What happens to those turned away from the pier because of illness?

tangerinebunny

I have no problem with HAL checking cruiser's health at the pier and turning away anyone who is running an unexplained temperature, but what happens to them?

I assume that HAL refunds their cruisefare, but what about flight fees?

Does anyone here have experience with this?

(btw, we're feeling great, but I'm just nosey....)

I have no problem with HAL checking cruiser's health at the pier and turning away anyone who is running an unexplained temperature, but what happens to them?

I assume that HAL refunds their cruisefare, but what about flight fees?

Does anyone here have experience with this?

(btw, we're feeling great, but I'm just nosey....)

I don't know for certain, but I'd be very surprised of HAL refunded anything. I know that neither Carnival nor NCL do. Two words for you -- trip insurance!

I don't know that they screen for temperature, do they? Usually the lines screen for gastro-intestinal issues -- vomiting, diarrhea...signs of possible norovirus.

I'm just curious--has anyone ever answered yes??? Would you really go to the port, get in the check in area and answer no???

DH always seems to have a bit of queasy nerves (any vaction--not just cruising) and it goes away as soon as we are settled in. Should he answer yes and not go on the cruise?

Anyone dumb enough to answer YES to any ot the questions on the health questionnairre deserves to be turned away.

Yes, it's much smarter to get on a ship when you have gastrointestinal illness, and ruin not only your own cruise but also for perhaps another 200 people who looked forward to probably the only vacation that will have that year. Typical attitude of many people today: as long as I get what I want, who cares about anyone else that my actions may hurt.:mad:

I'm just curious--has anyone ever answered yes??? Would you really go to the port, get in the check in area and answer no???

DH always seems to have a bit of queasy nerves (any vaction--not just cruising) and it goes away as soon as we are settled in. Should he answer yes and not go on the cruise?

Sounds like a case of nerves to me ---- not something based on actual germs. Did he ever consider taking some "calming" meds or supplements a day or two before leaving home ??? Talk to your primary physician about this. And --- No, he should still go, IMO.

I tend to agree that if DH reacts this way to any vacation, he probably isn't sick.

Those who are sick should be considerate and not sail, no matter how disappointed they are.

I'm just curious--has anyone ever answered yes?
There was a thread a few years back about a teenager who answered yes to one or more questions and the entire family was denied boarding. They didn't have insurance and lost everything. The kid didn't have Noro.

Yes, it's much smarter to get on a ship when you have gastrointestinal illness, and ruin not only your own cruise but also for perhaps another 200 people who looked forward to probably the only vacation that will have that year. Typical attitude of many people today: as long as I get what I want, who cares about anyone else that my actions may hurt.:mad:

Yep...that's the "me generation" for you. :(

Now wait just one minute, I am a prostate cancer survivor who had surgery and radiation therapy that leaves me with attacks of diarrhea especially when I travel. Do you think I am stupid enough to tell HAL when I check in?

Now wait just one minute, I am a prostate cancer survivor who had surgery and radiation therapy that leaves me with attacks of diarrhea especially when I travel. Do you think I am stupid enough to tell HAL when I check in?

I really hope we are able to tell the difference between what we know to be 'common' for us, and a true case of some kind of contagious gastrointestinal issue. People with IBS certainly suffer from diarrhea, but it is not contagious so therefore would not require an affirmative answer on the questionaire. At least that's how I see it.

Considertaion and common sense might be two concepts that apply here? :rolleyes:

IMO

If you know you have a chronic condition or an on-going one diagnosed as being from a source other than Noro like virus, the cruise lines are not looking for You to cancel.

I think we all know who it is that should be honest about their illness and speak up or not appear at the dock.

Think of someone beside yourself would be the message.

Travel insurance would help if you are sick.

I think that most cruise lines will refund your money if they refuse you passage.

Travel insurance would cover the rest if you are sick. You will have to go to a doctor and be reported ill. There was a report awhile back where the cruiser flew to England spent several days there and then went to board the ship. His wife answered that she had felt bad the day before. The cruise line would not let her board, they did refund their fare. They went to the doctor and she did not have any illness therefore no coverage from the travel insurance for airfare changes or extra expenses.

My health is no one elses business. My husband has knowledge of my health as I have of his, if asked, if absoultely necessary, we'll share the information. Then again, we'd never consider 'sharing' our illness' with anyone else on the ship.

Certainly that's another kettle of fish and no need to disclose that. And quite different than symptoms from gastrointestinal issues, i.e., Norovirus. I think common sense should apply here.

