Freeport or Cozumel ?

Capecodbeachfront

Actually"

Freeport & Norwegian Cruise Line private island

vs

Cozumel & a day at sea with Carnival?

What are some of the virtues of both???

Price tag is about the same...

With Norwegian we would visit Nassau which we have done before.

With Carnival we would visit Key West which we also have done before.

So the third ports are kind of a wash to us.

This would be our second cruise.

We are in our 60's and retired should that make a difference.

Not big drinkers or snorkelers... guess we are kind of dull...

I would pick Cozumel over freeport any time, much more to do and a lot prettier and I mean a lot.

If you do decide to go to Cozumel you might want to go to a place I always go to called Mr. Sanchos you can do an all day all inclusive or just order what you want. It's clean, fun and quite safe.

You are not the first to give Freeport a thumbs down.

The industrial look of the port pier is often mentioned.

I had figured the day pass at Radisson would help???

Of course I could do 'beach' in Florida...

What else does Cozumel offer?

From what I read on other threads I likely will hire taxi to tour?

Does anyone know the website that tells # of ships in port daily?

Thanks.

What else does Cozumel offer?

From what I read on other threads I likely will hire taxi to tour?

Does anyone know the website that tells # of ships in port daily?

Cozumel has some great excursions. The Mayan ruins at Tulum are probably the most popular. Renting a Jeep and driving to the other side is also popular. It's beautiful over there. Chankanaab and Punta Sur are nice parks to visit. Or, you can just go shopping downtown. Even Carnival's pier in Cozumel is very clean and has some great shopping and eats. It's brand new.

http://www.cruisett.com

Well I love NCL, so that would be the clincher for me. But if you are asking about choosing on strictly ports.

I would have to say it would depend on the experience you wished for your port that you haven't been to.

I would choose Cozumel if I hadn't been to either just because I like to experience different cultures. Freeport is more commercialized IMO. My opinion is based on photos and what I have read since I have never been to Cozumel and the last time I was in Freeport was at least 15 years ago.

Looks like Cozumel as a destination is preferred over Freeport...

How about NCL private island vs. day at sea???

Other threads suggest while Great Stirrup Cay is nearing completion it still has a lot of "under construction" going on? One post said more than half the time tenders are cancelled do to rough seas? Anyone experience either of these problems? I did CocoCay with RC and it was fine but I'm not sure Great Stirrup would be that much different???

That brings me to "Day at Sea"... besides spending $8.50 a drink and $5.50 a beer are there special "at sea" activities we might like? I assume you are on open seas on the way back from Cozumel? Rough seas a possibility at the end of January??? With the NCL Bahamas cruise you basically sail at night. Then awaken in a new port each day. I'm kind of leaning toward the first time experience of a day at sea???

Although Cozumel is probably a better port for most people. I have found some good snorkel excursions in Freeport. I would personally pick the NCL cruise simply for the line over CCL. I have been on CCL 8 times and planning a 9th, but I really like NCL much more now.

I am with you on this one. Have been to Cozumel probably 25 times. It's nice but the day is pretty predictable -- get off ship, take taxi to Mr. Sanchos etc.

We have never been to Freeport on a cruise stop but did take an extended weekend trip there a couple of years ago. Stayed at Lucaya (Pelican Bay Resort) and took their ferry shuttle to the beach to use the facilities at another resort. I still think about how wonderful the sand was. Temps were 82 in the middle of January. Perfect weather, sunshine, great pools, drinks and food. I would love to get back there for another trip.

And, yes, I would pick NCL over CCL too.

Looks like Cozumel as a destination is preferred over Freeport...

Other threads suggest while Great Stirrup Cay is nearing completion it still has a lot of "under construction" going on? One post said more than half the time tenders are cancelled do to rough seas? Anyone experience either of these problems? I did CocoCay with RC and it was fine but I'm not sure Great Stirrup would be that much different???

That brings me to "Day at Sea"... besides spending $8.50 a drink and $5.50 a beer are there special "at sea" activities we might like? I assume you are on open seas on the way back from Cozumel? Rough seas a possibility at the end of January??? With the NCL Bahamas cruise you basically sail at night. Then awaken in a new port each day. I'm kind of leaning toward the first time experience of a day at sea???

Well I probably wouldn't say 50% of the time, but since it is tendered, there is a good chance you may miss it, which would leave you a "day at sea". We went in February and were able to go to the island, but you are at the mercy of the weather and ocean for that decision. If you are not beach people then the day at sea. If you love the beach and want the possibility of a relaxing day sitting on the sand then you may want to do that. I'd guess RCI's private island probably isn't that much different. As much as I love NCL and they suit our wants in a cruise, I would not base a port wanted cruise on their private island truthfully.

Actually"

Freeport & Norwegian Cruise Line private island

vs

Cozumel & a day at sea with Carnival?

What are some of the virtues of both???

Price tag is about the same...

With Norwegian we would visit Nassau which we have done before.

With Carnival we would visit Key West which we also have done before.

So the third ports are kind of a wash to us.

This would be our second cruise.

We are in our 60's and retired should that make a difference.

Not big drinkers or snorkelers... guess we are kind of dull...

If you really enjoy just relaxing with a good book either would work, if you really like ports, I would do the NCL. A lot has to do with which ships you are talking about as well.

