Mariners Society ~ ~ How Special Was This?

sail7seas

DH and I were on Nieuw Amsterdam for Thanksgiving cruise and the following one. Our second week, we sailed with Margaret Binnendyk who I'm sure many well remember as the,now retired, former Director of the Mariners Society.

We all were invited to Mariners Party and DH and I were presented our 700 Day Platinum Medallions.

For us, it was a happy and exciting event and thought it so special for Margaret to be present..... it was during her years with HAL we sailed so many days.

Lots of great cruises, lots of wonderful days aboard and many memories........

Looking forward to many more.

Congratulations, Sail! 700 days! Wow! I wonder if I will ever be able to reach that milestone.

Margaret is indeed a most wonderful, friendly person. Being able to meet and talk with her in 2008 on the Amsterdam was one of the treats of that particular cruise. She is missed, but she surely deserves her retirement years.

WOW Sail, I guess Congratulations are in order. I had not realized you had done quite that much cruising in the last three years. Since it was late August 2008 you talked about getting your Gold Medallion and were afraid with the 499 days you would not get it but they still awarded it to you.

Congratulations to you on your platinum achievement! You and your DH are truly expert cruisers! I'm sure having the opportunity to receive this achievement with Margaret Binnendyk present made it especially memorable for you.

While I'm hoping to achieve the same status sometime in the future, I remind myself that all HAL cruises are memorable, whether we're experiencing Day 1 or Day 700!

In addition to my congratulations, I offer you my thanks for your many, many insightful comments on CC. I've learned so much from you other regular HAL posters!

Thanks, everyone.

I want to answer the questions and will tomorrow but for now, whoever asked, our first ever HAL cruise was Noordam III, ten days, in 1992. :) I guess that really started a 'long voyage'. :D

I appreciate the nice comments.

Congrats on reaching that milestone, S7S. Not too many can say they have achieved that!

John

Are you now in the position to know how many Platinum there are? Would be interesting to know just how may have reached that level, and Gold also!

Sail

Congratulations! So glad that they are still awarding medallions and you received yours. Eventually they may add to the 4 star perks at the different medallion levels -- you certainly deserve more!

John

Are you now in the position to know how many Platinum there are? Would be interesting to know just how may have reached that level, and Gold also!

<snip>

Some time ago I asked a Hotel Manager how many living Mariners had Platinum Medallions and at that time he told me there were about 170. I'm sure some have passed this then and others have been awarded so that number is only a guesstimate.

I'd be fascinated to hear about your first HAL cruise ever, Sail. What ship? What itinerary? Your impressions? Anything about that very first one that kept you coming back to HAL?

Willing to share? :)

CONGRATULATIONS INDEED!!! I too would love to hear about the first cruise. Please share!

Archived