sea sickness

cabinboy1945

my wife is looking for something for sea sickness and someone told her to eat a green apple from the cafe before and during sailing. has anyone ever heard of that or what would be a good medication for it? she's tried a couple in the past but they put her to sleep.

my wife is looking for something for sea sickness and someone told her to eat a green apple from the cafe before and during sailing. has anyone ever heard of that or what would be a good medication for it? she's tried a couple in the past but they put her to sleep.

I don't have to take anything more than ginger root anymore, but bonine is great! Took that when we had 25 ft waves once and was fine.

Our family DH me, and 17DD.

We have always use the Scop patch.

Now mind you it does have it's drawbacks listed in the flyer that you should read and not throw away.

Dry mouth............yes, we drink a ton of water keeps us hydrated..........never had a problem with sea sickness.

Dilated pupils.............yea...........sun glasses.

The first time we sailed the Mariner out of PC, proud husband chose not to use................Hurricaine Dan, rough seas quesy husband, not pretty.

Now we put on in the morning, usually use it for 2 days, and sail with out any issue.

Safe travels.

Remember everyone has their own remedy.

Be objective.

If you are a barfer go for the big guns.

If you unsure...........try the other stuff.

Later

Green apples only work for some people and only for a short period of time. It helps with the nausea, but doesn't do anything for the actual cause of sea sickness. I take Less Drowsy Dramamine or Bonine (same thing). I know some people swear by the patch but I've seen enough reactions to not want to try. I know multiple people who have had to remove them due to very blurry vision. At our dining table last month, a couple both had blurry vision and ended up removing theirs. I gave the woman one of my Less Drowsy Dramamine and she said it worked really well. After that day though, seas were much smoother and they didn't need anything. I always take it just to keep it in my system just in case and double up if seas are rough. Because it doesn't work once you are already sick.

Green apples (or a few drops of lemon in water) help a little with nosea, it's like adding sugar to coffee when in reality you need caffeine.

It's important where you cabin is, middle lower level is the best, you need at least a porthole or any window.

Start taking ginger 1-2 days before cruise, during the cruise and 2-3 days after the cruise. Ginger capsules are sold in any pharmacy a bottle of 100 under $10 - your wife will probably need 2 a day, 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening.

Does Bonine put her to sleep? I use generic meclizine, it has much less side effects compare to Dramamine, and much less sleepy. I don't take it every day, only when the sea is rough.

Some people use patches, some sea motion bracelets - never tried those.

I took ginger capsules and they were helpful. The one night that it was awful, we were at a bar where our favorite bar tender was and I mentioned I wasn't feeling well. He made me a drink that was ginger ale, fresh lime and aromatic bitters and told me to drink it fast. It was nasty, but within 15 minutes I was feeling great!

It really doesn't matter where your cabin is most of the day. Unless you plan on being in there more than anywhere else, it's a non-issue. I've found that cabin position, unless you're on a really low deck in the bow, where you can hear waves hitting, doesn't make any difference. You want to be able to function anywhere onboard. I can always sleep when I'm seasick, but I can't always eat or sit and watch a show.

Get the patch...why worry and have your vacation negatively impacted?

I have known people who got really sick due to the patch...

I would not suggest the OP try it on ship...maybe before to see what side effects it will have on them if they choose to go that route.

Frankly, I think ginger and bonine would have fewer questions marks in their case.

canuckcruiselover said:

"The wrist bands work great for me though they can be a bit tight and uncomfortable."

My wife will second that. She swears by her wristbands. You may need to accessorize to match them to your attire.

RfCBZexj840K6sXOVexo97-EXhCbzvzGg6a7hyCCpE0gJWH1NT89IpqklgDi6BKZPNSxNj9GAPNdhSVWVOWIZ-NANQ2sVzpEItIfljtODFBefrSCrzP539zzKA6sc91dI0PpQj_6QwqCeU2YUR0JWU53Z_fE

My favorite is Bonine, it works just like Dramamine without the sleepiness. The best part is there is a generic version of the active ingredient In them on drugstore.com for 100 tablets for $6 where Bonine is $5 for only 8. I just used them for 7 nights on HAL a few weeks ago and they work just like the name brand ones.

I consider the scopolamine patch to be the drug of last resort, kind of like taking morphine for a headache. The side effects can be just awful and sometime make you think the patch is not working because you still feel ill. I have seen this many times. Some people do need to use it if they get severely seasick with any ocean motion. If I were one of those people I would stay on dry land. LOL! I was seasick once in heavy seas and it was not pleasant so when I feel lots of motion I take a Bonine just in case and have not had a problem again. I actually enjoy feeling the motion in most cases. Many people recommend ginger products, ginger ale, ginger candy. Please try some of these remedies before you just slap on a patch.

My wife will second that. She swears by her wristbands. You may need to accessorize to match them to your attire.

They really aren't pretty accessories.:)

I would mention that my friend wore the wristbands for one evening only and his hands blew up like balloons. I couldn't believe how swollen they were. They do leave marks on my wrists but they don't make my hands swell up.

My favorite is Bonine, it works just like Dramamine without the sleepiness. The best part is there is a generic version of the active ingredient In them on drugstore.com for 100 tablets for $6 where Bonine is $5 for only 8. I just used them for 7 nights on HAL a few weeks ago and they work just like the name brand ones.

Do you know the name of the generic one?

Old sailors remedies:

Anything with ginger in it, ginger tea, ginger snaps, candied ginger, they even make ginger capsules.

But my Dad, the Navy submariner always swore by saltine crackers and I mean a whole sleeve of them, in the morning or immediately after feeling nausious. This absorbs the excess acid in your stomach from motion. I recently saw this remedy confirmed on T.V. one night. But we can testify that it really works.

I've heard from the crew about the green apples but do not know if it really works. Fortunately, we are among the ones who never get the Mal de Muir:D

And that's what they give out onboard...

I've heard that recently they don't hand it out unless the seas are really bad. From what I've read, you have to purchase it now. Just bring your own.

Being a diver I always am interested in these threads on this subject. There are many remedies and depending on the person some or none can work. My step mother can't even get on an escalator w/o getting sick and we've tried EVERYTHING! But fyi there have been recorded medical studies on "natural remedies/prevention" and the only proven product is as many people have mentioned ..ginger.

A matter of fact Myth Busters did a controlled study (as controlled as those guys get anyway) and found that their test groups got the best results from ginger even when they didn't know what they were given. They spun them around while they tried to read books...pretty funny but not so much for the guys given placebos..they chundered all over.

Most of the seasoned divers take ginger supplements if anything and we've all been fine in the roughest of waters. I put wrist bands on newbies as I think it helps somehow too. They're not proven but even if it's only mental they always seem to work so we keep them on hand. Make sure you stay hydrated if nothing else as dehydration will floor even the strongest of stomachs when a ship starts rocking!

Archived