Pictures from Nov 2011 cruise including snorkeling by the pier

slabeaume

We had planned to snorkel at Governor's Beach or Pillory, but there was a north swell hitting the island, so we ended up back at the ship pier. I was pleasantly surprised that the snorkeling right there wasn't as bad as I had read. Here are some underwater pictures from where the swimming boundary ropes are and a few above water photos.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/slabeaume/2011%20Nov%20cruise---Grand%20Turk/

We had planned to snorkel at Governor's Beach or Pillory, but there was a north swell hitting the island, so we ended up back at the ship pier. I was pleasantly surprised that the snorkeling right there wasn't as bad as I had read. Here are some underwater pictures from where the swimming boundary ropes are and a few above water photos.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/slabeaume/2011%20Nov%20cruise---Grand%20Turk/

Thanks for the pictures. How was the water temperature? We are planning on some sailing/snorkeling in the AM, then hang out at Jacks.

Any direction on where to go snorkling by the port. do they rent the the gears?

The pictures I took were mostly along the swimming area outter rope to the right of the pier (looking towards the ship from the beach) and to where the rope came back in to the shore. The best snorkeling that day seemed to be in the middle of that area. Again, seas were high that day so sand was churned up in the water. I would expect on a calmer day the water would be even clearer. But it was much better then I expected. We brought our own gear, but I would be surprised if you couldn't rent some there. I didn't notice a rental place, but I wasn't looking.

Great pictures...thanks for sharing! One question...did you feel the trip to Pillory was worth it or are we better off just snorkeling near Margaritaville? And how much was a taxi to Pillory?

THANKS!! :)

I think if the ocean conditions were good, the ride to Pillory would be worth it. It looked like there was a reef for quite a ways out (all the way out to where the outter waves are breaking in the picture of Pillory I have in my album). The cost was $7/person @ way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived