Top Chef and Allure's Molly Brandt

EVALUATOR

Saw Top Chef on television last night.

One of the contestants was Molly Brandt. She is the Head Chef at 150 Central Park on the Allure.

Overcooked the shrimp and was eliminated without even getting into the actual 16 final contestants.

Oh Well, back on the boat.:D

I saw her too. Very hectic goings on and she forgot about her shrimp being in the oven so it was overcooked. One of my daughter's friends who is a baker was just on one of the other cooking shows so we've recently had some personal insight into all the time constraints and the pressure people are under on these type of shows. When you are facing others of the same caliber, it only takes something small to eliminate you from the competition.

I saw her too. Very hectic goings on and she forgot about her shrimp being in the oven so it was overcooked. One of my daughter's friends who is a baker was just on one of the other cooking shows so we've recently had some personal insight into all the time constraints and the pressure people are under on these type of shows. When you are facing others of the same caliber, it only takes something small to eliminate you from the competition.

Sorry, but I don't think overcooking the shrimp, which was the main part of her dish, was something small. It just says to me that she isn't a good chef and it was an embarassment to Royal Caribbean. JMO.

Tom Coliccio said that eliminated contestants were not necessary bad chefs, they were just bad under pressure. From what I've seen, she was not bad. First time she mis-interpreted the challenge, second time she crumbled under pressure. She knew that she overcooked the shrimp, but at that point there is nothing she could do.

The judges liked the flavors of her food.

• 2 months later...
Has anybody actually eaten her food on the Allure? Just curious (I haven't).

My wife and i were on the allure this past november and we did dine at 150 central park, i am not a gourmet person but we both thought all her dishes were outstanding, she even adjusted my wifes dishes becausenshendoesnt eat meat or seafood, just fish. The only thing i didnt like about the dinner were the portions which were very very small, again i am not a gourmet guy and this was a tasting menu. After dinner she came out and greeted all the tables, which was a very nice touch. I think she is a great chef and have no doubt she will be a success in rcclnornin any restaurant she works on

We are just off the Allure and ate there twice. It was our favorite specialty resturant. The food was excellent. All dishes were well presented and tasty. No skimping on the food here. Just how much are hen of the woods mushrooms anyway? Creative salads and appetizers, delicious beef, venison and veal. I believe I saw that Trainman posted that duck was an entree the week after our visit. I was not disappointed, your mileage may vary.

Sorry, but I don't think overcooking the shrimp, which was the main part of her dish, was something small. It just says to me that she isn't a good chef and it was an embarassment to Royal Caribbean. JMO.

I would imagine that preparing food for a TV cooking show competition is apples and oranges from cooking on a regular basis in a kitchen you are in charge of! Different limitations and parameters, different time constraints, different kind of pressure entirely. Like anything in life, some handle it well, some do not, and others might ordinarily handle it well but simply have an off day. Not to mention that even the first people eliminated from these shows have surpassed countless others just to get on the show in the first place. To say she isn't a good chef is extremely naive. JMO :rolleyes:

Interesting TonyFred. Have you ever been on a nationally broadcast television show in the field that you work in competing in circumstances that you wouldn't ordinarily find yourself in, in an unfamilair environment, with a time constraint, where editing can change reality to perception? Perhaps there was more than meets the eye. I venture a guess that if you ever find yourself on Allure of the Seas and dine at 150 Central Park that you will likely enjoy the meal she serves you.

DO you really think a great chef would work on a cruiseline????

They are line cooks @ the most

And while she may be a good cook Its not her menu and any good chef knows they arnt anything till thier name is on the menu

DO you really think a great chef would work on a cruiseline????

They are line cooks @ the most

And while she may be a good cook Its not her menu and any good chef knows they arnt anything till thier name is on the menu

From speaking with them, I get the impression that the chefs at the 150 CP restaurants do indeed plan their own menus. (unlike those in the MDR)

From speaking with them, I get the impression that the chefs at the 150 CP restaurants do indeed plan their own menus. (unlike those in the MDR)

Are you trying to suggest the XChef for the Allue or the Oasis is going to relinquish or delegate to another cook when it is ther butt on the line???

Are you trying to suggest the XChef for the Allue or the Oasis is going to relinquish or delegate to another cook when it is ther butt on the line???

Have you dined at 150CP? Do you know the history of the the concept? She was selected from a group of CIA graduates in a competition. Ms. Brandt is in charge of everything at the restaurant as her counterpart is on Oasis. She developed the menus and oversees the preparation and service every day.

Have you dined at 150CP? Do you know the history of the the concept? She was selected from a group of CIA graduates in a competition. Ms. Brandt is in charge of everything at the restaurant as her counterpart is on Oasis. She developed the menus and oversees the preparation and service every day.

Wow she graduated from culinary school and I must have a meal planned by her...... RU serious???????

AND what you dont think the XCHEF of OASIS or ALLURE has veto power??? WOW OK

Archived