Six Different Confirmation Numbers

Francine

My husband and I booked flights using Continental reward miles. Since we each used our own miles, we have separate confirmation numbers on Continental. However, we have three flights and none of them are on Continental planes.

So...here is where it starts to get confusing. Our flights from SAT to IAD (First Class) and from IAD to LHR (Business Class) are on United planes. So, now we each have United confirmation numbers, too. We will then have a twelve hour layover in LHR. We are not too upset about this because our third flight is on Virgin Atlantic in their Upper Class section, which will entitle us access to their Clubhouse. From what we have heard, it is one of the best. However, since we are now going on another airline, we each again have another confirmation number. The Continental confirmation number covers all three flights, although each airline also has their own confirmation number.

So now...When we check in at SAT, will our luggage be checked all the way to Capetown? Or, will we have to claim it in Heathrow and recheck it in at Virgin for the flight to Capetown?

We are so excited about this trip, but I just want to be sure we have all of our i's dotted and t's crossed.

Thanks for any help we can get.

Fran

The CO confirmation # will get your bags checked thru to your final destination. The only reason to get conf#s for the partner airline flights is so that you can select your seats.

We had to call AirCanada, & get their conf# to be able to chose our seats from Toronto to Rome. Still have to do that for our return flights which are 1st class in those pods. Our connecting flights to/from Canada are CO flights.

What I like about being able to book ff flights on CO now is that DH's miles were used outbound and mine homebound so our reservations are connected altho we've different conf#s to/from.

So now...When we check in at SAT, will our luggage be checked all the way to Capetown?
Yes, it should be.

Don't worry about all the booking records. This is just because (a) each airline needs to have its own booking record for its own operating purposes; and (b) you can probably see all of them only because the booking system you're looking through can retrieve everything that has your frequent flyer number in it.

But it can be useful to know all the references if an airport agent has trouble finding one of them.

If you've got 12 hours in the LHR Clubhouse, make sure you know what options are available to you so you can make the most of them. Also, try and find out what you need to book (eg spa appointments) so that you know whether you can do that before you arrive at the Clubhouse, and (if you can't) you know to make an appointment as soon as you get there.

This is common. I frequently fly to China on business and end up taking three airlines to get there - American, Cathay Pacific and Dragonair. Each has their own confirmation number (Cathay and Dragonair, even though they are really the same airline, give me their own confirm numbers), and then American has one for the whole reservation since I usually book via AA.com. I've never had any issues with ticketing, boarding passes, or baggage.

I agree that 12 hours is a LONG time to spent at Heathrow, even in a lounge. Whenever my layover at Heathrow is over 5 hours, I'll go in to the city...3-5 hours and I'll go to The Green Man pub, about two tube stops away, for a few beers and some plane watching (it's right under the flight path most days) before heading back to the lounge (in my case the BA Terraces Lounge, not the Virgin lounge)

Thanks, Everyone. I really appreciate your help.

We have done two transatlantic cruises this year, both either starting or ending in Southampton. We have spent quite a few days in London and the surrounding area, so no need to do that this time. After seeing all of the things that one can do in the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, I think we will have lots to occupy our time. Hmmmm...mani, pedi, haircut, massage, eat, drink, etc. :confused:

Thanks, again.

Fran

After seeing all of the things that one can do in the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, I think we will have lots to occupy our time. Hmmmm...mani, pedi, haircut, massage, eat, drink, etc.
I can relate to that. I spend two or three weeks a year in Sydney, so when there was an opportunity earlier this year to schedule a long connection between arriving from London and flying to Wellington (about 13 hours), I took it so that I could spend the time in the Qantas first class lounge in Sydney. It's one of a tiny number of airline lounges which could properly be regarded as a destination in its own right, and therefore worth making that much time for.

Archived