and use the letter again on another cruise

as been mentioned some cruise lines dont allow any wine like RCL or p&o to be bought onboard

There are some exclusions to the FCL....

Might pay to check.:)

I dont think it can be used on any cruise 28 days or longer:D

Ann

I'm sure we will hear from others what the policy is on the Sun. We did three cruises on her earlier this year, ending about two months ago so our experience is recent. On these cruises there was a notice in the Princess Patter stating that "no alcohol" was to be brought on board and passengers interpreted this to mean "no wine". I was chatting with the head of security and asked him. He said there was no problem at all bringing wine on board. Later, when we mentioned bringing wine back with us, passengers were asking us in hushed voices how we manage to get it aboard.

When people started posting comments in the last month or so that wine could not be taken aboard, I wondered if it was a literal interpretation of a notice similar to what was in the Princess Patter on our cruise. There have been a couple of posts in the last week saying people had absolutely no problem taking wine on board, and one post saying they saw wine being handed in at the alcohol collection desk.

I have been waiting to hear from someone who had to hand wine in themselves, but I don't think we have so far. My guess is that you won't have any problem with taking wine on board, but at this moment I can't give you a guarantee.:):)

By the way, future cruise letters are great. We (and 150 other couples) on one of our recent cruises booked a 49 night cruise around South America. The price was superb. We booked it in three segments to maximise our on-board credits. Our deposit was $300 pp and our OBC from the future cruise letter is $325pp. There are also benefits of being able to cancel or change to another cruise without penalty.

In the future, for cruises out of Aus we plan to take our chances and book and pay after the final payment date, so the Princess FCL will have no value for us.

I'm aware of the alcohol policies on the other lines. If Princess also has the same policies, what is there to entice me to cruise with Princess Aus again ? NIL.

Regards, Ann

David we booked the 35 nighter to Hawaii using our FCL and the princess rep onboard said its good for cruises up to 49 nights

In the future, for cruises out of Aus we plan to take our chances and book and pay after the final payment date, so the Princess FCL will have no value for us.

I'm aware of the alcohol policies on the other lines. If Princess also has the same policies, what is there to entice me to cruise with Princess Aus again ? NIL.

Regards, Ann

Ann, we cruise a lot and we like having the FCL just in case we grab a bargain and get the extra obc

David we booked the 35 nighter to Hawaii using our FCL and the princess rep onboard said its good for cruises up to 49 nights

Could well be.

Over the years we have had 3 FCL letters and each on has been different from the last.

Just out of interest I dragged out the last one we got.

Deposit is now $200A pp, fully refundable prior to final payment for voyages 30 days and under and 120 days for over.

Has other conditions in the small print excluding cruises 28 days and over, and conversion of the US OBC to Au$ for Sun and Dawn sailing.

I think they have changed again siince we got that one.

Also has a four year expiry date on it. I must use it by 2014.

Could well be.

Over the years we have had 3 FCL letters and each on has been different from the last.

Just out of interest I dragged out the last one we got.

Deposit is now $200A pp, fully refundable prior to final payment for voyages 30 days and under and 120 days for over.

Has other conditions in the small print excluding cruises 28 days and over, and conversion of the US OBC to Au$ for Sun and Dawn sailing.

I think they have changed again siince we got that one.

Also has a four year expiry date on it. I must use it by 2014.

David are they the free ones you got as the ones they have now it cost $100 pp

We could have used the FCL as the deposit for our 49 night cruise when we booked a few months ago. However, we chose to book it as three separate segments (using 3 FCLs each) to get extra OBC. There was no problem using the FCL to book the whole 49 nights as one cruise with the FCL acting as full deposit. Many others did this.

These are the FCLs that cost $100 up-front, not the free ones where the conditions were no-where near as good.

Archived