Menorah on board?

Sandoo

per Carnival's FAQ page:

Are the ships decorated for the holidays?

Hanukkah: 12/01/10-12/09/10; 12/20/11-12/28/11; 12/08/12-12/16/12

• Each ship will have a Menorah (candelabra) set-up and a cruise staff member will conduct the lighting ceremony each evening.
  • We do not have a Rabbi program; if a Rabbi is sailing and wishes to perform a service, it is on a "volunteer basis" only.

We're sailing on the Valor on the 24th. How do I find out whether they will have a Menorah on board to light for Hanukkah?

I believe that there is a Menorah lighting on the ships.

Yeah and what about Kwanzaa?

Hmmm, never heard of anything for Kwanzaa, but that does not mean that there isnt something.

A few years ago on another line, we brought our own with candles. We lit it every night in the dining room (we asked our waiter ahead of time). It was really a great experience as many other cruisers came over and joined us in our lighting each night.

A few years ago on another line, we brought our own with candles. We lit it every night in the dining room (we asked our waiter ahead of time). It was really a great experience as many other cruisers came over and joined us in our lighting each night.

I bet that was an awesome experience. I am of the Christian faith but I would have loved to have been your table neighbor. I enjoy the season-whether it is Christians celebrating Christmas or other faiths honoring their traditions and beliefs.

I don't even know why the remark was made, there are TONS of religions out there. Not sure what is wrong with Kwanzaa or any other religion.

Sometimes I think people live in a very small world and refuse to open their minds to others, kinda sad for them.

Carole

Kwanzaa is not a religion.

An African-American holiday based upon ancient customs of Africa. Dr. Maulana Korenga created Kwanzaa in 1966. It is based upon harvest or first fruit harvest traditions found through out Africa. Dr Korenga sought to develop a celebration that would reaffirm African heritage and culture, introduce and reinforce the seven principles (Nguzo Sara), create a purely African-American holiday, serve as a communal celebration that reaffirms and reinforces the bonds between African-Americans, and serve as an act of cultural self-determination as an African people.

Last yr. on the Elation they had a candle lighting each night with a large electric menorah. It was wonderful!!! My family is Jewish and Catholic and we respect all religions and traditions. It's sad to see a stupid remark made about the OP's simple question. The latkes were better than my grandmothers too.

When we have sailed during Hanukah, they had the candle lighting, latkes, applesauce, cut up fruit, wine/grape juice, and a short sing-along. It started with about 10 people partaking the first night. By the end, there were 50-80 people crowding around, of all religions. It was really nice. Looking forward to it again when we sail on the Liberty on the 24th!:)

I have not sailed during the Christmas season but don't they decorate, have a tree,Santa etc.???

IF they do that then it would be logical to also have an electric menorah. You don't need a rabbi to lead anything. It is something families do in their homes just like folks who celebrate Christmas put up a tree.

Last yr. on the Elation they had a candle lighting each night with a large electric menorah. It was wonderful!!! My family is Jewish and Catholic and we respect all religions and traditions. It's sad to see a stupid remark made about the OP's simple question.

Very well said!

2 years ago we had about 200 people in the lobby every night for candle lighting and singing songs afterwards. My family loves it!

I understand this is your religious practice but they do not do anything else for other religions. One of the reasons I will not sail during Christmas.

deborahjo - I think you are misinformed. They do have a christmas service, and a holiday show, that has songs from all the holidays. Santa ends the show, with all the kids that want to get a picture with him and a present. Even though we don't celebrate christmas my kids love it.

We brought a paper menorah (the ones at party stores used for table decorations). For the flames, we used the "sign here" sticky tabs.

SpiritcabinMenorah.jpg

When we have sailed during Hanukah, they had the candle lighting, latkes, applesauce, cut up fruit, wine/grape juice, and a short sing-along. It started with about 10 people partaking the first night. By the end, there were 50-80 people crowding around, of all religions. It was really nice. Looking forward to it again when we sail on the Liberty on the 24th!:)

It was a nice set up, but the latkes were so-so. The challah was not egg bread, but tasted more like pretzel bread. The wine was Manischewitz Concord Grape. Besides applesauce, there was also sour cream.

On the Spirit, it was held in the Atrium and the Menorah was on the upper level.

SpiritHanukah2010a.jpgSpiritHanukah2010.jpg

deborahjo - I think you are misinformed. They do have a christmas service, and a holiday show, that has songs from all the holidays. Santa ends the show, with all the kids that want to get a picture with him and a present. Even though we don't celebrate christmas my kids love it.

Just got off the Splendor yesterday. The Atrium was decorated with garlands on each level. There were Christmas trees in the Atrium and the showroom. On deck 5 by the gift shop there was a gingerbread town. They had a holiday show, and kids from the 6-8 age group singing a few songs including the token jewish song (the dreidel song) and then the 3-5 age group joined in to sing another song. Santa made his entrance at the end of the show. They also had "snow" falling in the Atrium at 4:45, 7 & 9 on the last sea day.

Archived