Please help me to understand the crew structure on a Carnival cruise

petesweet

I have a tipping question!!! But not what you think.

We always plan to tip extra to our room steward(s) and wait staff, but I am not familiar with the structure of the staff on Carnival ships. I am more familiar with Royal Caribbean ships.

On RCI, we have one room steward, one waiter, one assistant waiter (bread and beverages), a head waiter (who trains all the wait staff in his/her section), and a maître d’.

From what I read on these boards, we should expect TWO room stewards. Do we actually interact with both? or is one an assistant we will never see. Remember, this is a tipping question.

People on the Carnival board refer to a “head waiter,” but I’m thinking that is the same is what I am familiar with as the regular waiter, who has an assistant. We always plan to tip extra for our waiter and the assistant, and if the head waiter shows an interest in what is going on and does not just stay in the background, we would tip him (although not extra). The tipping structure on RCI does not include the head waiter or the maître d’.

On RCI, the maître d’ is in charge of the entire dining room.

I would be more comfortable if I entered this cruise with a better understanding. It has been years since we sailed with Carnival.

Many thanks. (And please don’t anyone destroy this thread with arguments about tipping.)

Kathy

I have a tipping question!!! But not what you think.

We always plan to tip extra to our room steward(s) and wait staff, but I am not familiar with the structure of the staff on Carnival ships. I am more familiar with Royal Caribbean ships.

On RCI, we have one room steward, one waiter, one assistant waiter (bread and beverages), a head waiter (who trains all the wait staff in his/her section), and a maître d’.

From what I read on these boards, we should expect TWO room stewards. Do we actually interact with both? or is one an assistant we will never see. Remember, this is a tipping question.

People on the Carnival board refer to a “head waiter,” but I’m thinking that is the same is what I am familiar with as the regular waiter, who has an assistant. We always plan to tip extra for our waiter and the assistant, and if the head waiter shows an interest in what is going on and does not just stay in the background, we would tip him (although not extra). The tipping structure on RCI does not include the head waiter or the maître d’.

On RCI, the maître d’ is in charge of the entire dining room.

I would be more comfortable if I entered this cruise with a better understanding. It has been years since we sailed with Carnival.

Many thanks. (And please don’t anyone destroy this thread with arguments about tipping.)

Kathy

Lately there seems to be one Cabin Stewards with 2 assistants. On my last cruise it was one of the assistants we would see the most. Did meet the 2nd assistant once we tipped the assistant that took care of us the most extra. (cash in his hand)

In the MDR there is a wait team of 3 people. Head waiter and two assistants. One keeps your glass full of water and serves bread along with taking away dirty plates, the other assistant is the "runner" to and from the galley. The head waiter takes your order, resets your silverware, and serves your food when it arrives. All 3 work hard to make sure it all runs smoothly.

The M/D runs the dining room making sure everyone is happy, he deals with any issues including changing your dining time, (if you don't like the time your assigned) he is the person who assigns your table trying to seat you with "like" people,(singles,families,etc) he usually walks the room and stop at tables chatting with people. Any problems you have in the MDR should be reported to him.

In the long run I think you'll find it a lot like RCI. :)

Let me start by saying that we are Platinum(almost Emerald) cruisers on RCCl and recently went on a Carnival Triumph cruise. When we first went to our room we were met by our room steward who was very nice and kept our room clean the entire cruise. We did however see two other people helping him during the cruise but they were never introduced to us. As for the dining room we had a head waiter and two assistant waiters that were responsible for six tables. They did a great job for what they had to work with but they were spread so thin that we did not get the attention that we are used to on RCCl. an example would be tea glasses sitting empty for 5-10 minutes. Carnival does the auto pay tipping and like you we usually tip extra on RCCl, but not on this cruise. I can't wait to cruise on RCCL again.

You'll have a room steward and he'll have an assistant, sometimes two. Usually, the room steward will introduce himself, and sometimes his assistant too.

In the MDR, you'll have a waiter and assistant. The Maidre' D will probably visit your table 1-2 times during the cruise.

Since you are paying a daily gratuity during the cruise any additional tipping is an individual matter.

The room stewards assigned to your cabin may themselves hire an assistant(or 2) IF they want/need extra help. We have been on several Carnival Cruises and on the last one we only saw our room steward but on the one before that we met the room steward once and after that only saw the assistant.

In the dining room there will be a waiter , an assistant waiter, and a person who brings wine/drinks.

The Maitre d is in charge of the whole dining room and only on one cruise did we get to know that person.

On other cruises we met only once near the end of the cruise when he went around to all the tables.

We do not tip the Maitre d if we have no contact with him.

We use the auto tip and we will tip extra if someone is special!

You'll have a room steward and he'll have an assistant, sometimes two. Usually, the room steward will introduce himself, and sometimes his assistant too.

In the MDR, you'll have a waiter and assistant. The Maidre' D will probably visit your table 1-2 times during the cruise.

Since you are paying a daily gratuity during the cruise any additional tipping is an individual matter.

Very often we never see the MD during the entire cruise but on the last night he is sure standing there making eye contact with every9one.

Our last cruises there was the Room Steward and one Assistant.

MDR....The Fantasy Class Ships kept the old way with a Head Waiter with his Assistant and service less tables. This results in better service! All other class ships have implemented a 3/2 Waitstaff system where they are servicing more tables. The Waitstaff is being stretched thin resulting in food being delivered barely warm, poor service and less personal attention.

