Western Caribbean Money Question

pliskin

I will be traveling to Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize; Roatan and Cozumel. My question is, will we be OK with the US Dollar in these ports or do we have to exchange money? Most places I've been have accepted dollars but I wasn't sure about these ports. Thanks!

I will be traveling to Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize; Roatan and Cozumel. My question is, will we be OK with the US Dollar in these ports or do we have to exchange money? Most places I've been have accepted dollars but I wasn't sure about these ports. Thanks!

We went to all of these places last Jan. We used US dollars everywhere we went.

You can also use Visa, Mastercard, etc. and even a debit card in most places. However if you're going to use a credit card it is a good idea to let your card company know you may buy something in these countries- internationally. Otherwise your purchase may be declined.

Also, make sure you have smaller bills, 5-10-20's, large bills might get you change in the local currency. You don't want that.

Yes, sound advice. We were sitting next to a couple on a beach in St. Thomas. The guy went into a hotel for two drinks and paid with a $100 bill. All his change was given in local currency! He then had to change it back to $ at the port and made a considerable loss.

Archived