sea sickness

cabinboy1945

Teddie, My DH has developed vertigo when he rides certain types of amusement park rides, particularly indoor roller coasters and some other indoor rides. He doesn't get seasick at this point unless there are following seas, which BTW, are the worst for most people and those are when you'll see seasick bags out on the ship. His internist told him, the older you get the more likely you are to have a problem with motion and that vertigo is very common as you age and there's no cure. As a result, I ride rollercoasters at WDW alone. Body wars(no longer at WDW) and Star Tours(revamped recently and really cool) dont' bother either of us. It's funny what affects people. As a child I got car sick, but pretty much outgrew that. I can ride any amusement park ride, but certain seas make me sick. DH can't ride a lot of rides, but almost never gets seasick or car sick. Neither of us get airsick, but on one transatlantic flight when I was in my early 20's I felt nauseous most of the way. I probably had fluid in my inner ear and didn't know it. It's never happened again.

Sometimes, no matter what, yer gonna be sick... Once, in my twenties I was in the Caribbean, on a small boat (under 100') in following seas 25 to 30 foot... Everyone was hurting on that trip, no matter how experienced.

And no amount of ginger or Dramamine or fancy bands was going to help. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

On the big ships the stabalizers must make alot of difference up to a certain point, but even so....

Do you know the name of the generic one?

The generic ingredient in Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine is MECLAZINE, usually 25mg. In some states you can buy it over the counter, but in others, like here in MA, you need a doctor's prescription. Bonine is my go to...works great. On our recent repo cruise out of Boston, we sailed through a noreaster with 90mph winds and 120mph gusts (BTW, I am not exaggerating since we got this info straight from the Captain's mouth when he stopped by our table during a special luncheon!) I had taken Bonine and all the bouncing and swaying and lurching around all night long caused me NO seasickness at all! YAY BONINE !!!!:D

My DH has developed vertigo when he rides certain types of amusement park rides, particularly indoor roller coasters and some other indoor rides. He doesn't get seasick at this point unless there are following seas, which BTW, are the worst for most people and those are when you'll see seasick bags out on the ship. His internist told him, the older you get the more likely you are to have a problem with motion and that vertigo is very common as you age and there's no cure. As a result, I ride rollercoasters at WDW alone. Body wars(no longer at WDW) and Star Tours(revamped recently and really cool) dont' bother either of us. It's funny what affects people. As a child I got car sick, but pretty much outgrew that. I can ride any amusement park ride, but certain seas make me sick. DH can't ride a lot of rides, but almost never gets seasick or car sick. Neither of us get airsick, but on one transatlantic flight when I was in my early 20's I felt nauseous most of the way. I probably had fluid in my inner ear and didn't know it. It's never happened again.

A CURE FOR VERTIGO

About 3 months ago, me, and two of my family members, had a bout of vertigo. It was so bad that we all went to Emergency Rooms and had CT brain scans to rule out strokes and other diseases. My son was really bad and couldn't get out of bed for a week. Finally, I discovered that there is something called the "Epley Manoeuvre" which is practiced by some physiotherapists. My husband and I felt better after only one session. My son had two sessions and has felt fine ever since. My doctor thinks it was some kind of virus to hit all of us but whatever it was, it was awful. Many people suffer for years from vertigo. The Epley Manouevre really works.

My DH has developed vertigo when he rides certain types of amusement park rides, particularly indoor roller coasters and some other indoor rides. He doesn't get seasick at this point unless there are following seas, which BTW, are the worst for most people and those are when you'll see seasick bags out on the ship. His internist told him, the older you get the more likely you are to have a problem with motion and that vertigo is very common as you age and there's no cure. As a result, I ride rollercoasters at WDW alone. Body wars(no longer at WDW) and Star Tours(revamped recently and really cool) dont' bother either of us. It's funny what affects people. As a child I got car sick, but pretty much outgrew that. I can ride any amusement park ride, but certain seas make me sick. DH can't ride a lot of rides, but almost never gets seasick or car sick. Neither of us get airsick, but on one transatlantic flight when I was in my early 20's I felt nauseous most of the way. I probably had fluid in my inner ear and didn't know it. It's never happened again.

A CURE FOR VERTIGO

About 3 months ago, me, and two of my family members, had a bout of vertigo. It was so bad that we all went to Emergency Rooms and had CT brain scans to rule out strokes and other diseases. My son was really bad and couldn't get out of bed for a week. Finally, I discovered that there is something called the "Epley Manoeuvre" which is practiced by some physiotherapists. My husband and I felt better after only one session. My son had two sessions and has felt fine ever since. My doctor thinks it was some kind of virus to hit all of us but whatever it was, it was awful. Many people suffer for years from vertigo. The Epley Manouevre really works.

The Epley maneuver is one of the treatments that a vestibular therapist uses. If its a treatable kind of vertigo, it truly works! I've had two bouts of vertigo two years apart, both successfully treated that way.