[

If the room steward has 2 assistants, then you will see one of them in the morning and the other in the evening. If your not sure whether or not there are 2 asst.'s, ask the room steward. 2 cruises ago, we had 1 room asst. & on our last cruise, we had 2 room asst.'s.

One more note, at least on our last couple of cruises (fantasy class), the MDR soft drink orders and refills are done by a bar staff person, not the waiters even for soda card holders. Also the Maitre d' contact can be variable, on our fist 2 Carnival cruises we had little contact, but on our last one he came by our table almost every night, I am not sure why, maybe it was that we were seated near the middle of the dining room, maybe that we were at a 2 top table, or that I was in a full TLSO back brace (I broke my back in October of last year, and had to wear a brace any time I was out of bed for 4 months), who knows. Overall I have found the MDR wait staff to be very good and attentive, my only complaint might be lack of english language skills particularly on the part of the assistants.

On the Legend we had a head waitress, 2 assistants and a bar server. On Carnival the head waiter/waitress does not just train the assistants, they take the orders, serve and clear just as the assistants do. We also had the same bar server each evening. We never saw the Maitre D' - even on the last night after they delivered his tip envelop to our cabin.

I'm now more confused about tipping the steward and waiter. If I leave extra for these two, do the assistants get any of it, or does the main person get to keep it?

After 27 Carnival cruises I'm still confused about tipping the cabin stewards. On the last few cruises I've asked the cabin steward to write down the names of all who take care of our cabin so I can send good comments to Carnival after the cruise. That way I also know their names so I can make out separate tip envelopes for everyone involved.

After 27 Carnival cruises I'm still confused about tipping the cabin stewards. On the last few cruises I've asked the cabin steward to write down the names of all who take care of our cabin so I can send good comments to Carnival after the cruise. That way I also know their names so I can make out separate tip envelopes for everyone involved.

What a great idea. I may borrow this on our next cruise.

Let me start by saying that we are Platinum(almost Emerald) cruisers on RCCl and recently went on a Carnival Triumph cruise.

As for the dining room we had a head waiter and two assistant waiters that were responsible for six tables.

They did a great job for what they had to work with

but they were spread so thin that we did not get the attention that we are used to on RCCl.

an example would be tea glasses sitting empty for 5-10 minutes. :eek:

I can't wait to cruise on RCCL again.

Now you know why you pay substantially more for pretty much the same cruise

-so you won't have to suffer empty glasses for longer than 5 minutes!

You def. should stick with RCCL. ;)

I'm now more confused about tipping the steward and waiter. If I leave extra for these two, do the assistants get any of it, or does the main person get to keep it?

That's what I'm thinking. I want to generously reward what I expect will be excellent service, but I don't want to cause hard feelings by giving extra tips to the wrong individuals.

Kathy

now im confused about this.. i prepaid my 80 in tips on top of my booking cost already. and i was told it is already per-divided for me so that i do not have to worry about this.. so why are you worried about who gets what and all i was told there will be two people we come in contact with head waiter and a room steward..

and i see all this other stuff... sorry but im done paying tips

Lately there seems to be one Cabin Stewards with 2 assistants. On my last cruise it was one of the assistants we would see the most. Did meet the 2nd assistant once we tipped the assistant that took care of us the most extra. (cash in his hand)

In the MDR there is a wait team of 3 people. Head waiter and two assistants. One keeps your glass full of water and serves bread along with taking away dirty plates, the other assistant is the "runner" to and from the galley. The head waiter takes your order, resets your silverware, and serves your food when it arrives. All 3 work hard to make sure it all runs smoothly.

The M/D runs the dining room making sure everyone is happy, he deals with any issues including changing your dining time, (if you don't like the time your assigned) he is the person who assigns your table trying to seat you with "like" people,(singles,families,etc) he usually walks the room and stop at tables chatting with people. Any problems you have in the MDR should be reported to him.

In the long run I think you'll find it a lot like RCI. :)

Most of the Carnival ships have gone to a 3 man system in the cabins and the main dining room.....those that have not converted to the 3 man system will be doing to shortly.

In the PAST, it was a two man system in both the cabin and the dining room. I can tell you that the crew are not happy with the 3 man system becuase that means their "passenger generated salary" (I refuse to call them tips) is split THREE ways instead of TWO ways.

The MD is only useful if you have a problem with your service or want to change tables, otherwise I don't get why he thinks everyone should tip him more than anyone else in the dining room.

I always tip my server and assistant server, and the person that brings the drinks if I use them, as I always have gotten good service, except the one time I had to ask for a different table because of slow service (server had a corporate group, and took care of them before anyone else - which I would have too because they probably left a huge tip).

I also tip the room steward a little extra, as they will go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of, and they know who to contact if you need someone on the ship for anything. A good room steward will always have your room made up when you come back to it, and may never be seen at all, and doesn't need to be contacted because everything is taken care of. I like those.

If I find a good bartender that takes good care of me, remembers my name and what I like...I will also tip them extra.

So...remember to take along some small envelopes to tip those that give you good service, and if you forget, go to the customer service desk, they will give them to you. Also pick up your free deck of carnival cards. This last cruise I would stop by every day and pick up two decks, as we need them for our poker runs back home. :) I left with about 20 decks between me and the gf.

Archived