3 y.o. twins in RCCL/Mariner Aquanauts

AgVball

This will be our girls' 4th cruise and they will be over 3.5 years old.

We'll be on RCCL Mariner (Galveston).

Previously, we've had the girls all day, then we would hire the ship babysitters for a few hours in their cabin while we went to late dining...and they would eventually go to sleep in their beds.

This year, being 3 or older, we are eligible for their "adventure kids". Last year, when we scoped it out, they said the kids are not allowed to cry at drop off. This year, our girls are finally getting to the point where they'll stay with Grandma and wave bye to us, and we were able to send them to a gym 2 times and they were ok.

I completely forgot about the "adventure kids" and when I talked to RCCL, she said the Early/Family dining was full (she told me how the "club" would come and get the kids). She said we could ask on the ship to move to early dining, but, my husband really likes late dining, plus, he likes taking his time getting ready after leaving a port.

I assume we can take our kids to the evening program ourselves even though they weren't in the dining room. I told my husband how they have story time, milk/cookies, change in to their PJs and often go to sleep (based on what the RCCL lady said). My husband is skeptical, and still thinks we should have a babysitter come get them at the "club" or us take them to the room for the babysitter so they can sleep in their rooms. I think the girls will do fine and maybe fall asleep there (especially if there are cookies to be hand). They are used to being at a montessori preschool 5 days/wk...they love making new friends and such.

What has been your experience with RCCL's club with primary age kiddos? I'm thinking we can feed them in the room or up on the deck...then take them to the club with all the other kids at 6.45/7. Any thoughts or anything I haven't really thought about? This cruise has really snuck up me ;)

<sorry - it ended up being longer than I originally thought>

The rep you spoke with sounds a little confused (not unusual). Since late seating might be a little late for your twins anyway (JMO, but sat at a table next to two toddlers at late seating on one cruise and the younger one was asleep in mom's lap half-way through each dinner and the older one often had a meltdown and dad had to take him out), you could very easily feed them from room service or the buffet and then take them to Adventure Ocean then have a nice relaxing dinner and maybe take in a show.

After 10 p.m., they have a "late night party" for an extra fee (something like $6 per hour) which is kind of low-key for the little ones (cookies and milk and a movie - many fall asleep), but this is totally optional.

Yeah, she didn't offer me bringing them down on my own @ 7pm....although I'm hoping I can do that. Will probably call them back.

she didn't say anything about it costing an extra fee to stay there after a certain point. Hmmmm. Sounds like I will probably call back and see what other story I get from them ;) Even 10pm is a little late for them (at home go to sleep @ 8.30-9)...we'll have to see.

My husband is not about to take ours to dinner with us - he wants to enjoy his bottle of wine (and food) in peace and quiet.

Thanks!

Sounds like your hubby is having a hard time adjusting his schedule to being a parent. Sounds like if you take them to the buffet to eat, it will be YOU doing it, as it eats into hubbies 'getting ready' time. You may find yourself adjusting as the days go by. EM

This will be our girls' 4th cruise and they will be over 3.5 years old.

We'll be on RCCL Mariner (Galveston).

Previously, we've had the girls all day, then we would hire the ship babysitters for a few hours in their cabin while we went to late dining...and they would eventually go to sleep in their beds.

This year, being 3 or older, we are eligible for their "adventure kids". Last year, when we scoped it out, they said the kids are not allowed to cry at drop off. This year, our girls are finally getting to the point where they'll stay with Grandma and wave bye to us, and we were able to send them to a gym 2 times and they were ok.

I completely forgot about the "adventure kids" and when I talked to RCCL, she said the Early/Family dining was full (she told me how the "club" would come and get the kids). She said we could ask on the ship to move to early dining, but, my husband really likes late dining, plus, he likes taking his time getting ready after leaving a port.

I assume we can take our kids to the evening program ourselves even though they weren't in the dining room. I told my husband how they have story time, milk/cookies, change in to their PJs and often go to sleep (based on what the RCCL lady said). My husband is skeptical, and still thinks we should have a babysitter come get them at the "club" or us take them to the room for the babysitter so they can sleep in their rooms. I think the girls will do fine and maybe fall asleep there (especially if there are cookies to be hand). They are used to being at a montessori preschool 5 days/wk...they love making new friends and such.

What has been your experience with RCCL's club with primary age kiddos? I'm thinking we can feed them in the room or up on the deck...then take them to the club with all the other kids at 6.45/7. Any thoughts or anything I haven't really thought about? This cruise has really snuck up me ;)

<sorry - it ended up being longer than I originally thought>

Adventure Ocean opens up at 7 pm for the evening. I prefer to take mine myself rather than utilize My Family Time dining. I haven't been on the Mariner, but I've never seen them serve food in the evenings at AO. Also, I've never seen kids sleeping, or even in their jammies, at AO either. If you want to be out late (past 9 or 10) and want the kids to sleep, I would hire the babysitter to watch them in the room. There's a charge for AO past 10 pm in any case.

Sounds like your hubby is having a hard time adjusting his schedule to being a parent. Sounds like if you take them to the buffet to eat, it will be YOU doing it, as it eats into hubbies 'getting ready' time. You may find yourself adjusting as the days go by. EM

I really don't get what the problem is here? I myself like late dining and enjoy taking time to get ready and not having to rush back to get ready. This in no way impacts my kids' desires. They would rather have room service and go to the kids club when it opens than have a long boring dinner with mom and dad. We do eat together the first night and the first formal night so that I can get photos. A well adjusted child should have no problem going off a schedule during a week long cruise and then returning to it when back home.

Sounds like your hubby is having a hard time adjusting his schedule to being a parent.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. ;) I would rather eat with my kids than with my husband. Better conversation. :p

But anyway, the kids club opens at 7pm. Just drop them off while your husband is preparing himself for dinner. You can feed the kids earlier at the buffet (and on 2 or 3 of the nights, they can go to the kids club dinner).

Archived