Leaving Vatican Tour Early??

account4fun

So we have a pretty full schedule in Rome and are debating a few last points that I could use help on.

We have booked a 7:30am - 1:00pm Sistine Chapel private viewing and vatican tour with Through Eternity http://www.througheternity.com/semiprivaterome/semiprivaterome001.htm

We will need to fit in the colosseum on the same day and the tour we want to join starts at 1:30pm with Walks of Italy

http://www.walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/tour_all_listing/1/65

My question is if we stay for the entire vatican tour can we make it to the colosseum in 30 minutes? If not or we want a little breather in between would we be missing anything "major" by leaving our vatican tour early? We are not huge history buffs so we are OK with not seeing everything as long as it's not St. Peter's or the Sistine Chapel. I haven't been able to find a tour schedule anywhere so I'm not sure what order to go in for the Vatican stops.

Thanks!

Can't know your interests, but we did a 2.5 hour tour with Rome in Limo at the Vatican, and saw a heck of a lot. Not sure what an additional 1.5 hour plus would get you.

You could make it over to the Colosseum if you had your transport lined up, but, I agree riffatsea, you are jamming things pretty tight.

Just from reading the description on Through Eternity's website (from your link) it sounds as though you will be seeing the Sistine Chapel first, before the museum is officially open. From there, it sounds like you will backtrack through the museum, seeing the other sights listed, including the pinacoteca (picture gallery), sculpture, etc. Then you will do the Basilica last. Again, this is just my interpretation of their description.

From the Basilica, you should be able to get a taxi pretty easily and head to the Colosseum within 30 minutes. I'm sure you'll want to allow a few extra minutes to find the starting point of your next tour. You may be able to duck out of the morning tour a FEW minutes early, but I wouldn't count on missing more than 10-15 minutes.

IMO it sounds like a rush. And no time for lunch......

Just from reading the description on Through Eternity's website (from your link) it sounds as though you will be seeing the Sistine Chapel first, before the museum is officially open. From there, it sounds like you will backtrack through the museum, seeing the other sights listed, including the pinacoteca (picture gallery), sculpture, etc. Then you will do the Basilica last. Again, this is just my interpretation of their description.

From the Basilica, you should be able to get a taxi pretty easily and head to the Colosseum within 30 minutes. I'm sure you'll want to allow a few extra minutes to find the starting point of your next tour. You may be able to duck out of the morning tour a FEW minutes early, but I wouldn't count on missing more than 10-15 minutes.

IMO it sounds like a rush. And no time for lunch......

I was afraid the Basilica might be last....this tour is suppose to include a lunch break so at least we have that already budgeted in. I'm afraid it will be a lot too but we have a limited time in Rome and my family wants to do EVERYTHING!:o

Archived