What happens to those turned away from the pier because of illness?

tangerinebunny

On those very rare occasions when an ill passenger has the strength of character to honestly answer the health questionnaire in the terminal, the Medical Team visits them in the terminal for a quick inteview.

In most cases, the Doctor/Nurse determines that it is unlikely that the passenger has NLV. We know that many cruisers are not very good travelers, and many symptoms they experience are only that. The passenger then boards the ship, and is cautioned to be vigilant, and to follow up with the onboard clinic if conditions change.

In rare cases, the Doctor/Nurse determines that the passenger likely does have NLV. If the symptoms are not too severe or complicated by other health issues, the passenger is taken aboard and quarantined immediately in their cabin. They agree to voluntarily remain in their cabin until the symptoms stop, and they are cleared by the Medical Team.

It is extremely rare that an ill passenger is denied boarding. In the over 1,400 cruises I have worked, I have seen it happen twice.

One was a very elderly passenger who had what appeared to be a very extreme case of NLV; the other was also a very elderly passenger who may have had a possibly life-threatening case of swine flu.

It is extremely rare that an ill passenger is denied boarding. In the over 1,400 cruises I have worked, I have seen it happen twice.

One was a very elderly passenger who had what appeared to be a very extreme case of NLV; the other was also a very elderly passenger who may have had a possibly life-threatening case of swine flu.

In these 2 cases did the cruiseline refund the cruise fare?

On those very rare occasions when an ill passenger has the strength of character to honestly answer the health questionnaire in the terminal, the Medical Team visits them in the terminal for a quick inteview.

In most cases, the Doctor/Nurse determines that it is unlikely that the passenger has NLV. We know that many cruisers are not very good travelers, and many symptoms they experience are only that. The passenger then boards the ship, and is cautioned to be vigilant, and to follow up with the onboard clinic if conditions change.

In rare cases, the Doctor/Nurse determines that the passenger likely does have NLV. If the symptoms are not too severe or complicated by other health issues, the passenger is taken aboard and quarantined immediately in their cabin. They agree to voluntarily remain in their cabin until the symptoms stop, and they are cleared by the Medical Team.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this discussion!!

Is that HAL specifically or pretty much all cruise lines?

Thanks

Roy

I reported a cough while boarding Noordam in Ft. L. a year or so ago. I was coughing so badly that I didn't think I'd get through the checkin without them noticing...... I'd had this cough before and knew it wasn't contagious (connected to meds). I was sent to a corral, talked to the nurse, and waved on my way. She told me that they didn't deny boarding.......but guests boarding with contagious symptoms were asked to stay in their cabins for the first 24 hours or so.

I'm just curious--has anyone ever answered yes??? Would you really go to the port, get in the check in area and answer no???

DH always seems to have a bit of queasy nerves (any vaction--not just cruising) and it goes away as soon as we are settled in. Should he answer yes and not go on the cruise?

My sister was the exact same way when we were kids. She would be so excited and worked up about going on a vacation. She would always wake up the morning we were leaveing with a slight fever and an upset stomach . But it would be gone as soon as we were settled in .

So the original question was what happens when someone is turned away? The answer, it seems , is that no one here has first hand experience. Someone remembers at some time someone posted about a teenager who answered yes to a question and his entire family was not allowed to board.

Then someone asked does anyone ever answer yes to the questions.

The resulting wisdom is that it is ok to answer no (lie) when you know that you are not carrying noro...and only selfish uncaring people lie when they KNOW they are going to infect the entire ship. I think the truth is just about everyone answers "no" and that makes HAL happy, because they can say they asked the question, but they don't have the staff or want to deal with numbers of people who would then be denied boarding (along with their families) or have to examine and /or test numbers of people at check-in on embarkation day.

ANYONE who flies to port or stays in a hotel pre-cruise or eats in a restaurant has potentially been exposed to and is carrying a virus.

We were once waiting on line to check in when the folks at the next position ayt the counter had placed a "yes" check on their form. They were not immediately denied boarding, but had to wait and discuss the situation with the ship's medical personnel. We subsequently saw them on the ship, but have no clue as to what they had to go through with the medical staff.

It seems as though a "Yes" response is not necessarily a forfeited cruise.