Teddie

T!he patch is the only thing that works for DH...The drugs even the non drowsy put him to sleep...not fun to sleep away the cruise..tried the patch and had no problems. He puts it on the day before we sail and changes it very three days...It worked great:)

In relation to the "it's all in your head" notion...it COULD be, but it definately IS NOT true that it ALWAYS is "in your head".

I am the perfect example. The past few years I have gone to WDW twice a year. One year, I was in a 3D movie and I wore my glasses(for distance) under my 3D glasses. I suddenly felt really sick. I was looking around in the darkness in a panic trying to figure out how to get out before thowing up right there in the theater. I was ill the rest of the day and most of the following day with dizziness/nausea. I hated that I lost precious time lying in bed sick and putting a damper on my friends vacation as well. This WAS NOT in my head. I think the combination of wearing my glasses along with the 3D really threw me for a loop.

Next WDW visit, sat in a theater, and remembered last time feeling sick and trapped. Then I started feeling sick. This has happened several times since, everytime I visit WDW. Now, I know that this IS in my head. I assocated WDW with being sick, and sure enough, I usually had an episode of feeling like I am going to throw up when I am in a place that I can't quickly escape from. I have never had this problem before the 3D show. Now I walk around on all vacations with ginger pills, gravol, and a bag just in case I have to throw up. This too IS ALL IN MY HEAD. Getting very sick once in a less than ideal place has set off anxiety that makes me feel sick alot. Its a drag, but at least I know that it is in my head and that I am not really sick all the darn time.

So, again,the point being, our minds certainly can play tricks on us. But don't get me wrong, it is not always just in our head. Many of us are susceptable to motion sickness and you definately can not just chalk it up to it simply being in our head.

The best part is there is a generic version of the active ingredient In them on drugstore.com for 100 tablets for $6 where Bonine is $5 for only 8. I just used them for 7 nights on HAL a few weeks ago and they work just like the name brand ones.

Meclizine.

As one who has suffered from motion sickness all my life I can thoroughly recommend meclizine. Works very well with no apparent side effects, I only wish it was around in my childhood. I also carry "The Patch" as a last resort but have never (yet) had to use it :)

The best part is there is a generic version of the active ingredient In them on drugstore.com for 100 tablets for $6 where Bonine is $5 for only 8. I just used them for 7 nights on HAL a few weeks ago and they work just like the name brand ones.

Meclizine.

As one who has suffered from motion sickness all my life I can thoroughly recommend meclizine. Works very well with no apparent side effects, I only wish it was around in my childhood. I also carry "The Patch" as a last resort but have never (yet) had to use it :)

I have purchased generic Meclizine in a drugstore; I think it was either CVS or Riteaid. It's near the Bonine, and it was called something bland like "Motion Sickness Pills". As long as the active ingredient is Meclizine, it's the same, and much less expensive, as Pspercy mentions. The over-the-counter dosing is 12.5 mg. Sadly, it doesn't do the trick for me.

teddie

my wife is looking for something for sea sickness and someone told her to eat a green apple from the cafe before and during sailing. has anyone ever heard of that or what would be a good medication for it? she's tried a couple in the past but they put her to sleep.

I like ginger tablets because:

1) It is not a drug.

2) It was the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

3) It will work even after you start to feel sick (most drugs don't).

4) They work for me.

40-13108-x500.gif

Interesting thread.

I have read a bit on here about motion sickness as we have our first cruise coming up. I am not sure if I will experience sea (motion) sickness or not. I have felt mildly uncomfortable on small (scuba) boats in the past.

I have purchased some Bonnie and will get the generic brand as well.

I may even get some ginger as well.

I use motion eaze. (Motion Eaze dot com) I get motion sickness from walking down stairs on dry land but have never had a bit of trouble on a ship while using this stuff. You can use it after you begin feeling sick but I use it as a preventative. I put a couple of drops behind each ear twice a day and I am good to go.

You can order it online but I think you also might be able to find it at Wal-mart and such.

Oops - just realized that this thread was 4 pages long. Maybe someone already mentioned this. If so, I'm sorry. Unfortunately I don't have time to read through the whole thread right now to find out.

Good luck and best wishes.

I hate the taste of ginger, however so I'll get capsules for the next trip - the chewables are gag-producing for me.

I don't like the taste either. I just swallow the tablet. However, I also recommend that you drink at least a 1/2 glass of water at the same time. I only made that mistake one time - the first time.

I hate the taste of ginger, however so I'll get capsules for the next trip - the chewables are gag-producing for me.

We usually get the ginger root caps. I have a female condition that caused extreme nausea sometimes and I have to take it for that. Mom told me that pregnant woman are recommend to take ginger for nausea and so I tried it and it works for the most part.

Used the patch once--- both my husband and I hated it, but better than getting sick. Next cruise used Bonine... loved it. Will not use anything else. No sleepiness, no side effects, plus NCL gives it out free, but I always take some on myself. Also no problems drinking with it...yea:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have not cruised before but I am going to be prepared for sea sickness. My best bet is to use natural ginger chewable tablets and also use the wrist bands. going to drink up on loads of ginger ale and lemon juice too. If things get out of hand then it has to be bonine. Does any one know if it is very drowsy??

Archived