Question for Host Mach!!

flgatormom29

hey...you replied to a post a month back about skyping on the conquest.... Never heard back about how that worked?

Is it worth it? Should i get the service or just call from my cell phone?

I tried using Skype to place a phone call to an 800 number from the ship, the Conquest, when we were several hundred miles out from port.

I could not connect. Now, I can't be positive that it was a bandwidth issue as Skype uses about 70 kps and that's about what I've measured on non-Dream Class ships in the past. I had problems connecting ANYTHING numerous times during the voyage which is why I hesitate to say it won't work. I can pretty much guarantee you that calls involving video would be impossible as the bandwidth required is about 1.3 mps HD and about 500 kps for non-HD calls...

Don't forget that a cell phone call will cost at least $2.49/minute through Cellular At Sea. Calls from the ports are generally much cheaper... in the range of $.69/minute. Some of the ships have special pricing for calls from the cabins on the ship's phone. On the Conquest the price was $2.99/minute.

:)

Archived