How do I pack a Satin dress?

partygirl43

Just wondering how to pack my black satin dress for our seven day cruise. If I put it in a garment bag, will I be allowed to carry it on the ship? Or will it get check in with luggage? I don't want it getting crushed

Or wrinkled. Thanks for your help. :)

My tried and true method for packing with no wrinkles (even linen) is dry cleaner bags. For your satin dress, put a dry cleaner bag on the hanger, put the dress over it and another dry cleaner bag over that. We pack in a garment bag, but it's a rolling one and way too large to carry on. Everything comes out unwrinkled and ready to hang, unpacking only takes minutes that way.

Yes, you can carry on a smaller garment bag, just remember that some cruise lines don't allow you to go to your cabin until 1 pm or later and you have to carry everything around with you until that time.

Just wondering how to pack my black satin dress for our seven day cruise. If I put it in a garment bag, will I be allowed to carry it on the ship? Or will it get check in with luggage? I don't want it getting crushed

Or wrinkled. Thanks for your help. :)

I cover all my fomal gowns (silk & satin) in dry cleaning bags and pack into hard body suitcase. All have arrived wrinkle free:)

Another vote for plastic dry cleaner bags- if we're flying to a port we roll our formal gowns and dresses, if we're driven to the port (locally), then we carry on. As another post said, just know you most likely will not be able to get into your cabin until 1pm. If you board earlier you will carry your gown. We have been very lucky and have been able to get into our cabin early.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Poly satin will respond well to the steam heat from the shower. You can even take a washcloth, get it wet with very hot tap water, wring it out really well and run it over the wrinkles.

Silk satin? Well if it is charmeuse/drapey soft satin the wrinkles may hang out in steam pretty well. Slipper/duchesse/ stiff satin will be less forgiving... Try the barely damp cloth on the inside, and I mean BARELY damp, really wring it out well!

I take a small steamer when I travel. I understand the cruise ships frown on this. Use a good power strip with a fuse in it. It should blow a fuse in the breaker way before it bothers an electric system such as that on a large vessel like a cruise ship. The hair dryers draw far more juice... Just keep the steamer put away and not laying around so you don't put your steward in the position of having to police your appliances ; -)

Archived