Please help me to understand the crew structure on a Carnival cruise

petesweet

What does it matter what their title is? There will be people giving you service. If you like that service enough that you want to give them more money, do so.

That's not the point. Especially with the room steward, you could be handing extra $$ to someone who makes an assistant do all the work you appreciate so much. With the wait staff, you actually see and interact with them, so that's not so much a problem.

Kathy

Our last cruises there was the Room Steward and one Assistant.

MDR....The Fantasy Class Ships kept the old way with a Head Waiter with his Assistant and service less tables. This results in better service! All other class ships have implemented a 3/2 Waitstaff system where they are servicing more tables. The Waitstaff is being stretched thin resulting in food being delivered barely warm, poor service and less personal attention.

Thank you for posting this fact. I didn't realize that this is what happened on our last sailing...it left a sour taste in our mouths! I added my review link in the signature if you have any interest.

We did not go back to the dining room after the first night...the worst fiasco of our thirteen sailings and of course we did not tip the staff in the dining room for the first time ever! We had great service from our "sheet folder" as someone sarcastically renamed our room steward and left him an additional gratuity.

I would NEVER consider removing the tips from my tab on a cruise.

Most of the Carnival ships have gone to a 3 man system in the cabins and the main dining room.....those that have not converted to the 3 man system will be doing to shortly.

In the PAST, it was a two man system in both the cabin and the dining room. I can tell you that the crew are not happy with the 3 man system becuase that means their "passenger generated salary" (I refuse to call them tips) is split THREE ways instead of TWO ways.

We should start calling it PGS! I love it and agree whole heartedly.

The stewards have a checklist with every cabin/passenger they are assigned. They are supposed to at a minimum introduce themselves to every passenger and mark them off the list. I've never gone on a cruise without meeting the steward but I can see it happening. Generally they all remember my name, which is very impressive to me.

As for the MD, they get a salary commensurate with their position but also work for tips. They don't get a cut of suggested $11.50 per day so at the end of the cruise you get an envelope to hand them. Keep in mind that they have a very difficult job, if you enjoyed the food and had good service at any of the food settings it's a reflection of the Maitre D. They manage all of the food service, from the coffee shop to the MDR. Personally I've always tipped them something, anywhere from $5-$25. It's not a whole lot but I'm also not eating a $50 steak.

Sorry, I have not been around for a while,

What_if I do not want to tip all the people that do not have anything to do with my trip?

I don't think the dishwasher or sheet folder, need a tip from me. They just need to do their jobs, and be happy they have jobs!

Arn't most of these people from third world countries that the average wage is very low anyway? Why do they need to be making $3000 and $4000 per month?

I am not trying to start a fight, but I have read several of the threads about tipping, and just don't understand. I get tipping the waiters, and cabin stewart, and the drink waiter, why not the roomservice waiter/delivery person?

Well, all of my questions have been answered (thanks to all), and now this has turned into yet another tipping thread. I'm off on my cruise, so do what you will here. Sorry if I reopened a can of worms.

Kathy

Archived