Is the dress code really THAT formal???

rljrdn

"During the day, dress is casual. Evenings are either casual, smart casual or formal. On casual nights, suggested attire is sports shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pants for women. On smart casual evenings, men should don jackets and tie, with women wearing dresses or pantsuits. On the one or two formal nights per cruise, men can choose from tuxedos or suits and ties, while woman usually wear cocktail dresses."

jackets and tie on smart casual nights??? full suits and tuxes required on formal night? I can get my husband to wear a jacket for one night but for more than that? Is this really the case and is it enforced? I'm scared we'll be stuck eating at the buffet most nights!

On casual nights and even "smart" casual, a collared shirt and long pants are fine for your hubby.

While there will be some suits and tuxes on "formal" nights, a tie and (if you can get him to do it) a jacket is fine. You won't be "turned away" from the dining room. Also, on formal nights, the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" EVERY night.... You do NOT need to do the buffet!

You probably will be dressed MORE than appropriately every night....the women tend to want to look better than the men do every night!!!

No, wear whatever you want. Be comfortable. Nothing is enforced. Lots if people even wear jeans and ball caps (at the table during the meal!.) I've seen shorts too. The new generation of cruises refuses to be bound by any accepted dress standards for upscale cruise line dining so Royal has given up and anything goes.

On the formal night on my last cruise I was in a suit, the guy next to me was in a tux, the guy across from me was in a button up shirt and tie, and the other gentleman at the table was wearing jeans and a polo shirt (all the women were in dresses). No one exploded and we all successfully ate our dinners

oh good - we cruised with princess last year and the boys in our group had to go change as they enforced the no jeans/shorts/tennis shoes policy in the dining room all week (even though my dh was wearing nice jeans with a polo shirt). I was afraid RC would be enforcing this detailed dress code with their descriptions.

It seems without a thread on formal night dress or MDR dress, I can see the concern of the posters, but as others have said, just show up dressed the way you feel comfortable in nice to nicer dining situations. I do suggest a little dressier on formal night if you wish, would be nice or a tux if you must or anything in between, but do not worry too much about it.

We went on our 1st RCL cruise earlier this year after 13 Princess. I must say I stood out & felt out of place in my normal princess formal wear...long $$$ gown, dh in tux when guys at next table were in cargo shorts! Going on RCL again but will tone it down to cocktail dress & suit! Just wear what you are comfortable in & enjoy yourselves!

oh good - we cruised with princess last year and the boys in our group had to go change as they enforced the no jeans/shorts/tennis shoes policy in the dining room all week (even though my dh was wearing nice jeans with a polo shirt). I was afraid RC would be enforcing this detailed dress code with their descriptions.

I wish Royal would enforce their posted dress code but they dont

We actually saw someone last year stuck in the 80's with his baggies and crop top muscle shirt in the MDR:eek:

I saw long dresses on formal night and I saw quite a few cottail dresses on casual night. For men...my husband would "burn up" if he had to wear a "jacket"...He wore a dress shirt and tie. He was OK the first night but the second night...maybe it was a bit hotter...He was fine during dinner but after dinner we went to take a picture and all the people in the courtyard...he was DYING...I really don't see how those men wear jackets.

Besides being the first off the boat should it sink I'm glad I'm a girl and I can dress cool.

No, wear whatever you want. Be comfortable. Nothing is enforced. Lots if people even wear jeans and ball caps (at the table during the meal!.) I've seen shorts too. The new generation of cruises refuses to be bound by any accepted dress standards for upscale cruise line dining so Royal has given up and anything goes.

That is one of the reason they have invented the higher priced, all-inclusive cruises, just so the "accepted" dress standards can be enforced with precision, and enjoyed by those who feel they are more valuable than others. Other than a hat being worn inside, there is nothing unacceptable about the attire described in the quoted post.

There is nothing "upscale" about RCI or their MDR dining. They are mass market. Let's not stretch the truth.

I consider the food in the MDR to be about equivalent to an average banquet hall, so wear what you'd wear to a wedding or other similar event. :D

Seriously, although I am not all that impressed by the food in the MDR, one reason people cruise is because they enjoy the atmosphere of the MDR and dressing up. I personally believe that if you're going to be eating in there, you should abide by the "requested" attire; it's like when I go out to a fancy restaurant with my family--I dress appropriately, even if I don't want to, because it's what you do. However, if someone wants to wear jeans on formal night, it doesn't impact my experience. You definitely don't need a superfancy gown, but if you want to wear one, go for it and feel great! You shouldn't feel bad about dressing up just because other people don't do it. Better to be overdressed than underdressed!

I generally wear a nice pair of capris or slacks . But on formal nights, i dress in a formal gown as if i were going to a $1000 a plate dinner. But i dont do it to impress others. I do it because i like to.

There is nothing "upscale" about RCI or their MDR dining. They are mass market. Let's not stretch the truth.

Well said and very true.

On casual and smart casual nights I've felt over dressed in jeans and a v-neck t-shirt even. Don't stress about it too much.

LOL I wear jeans and a Hawaiian type shirt with my sandals or athletic shoes. I too have seen some really casual dress in the MDR on non-formal nights. However jeans and shirt with collar is considered dressed for most nice restaurants here in the US southwest.

I don't like cowboy boot however or the humongous buckle. :eek:

Archived