Pool Towel Question

Linco711

Is there a charge to use pool towels now? Can you just get a towel and return it without having to show an ID for charging ?:confused:

There is only a charge if you do not return your towel. You initially put the towel(s) on your seapass and when they are returned the seapass is cleared of any charge.

You can swap a wet towel for a dry one without having to use your seapass. It is a straight one for one exchange.

That said there have been a few threads here where people who returned their towels ended up with a charge on their credit card when they received their next statement.

Rule of thumb is to get a receipt from the pool towel attendant at the end of your cruise showing that you have a zero towel balance.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

If you are in a GS or higher, you will be provided pool towels in your suite and don't have to check them in and out. Otherwise, as pp said, you will be charged for towels not returned. We just swap towels out everyday and turn them in on the last day. That way we only have to provide our card once to check them out and once to return them.

We always get 2 towels per person....at least, at the pool....you need 2 to cover the lounge chair! For the beach, we only take one towel pp....too bulky otherwise.

As long as you return them, no problem. I'm not sure why folks get so upset about having to "check out" towels....most hotels nowadays do it, too! You have to show your room key. Not a big deal at all.

Is there a charge to use pool towels now? Can you just get a towel and return it without having to show an ID for charging ?:confused:

Just got off the Monarch, there is not a charge for the towels as long as you return them ... Yes ID is required and you must get towels BEFORE CoCoCay as well on ship, failure to return a towel is a $25.00 charge to your onboard account , oh and look out for the charge for water (pint size) as well - Every Nickle, Dime and Penny - Like they say Why Not? :p:eek:

We always get 2 towels per person....at least, at the pool....you need 2 to cover the lounge chair! For the beach, we only take one towel pp....too bulky otherwise.

As long as you return them, no problem. I'm not sure why folks get so upset about having to "check out" towels....most hotels nowadays do it, too! You have to show your room key. Not a big deal at all.

I am not sure what hotels you are staying at but in my many nights in hotels across the US, I have never had to check out a towel. If I need more, I call and have some sent up to the room or go get them.

If they want to charge for towels not returned, then I want a receipt every time both checking out and returning. It has been a year since sailing on RCCL so I have not come across this yet but may in one week. Princess has a much better policy so far.

If you need a towel, simply find a chair hog that has left their towel unattended for several hours and take it. :rolleyes:

I'm confused as haven't cruised with RCI for a while. Pool Towels ..are you talking about the one's that are in your room (usually 2) to be used at the beach & they were usually taken away from the cabin on the last day!? The last time I cruised there were 'Pool' towels freely available by the pool and when leaving the pool you just put them in the used towel bin. Has that all changed and now we have to sign for them??

I'm confused as haven't cruised with RCI for a while. Pool Towels ..are you talking about the one's that are in your room (usually 2) to be used at the beach & they were usually taken away from the cabin on the last day!? The last time I cruised there were 'Pool' towels freely available by the pool and when leaving the pool you just put them in the used towel bin. Has that all changed and now we have to sign for them??

Yes, the policy changed a few years ago. You now have to show your SeaPass when you get a towel at the pool area. If it's not returned at the end of the cruise, you are charged for it. During the cruise, you can exchange towels as often as you wish. At the end of the cruise, you need to make sure the return is properly recorded.

Some people here seem to have had a problem with improper billing for towels they returned. We've not had that problem nor have we found the policy unreasonable or difficult to work with.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm hoping things onboard haven't progressively gone down hill in other areas too! We usually sail with Celebrity so have luckily managed to reach Diamond status with RCI but as we have only done 5 cruises with RCI this might be an eye opener for us. They must be doing something right as it would appear that RCI have loyal followers. We are going on a 14 night cruise in March on the Independence so will soon find out. Thanks again:)

I have to agree. On both of our Allure cruise this year we had no problem getting or exchanging towels and had no trouble with billing that some folks seem to have. I think the towel charge at the end of the cruise is an urban legend that has spread like wildfire!

And for all you bemoaning RCI's sea pass policy with pool towels, how many bright blue Royal Caribbean towels do you think are gracing pools all over the world?? I'm sure many were taken before this very reasonable policy was put into effect!

I am not sure what hotels you are staying at but in my many nights in hotels across the US, I have never had to check out a towel. If I need more, I call and have some sent up to the room or go get them.

