Men's formalwear

kitty allen

Newbie husband is having formal freakout. Will someone please confirm that a jacket and tie is sufficient? He's is worried about having to pack all sorts of outfits. I keep telling him his daily outfit of khakis and button shirt is all he needs for everyday.

If, however, he wants to wear a tux and doesn't want to worry about packing one they are available for rent through cruiselineformal.com. We have our own tuxes but sometimes prefer to rent so we don't have to worry about packing and having them pressed once onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie husband is having formal freakout. Will someone please confirm that a jacket and tie is sufficient? He's is worried about having to pack all sorts of outfits. I keep telling him his daily outfit of khakis and button shirt is all he needs for everyday.

If you wish to skip formal nights in the main dining room, he does not even need a jacket. You may eat in the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants which are all smart casual on formal nights. I am only giving you this as another choice and not recommending anything.

My DH gave up taking a tuxedo several cruises ago and now wears a dark suit and tie for formal nights. But, we have lately seen a BIG mix of dress for men in the MDR. Your husband would be perfectly comfortable in a jacket and tie!:)

My DH gave up taking a tuxedo several cruises ago and now wears a dark suit and tie for formal nights. But, we have lately seen a BIG mix of dress for men in the MDR. Your husband would be perfectly comfortable in a jacket and tie!:)

I've done the same, bring coat and tie & leave the tux at home.

You'll be fine. There is essentially no enforcement of the dress code anymore. AND if the Maitre D' really wants to be a crab ( they usually don't), then he will offer you a jacket to either wear or drape on the back of your chair.

Not advocating any position, here, just stating what was our experience on our last cruise.

Thanks! I think he is afraid cruisers are rich and snooty and he won't fit in - like we'll be trapped in an episode of "Dynasty". I doubt they would have a jacket to fit him (one of the reasons he doesn't have more dressy clothes). As as for skipping formal night, he can stay in the cabin, but I'm going to dine in style!

Thanks! I think he is afraid cruisers are rich and snooty and he won't fit in - like we'll be trapped in an episode of "Dynasty". I doubt they would have a jacket to fit him (one of the reasons he doesn't have more dressy clothes). As as for skipping formal night, he can stay in the cabin, but I'm going to dine in style!

Don't let him eat in the cabin alone!!!

A jacket and tie will do fine.

Tell him the Dynasty type have their own yacht! The majority of cruisers are very Middle American. Not to worry one bit!

We are just back from our first X cruise (loved it! and have cruised twice prevously on X's pretty daughter Azamara) I wore a DJ (Tux) and was one of about 10-15% who did so. Most fellows wore suits or jackets, but all appeared to wear ties and all were well groomed and smartly turned out.

Relax and enjoy your cruise; Bon Voyage

DW and I enjoy the opportunity to dress up. For us it's part of the cruise experience. We don't have many opportunities to feel a bit elegant.

But we have no objection whatsoever to being with people who choose to wear less formal styles. We prefer to evaluate others based on their behavior, not their attire.

If I did not rent a tux, I would probably wear a dark suit or a navy blazer with grey pants.

And as others before have said, a jacket and tie will be just fine!

Suit and tie etc., is acceptable for formal nights. However, jacket and tie and slacks is not suggested by the dress code.

Additionally, I believe that smart casual is now acceptable for Blu.

To the OP:

Don't let others try to intimidate you or your husband. A jacket, tie, and slacks are indeed acceptable on so called formal night. A tux or a suit most certainly do not have to be worn just because they are "sugggested".

To the OP:

Don't let others try to intimidate you or your husband. A jacket, tie, and slacks are indeed acceptable on so called formal night. A tux or a suit most certainly do not have to be worn just because they are "sugggested".

Perhaps I missed it.Did not see where anyone tried to intimidate the OP about formal night.

When did they change the name to So Called formal night? I guess I missed that too.

To the OP: A Jacket and tie will be fine and most people overpack for their first cruise.Whether he will feel underdressed or not by those wearing a Tux only you know.

Sometimes I wear one other times I wear a nice Blue Blazer that can go with nice grey pants or Khakis

Slacks can be worn 2/3 times for evenings and besides there is laundry service on the ship(not self service) and is IMHO resonably priced

Perhaps I missed it.Did not see where anyone tried to intimidate the OP about formal night.

When did they change the name to So Called formal night? I guess I missed that too.

To the OP: A Jacket and tie will be fine and most people overpack for their first cruise.Whether he will feel underdressed or not by those wearing a Tux only you know.

Sometimes I wear one other times I wear a nice Blue Blazer that can go with nice grey pants or Khakis

Slacks can be worn 2/3 times for evenings and besides there is laundry service on the ship(not self service) and is IMHO resonably priced

I agree, no one is trying to intimadate anyone. I believe what Jack is pointing out is that a suit and tie is what is called for in the dress code while a jacket and tie is not. However realistically they don't enforce the dress code so many men wear a sport jacket and a tie. Certainly did not see any intimadation though...

I cobbled together my own formal wear from sales and other sources -

black velvet sport coat on sale for $30 at Macy's

Black tuxedo pants used from a formal wear rental shop $20

Pleated shirt, tie, studs, cummerbund new Amazon $35

Wear the jacket with other things so for a little investment it looks really good and photographs you cannot tell it is not a real tux.

I agree, no one is trying to intimadate anyone. I believe what Jack is pointing out is that a suit and tie is what is called for in the dress code while a jacket and tie is not. However realistically they don't enforce the dress code so many men wear a sport jacket and a tie. Certainly did not see any intimadation though...

Thank you; and, you are correct.

Regardless of what is posted by Celebrity, they allow men into the MDR without jackets, ties, long sleeve shirts on formal night. I personally have seen this on all cruise lines such as HAL, Princess, RCI and X on formal nights within the past 12 months. I have sat next to men wearing just slacks and shirt and they were never told to change or wear a coat/jacket. Cruise lines don't want to loose a customer.

However Men, don't try to wear a tank top into the MDR for breakfast or lunch. That's a big NO-NO!

Took the words right outta' my mouth, well, I couldn't come up with the words as well as you did but that is what what I was thinking. That doesn't necessarily make us right, but it takes away the denial of others that maybe there was a sharp comment from Jack. There was.

Jacket and tie and you'll be good to go.

Jack was pointing out what Celebrity's written dress code is and he was correct in what he wrote, it is not his fault that Celebrity doesn't follow their own rules...If that is harsh then I would hate to see when someone actually does write something harsh...

Regardless of what is posted by Celebrity, they allow men into the MDR without jackets, ties, long sleeve shirts on formal night. I personally have seen this on all cruise lines such as HAL, Princess, RCI and X on formal nights within the past 12 months. I have sat next to men wearing just slacks and shirt and they were never told to change or wear a coat/jacket. Cruise lines don't want to loose a customer.

However Men, don't try to wear a tank top into the MDR for breakfast or lunch. That's a big NO-NO!

On some of Celebrity's ships if you don't wear a jacket, they have been handing them out so your comments are not exactly accurate...

Archived