Need help choosing a cruise

Whitesand26

Greetings to all! I am happy to finally have registered and started looking for a real holiday. We are father and mother with two girls: 3 and 5 years old, feeling we all deserve a long-awaited rest. There are so many cruising options!!! I need help choosing!

- Which destination would be both relaxing and educative?

- Which destinations/cruise lines are inviting families with small children like ours?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There are many cruise lines that are family friendly. A couple that I would recommend are Disney and Princess. Princess has one of the best children's programs other than Disney. Princess sails many itineraries. Disney is pricier and sails far fewer itineraries.

Personally, I think at these ages the kids will gain the most from the children's programs than the ports you will visit.

Many first time cruisers sail the Caribbean but that is far less about education than it is about the weather, the beaches, etc.

If it was strictly education then I would select Alaska of the places that are not too far away.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There are many cruise lines that are family friendly. A couple that I would recommend are Disney and Princess. Princess has one of the best children's programs other than Disney. Princess sails many itineraries. Disney is pricier and sails far fewer itineraries.

Personally, I think at these ages the kids will gain the most from the children's programs than the ports you will visit.

Many first time cruisers sail the Caribbean but that is far less about education than it is about the weather, the beaches, etc.

If it was strictly education then I would select Alaska of the places that are not too far away.

Keith

You could combine education and fun and relaxing in the Caribbean as well.

Samana DR: The mangroves and caves was a fun and easy excursion.

Some people reported going to a school and giving school

supplies to children who don't have much of that.

St. Martin: There is an underwater semi-submersible that goes to Creole

rock where the children will see an abundance of sealife

up close.

At St. Maarten Zoo and Park they have birds and animals

found in the Caribbean.

St. Kitts and San Juan have forts that have stood the test of time.

These are just a few off of the top of my head.

I would start with a search engine and narrow the choices down by time of year, month, (or even week) and destination that is appealing. Then see which ships are going there and read MEMBER reviews on here.

I've not had a bad cruise yet, and of course many things like ship, line and food are subject to opinion. I'm glad I've tried a bunch to find out for myself.

have fun. And ask away!!

It also depends on what type of cruise experience you are looking for, the atmosphere and activities on board Carnival are very different then those available on Celebrity.

Disney does a great job of taking care of families, so does Royal Caribbean. Royal might have more itineraries, ships, and better pricing then Disney it just depends on when/where you are going!

Most educational might be a European cruise, whereas Caribbean gives you lots of great family activity beach time and you can take tours of most of the islands where you can experience culture and history of the island.

Royal Caribbean also has a good kids program -- Adventure Ocean. You might look at the Voyager of the Seas (through next April) or the Navigator of the Seas (starting next November) from New Orleans. Or the Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral. I see good prices right now on the Dec. 1 and Dec. 8, 2012, Navigator of the Seas (but it does depart on Saturday, not Sunday, and we strongly recommend you arrive the day before departure which means arriving on Friday).

You might try for 2 connecting cabins to give you more room. Connecting cabins have an inside door -- like having 2 rooms but one cabin (but 2 bathrooms). There are also some family suites, but sometimes these cost more than 2 connecting cabins. You can put 4 in some regular cabins, but this is crowded, and probably requires using the upper "pullman" beds.

The cruises between USA Thanksgiving and Christmas are often the best prices, plus the ships are decorated for Christmas.

It is not too early to book for next December (or whenever). I'm already booked for April, 2013.

Archived