Wine........How much can u take?

• 2 weeks later...

We returned from a 35 night cruise on Dawn Princess on 18th May this year and had absolutley no problem taking wine on at any port we wanted to. Particularly at the five Hawaiian ports, many people were returning to the ship clutching their wine. We didn't hide it. At security the staff either didn't comment, or they looked at it and said "Only wine - that's OK".

I think the situation on the Dawn Princess may have changed (change of staff maybe?) since the cruises where people couldn't take wine on board.:):)

We returned from a 35 night cruise on Dawn Princess on 18th May this year and had absolutley no problem taking wine on at any port we wanted to. Particularly at the five Hawaiian ports, many people were returning to the ship clutching their wine. We didn't hide it. At security the staff either didn't comment, or they looked at it and said "Only wine - that's OK".

I think the situation on the Dawn Princess may have changed (change of staff maybe?) since the cruises where people couldn't take wine on board.:):)

Let`s hope the situation has changed.

I wonder if on the last cruise you could take wine on board as the ship wasn´t just sailing in Australian waters?

Sandy in Spain

Let`s hope the situation has changed.

I wonder if on the last cruise you could take wine on board as the ship wasn´t just sailing in Australian waters?

Sandy in Spain

No, that can't be the reason. Cruises on the Dawn Princess late last year and early this year were to a variety of places, including NZ. Very very few cruises remain in Australian waters - otherwise they can't sell duty free. even cruises up the Queensland coast go out of Australian waters (around Willis Island) to qualify for duty free.

I still believe the change of policy was caused by a change of staff.

• 3 weeks later...
We were on the Dawn this year and I can assure you that they do strictly adhere to the one bottle rule:(

But as you and I know Lizzy, different rules for the American Princess ships, one reason why these days I stay off Dawn and Sun Princess, inferior standards in many areas.

For those of you who have travelled on the 'Australian Princess ships' AND the 'American Princess ships' you will know what I am talking about, particularly about BYO booze.

We have returned today from a cruise on the Dawn Princess. The first Princess Patter stated that passengers could only take 1 bottle of wine of champagne per person on board at the start of the cruise. :(

At every port (before disembarking) I asked the person in charge of the alcohol collection desk if we could bring wine back on board at every port. She replied "Yes, Madam. One bottle per person".

I met people on board who boarded with a couple of bottles per person, although we wouldn't try it when it has been clearly stated "one bottle per person". They were not enforcing the "wine at embarkation only" rule.

I do not think it would make any difference if the passenger was Australian or American. :)

We have returned today from a cruise on the Dawn Princess. The first Princess Patter stated that passengers could only take 1 bottle of wine of champagne per person on board at the start of the cruise. :(

At every port (before disembarking) I asked the person in charge of the alcohol collection desk if we could bring wine back on board at every port. She replied "Yes, Madam. One bottle per person".

I met people on board who boarded with a couple of bottles per person, although we wouldn't try it when it has been clearly stated "one bottle per person". They were not enforcing the "wine at embarkation only" rule.

I do not think it would make any difference if the passenger was Australian or American. :)

Thanks for the update. It seems good news. I hope it´s the same or better when we cruise on the Dawn next April.

Who was the Captain and CD on your cruise?

Sandy in Spain

We are booked on Voyager of the seas departing Sydney on Dec 8 th this year. We have only ever cruised Holland America before and have always allowed 1 bottle of wine each, anywhere in the world. I was wondering if this will be the case on our RCL departure from Sydney, although RCL don't allow it on USA cruises I believe.

My DH just likes a cheap sweeter wine , nothing fancy, and never ever finds any wine on board any cruise we have been on that is as good as his "ole cask Lambrusco".... sadly he's no wine connisseur, but enjoys his favourite vino just as much as they would.

Does anyone know what may be RCL's policy in Australia? It sure would be nice to readily buy his favourite at a bottle shop in a country that speaks our language and had his preferred brands. We have had some interesting experiences in many other countries trying to achieve this. :)

Thanks for any thoughts on this, KJ

Thanks for the update. It seems good news. I hope it´s the same or better when we cruise on the Dawn next April.

Who was the Captain and CD on your cruise?

Sandy in Spain

The last time we were on the Dawn (April to 18th May) there was no restriction on the amount of wine taken on board, so I can't see that things have changed between May and July. I hope it is the same when you cruise, but I suggest you ask before disembarking at your first port.

The Captain was Ivan Jerman and the CD was Warren Smith. :):)

We are booked on Voyager of the seas departing Sydney on Dec 8 th this year. We have only ever cruised Holland America before and have always allowed 1 bottle of wine each, anywhere in the world. I was wondering if this will be the case on our RCL departure from Sydney, although RCL don't allow it on USA cruises I believe.

My DH just likes a cheap sweeter wine , nothing fancy, and never ever finds any wine on board any cruise we have been on that is as good as his "ole cask Lambrusco".... sadly he's no wine connisseur, but enjoys his favourite vino just as much as they would.

Does anyone know what may be RCL's policy in Australia? It sure would be nice to readily buy his favourite at a bottle shop in a country that speaks our language and had his preferred brands. We have had some interesting experiences in many other countries trying to achieve this. :)

Thanks for any thoughts on this, KJ

No alcohol is allowed to be brought on board Royal Caribbean. That is their policy world wide, so I doubt there would be exemption for Australian based cruising. I had friends recently on Rhapsody of the Seas and they confirmed that. Strict searches. Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wine and champagne is fine, within limits on Princess. It is the hard stuff like vodkas, rum etc they don't allow. They are both referred to as alcohol so its a bit confusing. We've just been on RCL in Europe where no alcohol can be brought onboard and they are vigilant in finding it. It is their worldwide policy. In Australia and Europe under 21 year olds can drink alcohol but not for USA trips.

RCL were total pains about our credit card with numerous trips to guest relations. Very embarrassing to be refused service or goods for what turned out to be their error in their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read this post with interest as it is similar to what was discussed last year prior to my previous cruise on Sun Princess. The wording varies depending on where you read things but basically what we did last year and intend to do again is take on 2 bottles of wine the first day and then at each stopover pick up another 2 bottles of wine. My hubby thinks it is good as I don't drink.

We got some Rum in Capetown last year and had to hand that over till our last night but we didn't mind that as we were aware that would probably happen.

Careful having a whinge on some of the threads about the RCL policy. The fun police will be on you in no time preaching the benefits of abstinence and that you agreed to the policy etc.

The bottom line is I like to drink decent wine and if I dont particularly care for what is on offer I like the option of choosing for myself. Happy to pay corkage etc but having to find a bar to get a drink to take back to your room is a bloody pain. Drinking a bad bottle of wine is like smashing a good bottle against the wall.

Archived