Volendam ocean view looks disappointing

Aptosian

I got spoiled on the Veendam with a lanai room with sliding door opening to the lower promenade. The same room on the Volendam is ocean view, no slider and the bed head is up below the window so you can't sit or lay on the bed and look out the window. That seems dumb, I want to look out the window from the bed. There are a very few ocean view rooms at the stern that have the bed on the side, but they are all handicap rooms.

Any suggestions?

I'd save my money and take an inside cabin unless I could afford a verandah. I once paid for one of those ocean view cabins on a very long cruise. Most of the time I had the drapes drawn against the heat and didn't miss the "view" at all.

Ever since, I book an inside cabin on whichever deck is wrap-around. Just a few steps to a very big verandah! The inside cabins that I have experienced all have the false drapes that tell my brain I could see out if I wanted to.

I had a room as you describe, OV on Lower Prom. deck on Amsterdam. While we were in the Panama Canal I got overheated outside and needed to come into the air conditioning... but didn't want to miss the locks. I ordered room service, got some ice water and climbed into the window sill to sit with my camera. I had a pillow at my back and was oh so comfortable. It was much easier than it may sound. We got that room on a Cat C guarantee and it was only $100pp more than the guarantee inside.

I kept the TV on the bow cam so I could see what was coming up and if I wanted to take better photos I went the few steps outside to take my shots and then back to my perch in the cool AC. I loved that room but the prices worked out well. I think if it were a lot more than the inside I'd go for the inside too as suggested.

I got spoiled on the Veendam with a lanai room with sliding door opening to the lower promenade. The same room on the Volendam is ocean view, no slider and the bed head is up below the window so you can't sit or lay on the bed and look out the window. That seems dumb, I want to look out the window from the bed. There are a very few ocean view rooms at the stern that have the bed on the side, but they are all handicap rooms.

Any suggestions?

Your lanai room discriminates against other passengers that have a right to sit and walk freely around the lower prom deck....

Your lanai room discriminates against other passengers that have a right to sit and walk freely around the lower prom deck....

I am not sure how that discriminates, yes there are lounge chairs that are outside the sliders but I don't care if anyone uses them, the promenade deck is for everyone and everyone used it. The only advantage is I can walk directly outside and I have a floor to ceiling view.

I am not sure how that discriminates, yes there are lounge chairs that are outside the sliders but I don't care if anyone uses them, the promenade deck is for everyone and everyone used it. The only advantage is I can walk directly outside and I have a floor to ceiling view.

Most pax put immediately a reserved sign for them only on the chairs...

There is not supposed to be any reserving of the chairs. It not right to stick a reserve sign on a chair and then leave unoccupied for hours on end. We were just on the Oosterdam and we did not see anything that indicated that anyone was trying to reserve a chair.

There is not supposed to be any reserving of the chairs. It not right to stick a reserve sign on a chair and then leave unoccupied for hours on end. We were just on the Oosterdam and we did not see anything that indicated that anyone was trying to reserve a chair.

TWO loungers are reserved for EACH lanai stateroom! ;)

We had an oceanview on Main Deck of the Veendam to South America and Antarctica. When the "sensory overload" of cruising Antarctica hit me, I went below to take a nap. Then some penguins floated by our window on an iceberg! I arranged all the pillows, bolsters, etc., so that I could sit up on the bed with my stockinged feet, and camera, toward the window. Caught a whale's fluke that way :)

We were very close to the aft elevators and stairs, so could zip up one level to the promenade deck very quickly. Also found some "secret" stairs to the rear promenade deck where you can see both port and starboard easily.

Any suggestions?

Well, the bed has been set up by the stateroom stewards as a "queen" bed! To "clear" the area in front of the window for purposes of viewing, you may request the beds to be configured as "twin" beds, either at the time of your booking, (?with a t/a), or request that it done so with the stateroom stewards upon embarkation! ;)

... you may request the beds to be configured as "twin" beds, either at the time of your booking, (?with a t/a),
We always ask for it and it has never been done when we boarded. As I said two posts before yours, it only takes the steward a few minutes to change it.

We prefer the Ocean view cabins. Have the beds split and you can see everything passing your window from the beds. My husband makes a very comfy "chair" by putting the pillows in the window. He sits in the window and reads for hours.

I believe HAL has a marker on those loungers reminding everyone that it is for the use of occupants of the lanai rooms. :rolleyes:

And that is discrimination, this is not their balcony, people from other rooms should be able to walk and sit anywhere around the lower prom deck, and not only be able to sit on the far sides looking at a steel railing, this is a public walk around deck..

And that is discrimination, this is not their balcony, people from other rooms should be able to walk and sit anywhere around the lower prom deck, and not only be able to sit on the far sides looking at a steel railing, this is a public walk around deck..

Balderdash! HAL sells cabins like that. Everyone that wants to can still walk around the Promenade deck to their heart's content. And a Lanai cabin comes with two allocated loungers. If you don't like it, don't sail on one of the ships that have Lanai cabins.

I believe that the Lani Cabins were a take away from all other passengers. Holland America has the right to do as they wish as they are the owner. In return I have the right to refuse booking on any ship which has a Lani cabin and that is exactly what I intend to do. As far as I am concerned the Veendam has sunk.

Balderdash! HAL sells cabins like that. Everyone that wants to can still walk around the Promenade deck to their heart's content. And a Lanai cabin comes with two allocated loungers. If you don't like it, don't sail on one of the ships that have Lanai cabins.

And that's exactly what I do, and people that have a room on another deck have the same rights to sit at these lanai cabins with a view of the water instead of steel, the promenade deck is for everyone to walk around and sit around on a first come basis, and again the 2 reserved chairs make it look like it is their territory aka balcony!

I believe that the Lani Cabins were a take away from all other passengers. Holland America has the right to do as they wish as they are the owner. In return I have the right to refuse booking on any ship which has a Lani cabin and that is exactly what I intend to do. As far as I am concerned the Veendam has sunk.

I agree with you 100%

Archived