My health is no one elses business. My husband has knowledge of my health as I have of his, if asked, if absoultely necessary, we'll share the information. Then again, we'd never consider 'sharing' our illness' with anyone else on the ship.

No one is interested in your health, unless you are bringing aboard a contagious flu/noro virus with the potential to spread to others, infect others or create all sort of havoc for other travellers, staff, crew, ship etc, etc.

The questionaire has nothing on it asking for particulars regarding any chronic conditions some may be living with. They are not interested in knowing if you are fighting cancer, living with diabetes, herpes, hang nails, whatever. By all means keep it to yourself.

I really hope we are able to tell the difference between what we know to be 'common' for us, and a true case of some kind of contagious gastrointestinal issue. People with IBS certainly suffer from diarrhea, but it is not contagious so therefore would not require an affirmative answer on the questionaire. At least that's how I see it.

Exactly. I believe that common sense rules here! :D

Certainly that's another kettle of fish and no need to disclose that. And quite different than symptoms from gastrointestinal issues, i.e., Norovirus. I think common sense should apply here.

Common sense has become extremely rare on cruises these days.

I think you are expecting too much.

It is unrealistic to expect a passenger to sacrifice so much at the last minute. I see HAL as the bad guy here.

If HAL turns away a passenger for an illness, then HAL should refund ALL travel costs (including their travel mates). If HAL doesn't want to refund their money, then HAL better be prepared to deal with the norovirus instead because many people will make every attempt to conceal their illness rather than lose everything. Especially someone who recently recovered from the illness but is still a carrier.

igraf

ps Not saying that I have or would do this.

It is unrealistic to expect a passenger to sacrifice so much at the last minute. I see HAL as the bad guy here.

If HAL turns away a passenger for an illness, then HAL should refund ALL travel costs (including their travel mates). If HAL doesn't want to refund their money, then HAL better be prepared to deal with the norovirus instead because many people will make every attempt to conceal their illness rather than lose everything. Especially someone who recently recovered from the illness but is still a carrier.

igraf

ps Not saying that I have or would do this.

Yes, an unfortunate pickle all the way around. Pathetic, though, that some just don't care. And it would be really great to know the truth about what HAL's actual response would be in terms of refunds. I have 'heard' it both ways, and I'm not convinced of either story.

So the original question was what happens when someone is turned away? The answer, it seems , is that no one here has first hand experience. Someone remembers at some time someone posted about a teenager who answered yes to a question and his entire family was not allowed to board.

Then someone asked does anyone ever answer yes to the questions.

The resulting wisdom is that it is ok to answer no (lie) when you know that you are not carrying noro...and only selfish uncaring people lie when they KNOW they are going to infect the entire ship. I think the truth is just about everyone answers "no" and that makes HAL happy, because they can say they asked the question, but they don't have the staff or want to deal with numbers of people who would then be denied boarding (along with their families) or have to examine and /or test numbers of people at check-in on embarkation day.

ANYONE who flies to port or stays in a hotel pre-cruise or eats in a restaurant has potentially been exposed to and is carrying a virus.

On our last HAL cruise, we were in Code Red for 12 of the 14 days. They traced the carrier to someone who came in on a Qantas flight. I'm betting that person (and probably most people) had no idea he was sick when he boarded.

The inlaws got Noro on their Alaskan cruise on Celebrity this summer. Did they stay in their cabins??? NO. I was not there, but I had a fit when they told me about it when they got home. Four of the six of their party had it on their sea day ("Wasn't that lucky?"), and then went on their shore-ex the next day. They didn't think they were contagious!

My son worked for both HAL and RCI/Celebrity as a bus driver in Alaska. He talked about "The 'Walk" and the precautions they had to take (one time he and his roommates had to be put up at a hotel because another roommate had it), but I don't remember him ever saying if anyone was not allowed to board. I will ask him.

Robin

A number of years ago we cruised on the Dawn Princess to the Caribbean. Mid-week DH came down with some type of stomach problem (probably from the raw sushi he ate earlier in the day for lunch) --- by the next day, we saw the ship's doctor who quarenteed him to our cabin for 72 hrs, along with medication. Our cabin underwent a "deep cleaning" with crew in hasmat suits and a change of our cabin steward. However, what was really strange to us was that I was never confined to our cabin or any other areas of the ship ---

(I guess as I didn't have the same symptoms, medical dept. thought I was no threat) ---

I was fine but could have been a carrier infecting the entire population ----- go figure.

We now take special meds with us for this problem, just to be on the safe side.

Archived