If they want to charge for towels not returned, then I want a receipt every time both checking out and returning. :rolleyes:

I didn't like the towel-check policy at first, but came to realize it is the best anti-chair hog policy that RC has going.

Interestingly, people that get the old yellow towels out of the spa will just leave them on chairs, since they are thoughtless chair hogs if allowed to do so.

You'll soon tire of trying to get a receipt every time at the pool. Its a paperless charge system, just like everything else on board and works fine. Just make sure that your final towel return clears your account.

I have to agree. On both of our Allure cruise this year we had no problem getting or exchanging towels and had no trouble with billing that some folks seem to have. I think the towel charge at the end of the cruise is an urban legend that has spread like wildfire!

And for all you bemoaning RCI's sea pass policy with pool towels, how many bright blue Royal Caribbean towels do you think are gracing pools all over the world?? I'm sure many were taken before this very reasonable policy was put into effect!

Ditto that. I've never been charged and as you pointed out, how many of those towels have disembarked in the past. In this day and age, if it isn't nailed down, someone will call it complimentary and walk away with it.

I didn't like the towel-check policy at first, but came to realize it is the best anti-chair hog policy that RC has going.

Interestingly, people that get the old yellow towels out of the spa will just leave them on chairs, since they are thoughtless chair hogs if allowed to do so.

You'll soon tire of trying to get a receipt every time at the pool. Its a paperless charge system, just like everything else on board and works fine. Just make sure that your final towel return clears your account.

They now also have this system at all inclusive resorts.. just returning from one in jamaica and mexico last year.. they give you towel cards you trade in and out for clean towels... same $ 25 charge...if unreturned

On our recent Allure cruise you even had the ability to pick on up as you got off in ports and return it as you got back on. Perfect!

Sorry...not a goody too shoes, but really tired of everyone complaining about everything! This is really no big deal and probably stopped what was a huge pilferage problem for them.

They give written receipts?

From what I have read on the other threads they have the ability to print off a copy of how many towels are signed oiut to a particular card. You can get that printed off on the last night and it is good ammunition to use in case of a dispute.

I actually prefer this system. I exchange my towels at the end of the day when the lines are short. Then I have dry towels, rather than wet ones to bring back to my cabin.

In my opinion your one smart traveler :D That's what I did I got towels usually early in morning as I go to the Jacuzzi and the at night before dinner return them, now each key card has a differnet code and they scan them like your getting on and off ship and they can tell you if you they show they are missing one. What I don't like is the nickle and dime routine - I mean really 4.50 for a pint of water, 8.95 for the drink of the day - Get real and dont touch the stuff in your "mini bar" and what is more frightening :eek: is that they have removed safes from the cabins on RCL's Monarch for sure even in outside deluxe cabins amazing.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but I am hoping someone can help answer my Qs...

I usually like to take 2 towels with me to the pool- one for my lounge chair and one for me to use on myself after going for a swim.

1. Where do we pick up these pool towels? Are they different than the towels in our cabin?

2. Where do we "drop them off" when we're done using them? Can we bring them back to the cabin, or should we drop it off as we finish at the pool?

1. Where do we pick up these pool towels? Are they different than the towels in our cabin?

You pick them up at the towel stations that's located at several locations around the pool deck.

The towels are different. The pool towels are blue with a big RCCL logo on them. The stateroom towels are plain white.

2. Where do we "drop them off" when we're done using them? Can we bring them back to the cabin, or should we drop it off as we finish at the pool?

You drop them off where you pick them up - at the towel stations.

After you check them out you can take them anywhere you want. I recommend that you trade your used wet ones for new dry ones before returning to your stateroom.

This way you only need to do one checkout at the beginning of your cruise, and one checkout at the end of it. In between you can change the towels as many times as you like.

I found the towel issue quite annoying. The towels are not that great and I found having to stand in line to get one and then to return it a real pain. The biggest issue is that I enjoy the pool areas most when the crowds are down and we are in port. During those times on Oasis, there was only one station open and it could be quite out of the way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame RC for the policy. It seems that it is in response the behavior of too many passengers. I will agree it cuts down on chair hogs. My frustration is with the fact that the policy was needed in the first place. The towels themselves are OK, but nothing special. The plush yellow towels you don't have to check out on X are one real differences between X and RC. The upgraded pool furniture is another.