What happens to those turned away from the pier because of illness?

tangerinebunny

[quote name='soldham']I think it is a risk item. Ask the questions so you are perceived to have done your due diligence. Given what I have seen over the years in the queue MANY people are making false claims on these forms and HAL I don't think really cares all that much.[/QUOTE]

It may help you to know that these forms are legally mandated by the US Public Health Service ("your tax dollars at work").
The cruise lines have no choice but to give you one if they are embarking at a US Port, or boarding passengers for a voyage that calls at a US Port.

As Norwalk is primarily a North American illness, there is not much reason (nor requirement) to give you the forms in most non-US embarkation ports. But some cruise lines have adopted the practice as a company policy in every embarkation port.

[quote name='BruceMuzz']It may help you to know that these forms are legally mandated by the US Public Health Service ("your tax dollars at work").
The cruise lines have no choice but to give you one if they are embarking at a US Port, or boarding passengers for a voyage that calls at a US Port.

As Norwalk is primarily a North American illness, there is not much reason (nor requirement) to give you the forms in most non-US embarkation ports. But some cruise lines have adopted the practice as a company policy in every embarkation port.[/quote]
We received them when embarking on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Venice this past September.
Terri

The cruise lines should require passengers to show proof of insurance.

They won't do it because passenger fares will go up and they will find a line who won't have this requirement.

If passengers knew that they could receive a full refund if turned away at the pier, perhaps less people will feel the need to board the ship who are ill and could likely infect other passengers.

Someone waiting to get off the ship in Mexico so they could get antibiotics? Why didn't they go to the ships doctor. The only reason is that they do not have insurance and figure the meds will be cheaper off of the ship.

We had a family cruise a few years ago, kids and grandkids. we all got through check in except my son and family. We waited and waited and finally went to see what happened to them. It turns out my son had answered yes to a question. He had seen the doctor for cold like symptoms the day before and was given cough syrup. We all waited for quite a while for the doc to come off the ship to check him out. He was cleared and we all boarded. During that cruise my granddaughter came down with pink eye, which my grandson had had a week or so before, and I came down with my son's illness and took over his cough syrup. At any rate we all did get to cruise but did not end up being together a whole lot due to illnesses.

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]If I answered "Yes" every time I had an upset stomach the day of embarcation (I'm a nervy traveler and suffer from gluten intolerance) I would never have been allowed to take any of my cruises![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I am, however, exceedingly diligent about washing my hands after visiting the loo so that I'm not spreading anything that may or may not be contagious (or just gross) - I find it incredible that some folks don't![/SIZE][/FONT]

My son finally got back to me. Twice last summer he had to take RCI/Celebrity passengers from Seward to Anchorage where the cruiseline put them up in a hotel and flew them to Juneau to meet the ship two days later. :eek: He said tour directors would tell the passengers to never, never, NEVER mark "yes". Interesting.

Robin

A number of years ago I was on a combination bus tour of the National Parks and an Alaska cruise. When we reached the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver a HAL representative boarded the bus and distributed the health questionnaire. She also said that if you answered "yes" to any of the questions you would not be permitted to board.

That was in 2007. I don't know if the they have relaxed the restrictions in the last few years, but I do remember that this is what we were told.
Terri

Archived