Ray in NH

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Roy, I could be wrong but I believe [I]BruceMuzz[/I] worked for Princess...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Bruce Muzz has said in posts that he has worked for a number of cruise lines.[/B]

[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]From [/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30328000&postcount=19"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]THIS POST[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3] it sounds like he does not currently work for Princess ... or several others.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='igraf']It is unrealistic to expect a passenger to sacrifice so much at the last minute. I see HAL as the bad guy here.

If HAL turns away a passenger for an illness, then HAL should refund ALL travel costs (including their travel mates). If HAL doesn't want to refund their money, then HAL better be prepared to deal with the norovirus instead because many people will make every attempt to conceal their illness rather than lose everything. Especially someone who recently recovered from the illness but is still a carrier.

igraf

ps Not saying that I have or would do this.[/QUOTE]

I do not know who I would consider the bad guy on this. I was on the Ooesterdam in March. The first day at sea a woman was in line with me behind Bingo and you could barely hear her voice and she was coughing and hacking. She should have been quaranteed to her cabin. She told me she could hardly wait to get to Puerto Vallerta so she could get antiobiotics. A day after I got off the cruise I came down with the cold and it turned into pneomenia that lasted for 5 weeks. At least it was after the cruise.

At the time I was on the Ooesterdam I thought the precautions were kind of loose compared to other HAL ships on I was on. It could have been because it was only a 7 day cruise that turned over continuosly, there would have been a real problem if the cruise had been longer.

I get upset when people abuse the staff because they cannot serve them selves. I appreciate the precautions that HAL takes after my experience with Pnemonia when things were loose and precautions were not taken. I appreciate the Captain nagging and saying Wash your hands, Wash your hands.

[quote name='Monicaed']I love the question " Have you passed more than two stools today?"!!!
What size are we allowed and what weight? What about people who pass more every day!![/quote]

The best reply to that is, "no stools, but with all the fiber in my diet I did pass a peacock chair".

Those questions are so off to me that it is funny as I'm durable.

I had mono a few years go, to the point that when they first drew my blood that thought I might have a serious problem with liver and spleen. I had only gone to the doctor for a really sore throat, which had lingered for about 3 weeks and I had felt what seemed like a slight case of the flu for 7 weeks prior to the sore throat. During the time prior to the doc I was on 2 ice hockey teams and 2 deck hockey teams, all full contact.

Derek

[quote name='Typhoon1']Anyone dumb enough to answer YES to any ot the questions on the health questionnairre deserves to be turned away.[/quote]

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing when I was filling out the health questionnairre before we boared the Eurodam about 3 weeks ago. I agree, if your dumb enough to answer yes to any of the questions you don't deserve to go. :D

[quote name='Petroleum']HAHA, I was thinking the same thing when I was filling out the health questionnairre before we boared the Eurodam about 3 weeks ago. I agree, if your dumb enough to answer yes to any of the questions you don't deserve to go. :D[/quote]

Yeah, real hilarious:rolleyes:

as an IBS sufferer with medication I followed this discussion with interest.

I agree that no one should knowingly board with an infectious disease. However the question of insurance not providing cover unless this infection is found is worrying. IMHO if the shipping line decides a passenger cannot board they must be prepared to stump up for a refund or a re-booking.

[quote name='Viesczy']The best reply to that is, "no stools, but with all the fiber in my diet I did pass a peacock chair".

Those questions are so off to me that it is funny as I'm durable.

I had mono a few years go, to the point that when they first drew my blood that thought I might have a serious problem with liver and spleen. I had only gone to the doctor for a really sore throat, which had lingered for about 3 weeks and I had felt what seemed like a slight case of the flu for 7 weeks prior to the sore throat. During the time prior to the doc I was on 2 ice hockey teams and 2 deck hockey teams, all full contact.

Derek[/quote]

*LOL* A peacock chair....that is a good one . Thank you for the laugh today :)

[quote name='Typhoon1']How truthful do you think people are when completing those questionairres?

IMO, that is a total waste of time.[/quote]

I think it is a risk item. Ask the questions so you are perceived to have done your due diligence. Given what I have seen over the years in the queue MANY people are making false claims on these forms and HAL I don't think really cares all that much.

Archived