Ncl pride of america -- hawaii

scooterj

We are about a month away from our departure date and I have a few questions for those of you who have taken this cruise before. I will be travelling with my husband and two sons -- ages 18 and 22. We arrive in Honolulu 3 days before the cruise begins and we are renting a car to do some touring on our own.

1. Are there any excursions you highly recommend on any of the islands?

2. Are NCL's prices for excursions reasonable or are there other companies you can recommend?

3. We really want to do a helicopter tour but they are so pricey for a family of 4. Do you recommend this tour and if so which is the best and most reasonable?

Thanks so much!

If you go to the Homeports boards for Hawaii, you will find answers to your questions over there. Most people rent cars at each port, and DIY tours tailored to what they want to see. Yes, NCL excursions are quite expensive, but that is industry wide. Self catered tours are much less.

Have a great time! Be sure to do some whale spotting, they should be cavorting in the warm waters by then.

As Sauer suggested you should go to the homeport boards to get recommendations for private companies as they probably are less expensive. The other thing is that since this is Hawaii if by some chance you miss the ship all you need to do is get to your next port which wouldn't be that difficult as you don't need your passport.

Have a great cruise! This one is on my bucket list.:D

We are about a month away from our departure date and I have a few questions for those of you who have taken this cruise before. I will be travelling with my husband and two sons -- ages 18 and 22. We arrive in Honolulu 3 days before the cruise begins and we are renting a car to do some touring on our own.

2. Are NCL's prices for excursions reasonable or are there other companies you can recommend?

3. We really want to do a helicopter tour but they are so pricey for a family of 4. Do you recommend this tour and if so which is the best and most reasonable?

Thanks so much!

Looks like my other post got deleted by the moderator. Maybe it was the link I posted? Who knows....

Anyway I'll try this. Check out Costco, they have a good discount on Helicopter rides under Entertainment-tickets-gifts.

Thanks so much!

1. We had a blast doing the Poipu Beach surfing lesson (Kauai). We booked thru NCL. Also, if you like snorkeling, Molokini crater (Maui) is wonderful. Again thru NCL.

2. I'm not sure on the comparison between NCL and private tour operators. But booking a rental car thru NCL was only $40 per day for us in 2009, even for a Jeep, which we rented in Maui for our drive to the Old Lahaina Luau (which we booked separately thru OLL's website and is much better than the excursion thru NCL)

3. We did the Blue Hawaiian tour in Hilo. This one flies over Kilauea volcano. So totally cool!! Booked thru Blue Hawaiian tours.

HTH

Enjoy!!! It's a wonderful cruise.

Since the ship overnights in both Maui and Kauai you should not have any problem with missing the ship if you rent a car.

When we went a couple of years ago, we had such a good time. It was probably our very favorite cruise, not just because it was Hawaii, but because of Pride of America and the overnights in those two ports.

If you will buy the blue books, Hawaii Revealed (they have them for each island) you can figure out where you want to go, and go in your rental car. This will save you thousands of dollars considering that you are a family of 4. Depending on the season of the year in which you travel, the car can cost as little as $40 a day including tax, and that's a car comfortable enough for you 4. There are discount car rental websites specifically for Hawaii that you will find on the Hawaii port of call board.

Remember that your own car insurance, and/or any credit card with that provision, allows you to waive the extra insurance coverage box! If you don't believe me, call your insurance agent.

We were upgraded every time, as well!

if you really want to take an organized tour, check out Roberts who will be so much cheaper than an NCL tour. We did ONE NCL tour and that was on disembarkation day so our luggage would ride beneath us and we'd be dropped at the air port. Although most of the Hawaii tours will include one or two stops for shopping (ours was at the Dole Pineapple Plantation, but we took no tour there, just a bathroom break; a coffee selling place, a shrimp truck place where we each bought our own meal) but at least we did get to see the North Shore where the surf is so high.

If whale watching was on your list, be reminded that the season does not start in earnest until December. Then they go back to Alaska for summer.

We sailed POA last April. I travelled with two 15 year old girls who were active. I rented a car on all islands and kept it overnight, the parking was free to moderate but worth it. I booked a snorkel, luau, and zip line tour through an independent tour operator and was very happy. I would highly recommend the zip line tour at Princeville ranch on Kaui. I think you're entire family would enjoy it. I went through the independent tour operator because I didn't want to be part of the cattle round-up on NCL's tours and since we were overnight I didn't worry about missing the ship. Have Fun

Archived