Key West is a fun place as you probably know and Cozumel has a lot to do. I have never been to Freeport, haven't heard positive things about it, but then, for years it wasn't being used and now it has. I wonder what those who have been there in the past 6 months have to say about the island?

Nita

"Key West is a fun place as you probably know"

With this cruise we would be in port from 7:30 AM to 2:30...

I'm really not sure this would be ideal KW time???

Now, I'm considering I might want to sail from Tampa if I select Cozumel???

Bottomline: I know my wife isn't high on a repeat visit to Nassau which would be part of the NCL Sky trip along with Freeport & Private Island...

I tell her there are plenty of other things to do there other than the Atlantis and disappointing Straw Market. But I think a new port will be an easier sell.

I am not about to re-tour KW by trolley or 'train.'

So what would be part of a KW morning visit?????

Thanks

"Key West is a fun place as you probably know"

With this cruise we would be in port from 7:30 AM to 2:30...

I'm really not sure this would be ideal KW time???

Now, I'm considering I might want to sail from Tampa if I select Cozumel???

Bottomline: I know my wife isn't high on a repeat visit to Nassau which would be part of the NCL Sky trip along with Freeport & Private Island...

I tell her there are plenty of other things to do there other than the Atlantis and disappointing Straw Market. But I think a new port will be an easier sell.

I am not about to re-tour KW by trolley or 'train.'

So what would be part of a KW morning visit?????

Thanks

I'm an avid reader, so Hemmingway house was great for me. It's not very expensive and really interesting. The six toed cats are pretty neat, too. :)

Honestly, if my choices were Freeport vs Cozumel it's not really even a "choice", to me. COZUMEL!!! Two more words: NACHI COCUM! Loved it... :)

So :confused: Some people don't have that much to say (write). There is nothing wrong with that. They just have an opinion that can be briefly expressed.

I hope you have looked at the poster's history I was speaking about before responding. Not the one I was responding to, but the one I was responding about.

I am all for "man of few words", as a matter of fact I married one (33 years now). Sorry I think this poster is a waste of space.

I hope you have looked at the poster's history I was speaking about before responding. Not the one I was responding to, but the one I was responding about.

I am all for "man of few words", as a matter of fact I married one (33 years now). Sorry I think this poster is a waste of space.

Yes I did look at the poster's history before I responded. I found that they answered questions with one word responses. No matter what your opinion of their answers, they were just that...answers to questions being asked. I find your description of the poster above to be both rude and inappropriate. Neither you nor I know this poster or anything about them. There may be a very excellant reason for their one worded responses. It really doesn't matter why they answer like that...they are expressing their opinion like everyone else in these threads. They are just doing it more quickly.

You might like it if you have never been to a private island. However, GSC does not compare to the private islands of the other cruise lines, including one of Royal Caribbean's islands that is right next door. GSC has one main beach for the entire ship and there is only one bar to go sit in for a drink.. Yes, it is still under construction and it still has a long way to go. But even upon completion, the island still won't be great.

If it was any other private island, I would choose it over a sea day, but in this case I would rather have a sea day.

I would be rejecting the NCL ports because, personally, I don't care for Nassau and Freeport. I did not find the shopping to be an enjoyable experience there & found some of the vendors to not be pleasant. I didn't think Freeport was particularly pretty. I found NCL's private island to have a small crowded beach area. I haven't been there in 1 1/2 yrs & heard they are making it bigger so I'm sure it is nicer now though than when I went. The only other private island I went to was Half Moon Caye on a Carnival cruise, which I loved, so a bit disappointed when I got to GSC.

As for the Carnival ports, I enjoyed Key West. I like to walk & it was an easy walk around town. Key West does have a lot of bars and I'm not much of a drinker, however, I enjoyed hearing the music coming from the bars - some had sing-alongs & gave off a fun vibe - as I walked past or just stopped & listened. I enjoyed looking at the interesting large bronze sculptures that are not far from the ship area. The area that had the small gift shops was pleasant to roam around in, even though I don't buy much of that stuff. W walked to the furthest point & just sat on the small beach for a bit, we walked by Hemingway's house though didn't go in. Next time I would. Again, I love to walk - not sure if you do.

I've been to Cozumel numerous times and would go again. Many times we took a cab down to the shopping area & walked along the road by the ocean. We went in and out of the shops. We've taken a horse & buggy ride in that area which was nice. Over the years some of the street vendors started getting a bit of attitude, but majority of people there were just very pleasant people. Last trip we went to Mr. Sanchos Beach Club & had a very enjoyable day. We paid the all inclusive price & while it wasn't a bargain for me since I don't drink much, it still was a pleasant day & I got my money's worth (I'm thinking $50. pp it cost) even just having 2 frozen drinks, a lot of bottled water, food, walking on the beach, enjoying the ocean. You don't have to go for the all inclusive option. Next trip I'd try there again or I've heard good things about Paradise Beach. As for the sea day, I'm not one to stretch out on a deck chair sunning all day; I get restless. If you like to read you can generally find a spot away from the pool, look towards the back of the ship not on a deck near the rear pool and that's relaxing. There is sometimes some bean bag toss games going on inside (I don't do that but whatever) or on certain ships they have had someone that does a craft geared towards adults. If you have a balcony just sitting out there chatting, listening to music, etc. if enjoyable.

So...while this post is the opposite in length of the one-word person (that's what makes the world go 'round) & probably too long : ) just trying to give a basis for my choice since I wasn't sure what interests you have.

Archived