30th wedding anniversary cruise Hawaii or b2b TA

Mrs. Wilburforce

We are trying to decide which Cunard cruise to book for our anniversary. We love the QM2 and would also like to re-visit some places in England.

However, we come from a very cold area and love to get away from the snow and ice during winter. The LA embarkation gives us the advantage of seeing our grandchildren before we leave with the added benefit of not having to stay in a hotel. Our son and family live in San Diego.

We love sea days so either trip will provide us with the best part of our journey. The only uncertainty is the QV. We also were thinking of booking ocean views as the Pacific crossing can be a bit chilly. That's the only draw back with the QM2. The limited number of ocean views are all located in the bow.

We have been tested and passed a 36 hour force 9, but we were midship. I found it exhilarating and flew around the ship taking video of the storm.

So, I am asking my fellow Cunarders what their choice would be. If anyone has done both itineraries, your input would be much appreciated! Those who have sailed both the QV and QM2, I would like your opinion on which ship you prefer :)

Thank you in advance :)

Mrs. Wilburforce,

I have not been on either ship so I can't help you that way. Although I love Britain too, I think a cruise to a warm, tropical paradise is really romantic and perfect for an anniversary as important as 30 years! You also get the benefit of seeing family on the way.

Whatever you choice is, congratulations on your anniversary.

Kathi

Do you really mean to say a B2B TA as opposed to two TAs a week or two apart? You really can't see much of England on the one turnaround day a B2B would give you. If you're instead thinking of spending a few days in England between TAs I like the way you think. For our 25th a few weeks back we coupled an eastbound TA with a week in england, followed up by a flight back to NYC. A nice enough mix, I think. :)

On QM2 we've never been in an OV but we've been in balconies above or below the first couple of lifeboats. No problem in Force 9 on Deck 5; on Deck 11 in October DW needed a couple of Bonine on one morning only when the ship was rocking pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to occupy a forward OV.

Mrs. Wilburforce,

I have not been on either ship so I can't help you that way. Although I love Britain too, I think a cruise to a warm, tropical paradise is really romantic and perfect for an anniversary as important as 30 years! You also get the benefit of seeing family on the way.

Whatever you choice is, congratulations on your anniversary.

Kathi

Thank you for your kind words. We can't believe it's been 30 years!

Do you really mean to say a B2B TA as opposed to two TAs a week or two apart? You really can't see much of England on the one turnaround day a B2B would give you. If you're instead thinking of spending a few days in England between TAs I like the way you think. For our 25th a few weeks back we coupled an eastbound TA with a week in england, followed up by a flight back to NYC. A nice enough mix, I think. :)

On QM2 we've never been in an OV but we've been in balconies above or below the first couple of lifeboats. No problem in Force 9 on Deck 5; on Deck 11 in October DW needed a couple of Bonine on one morning only when the ship was rocking pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to occupy a forward OV.

I used b2b incorrectly. I suppose the correct way to refer to this would be round trip?? Anyway, I found a crossing that leaves on our anniversary from NYC and another crossing that leaves Southampton 2 weeks later, which would give us six days in England.

Thanks for your input on the forward ov. I'm inclined to think I'd probably have more issues in the higher decks than the bow.

We were on deck 4 in a slightly aft sheltered balcony stateroom during the force 9. The only thing that really bothered us was the noise. The wind was causing all sorts of interesting bangs and clangs. I can't tell you how many times one of us said, "what the heck was that"!

I used b2b incorrectly. I suppose the correct way to refer to this would be round trip?? Anyway, I found a crossing that leaves on our anniversary from NYC and another crossing that leaves Southampton 2 weeks later, which would give us six days in England.
That would be better than riding across only to turn around and ride across the other way (which is really an extended cruise to nowhere, isn't it?).

We discovered that a crossing followed by a bit of time in England ended up meaning we had to pack for two different types of vacations - clothes for the cruise that we wouldn't wear while touring and vice versa. For a small(?) fee Cunard will store some of your bags between your crossings - I think it's on the order of $65 per bag for up to a month. We barely had room in the trunk ("boot") of our rental car for our cruise bags (e.g., formal wear) plus regular touring bags.

When would you be doing this trip? I think England (northern Europe in general) can be cold/gloomy (not to mention snowy!) in the Winter. We've been in Paris in February and this year we're opting for Hawaii instead...

I agree with Underwatr and I think you partially answered your own question. You said the advantage of the Hawaii trip is getting away from the cold, not having to be in a hotel and seeing your grandchildren. If your cruise is planned for the winter months you'll enjoy the warm weather in Hawaii and you'll still have the sea days that you enjoy.

The QV is a beautiful ship and the oceanview rooms are roomy and attractive. Hopefully, you can still do the round trip to England another time in warmer weather. Of course, I will always recommend coming to my home state of Hawaii as we love to have people experience our lovely islands.

Aloha from Honolulu - -

That would be better than riding across only to turn around and ride across the other way (which is really an extended cruise to nowhere,

When would you be doing this trip? I think England (northern Europe in general) can be cold/gloomy (not to mention snowy!) in the Winter. We've been in Paris in February and this year we're opting for Hawaii instead...

Indeed! We looked at the b2b, which DH roundly rejected because we wouldn't have the opportunity to tour. And it's such a long way to travel without seeing as much as possible.

Thank you for the info about storing luggage. After reading your post it did occur to me that the packing list would be a nightmare. We love train travel and probably would have moved about the country by train.

I just saw before this post that you are taking the Hawaii trip. Excellent! And on Valentines Day. I hope you have a great voyage.

I'm leaning toward this choice as well. Less complicated and we can see our family. If we did the UK trip, it would be in May/June. The Hawaii trip would be in the fall or we might have to be a bit patient and wait until the next Feb. Cruise.

We do prefer warmer climates. I think if we were flying, we would spend a couple weeks in the U.K. It would make my 4th land based trip there. I really want to sail in at least once.

Thank you for your response. You were very helpful. I hope to hear about your upcoming cruise when you return :)

Mrs.W...

Mom & I did a QM2 crossing and Mom & Dad did Hawaii on QV just this past March. Mom actually liked the QV more, said it was a wonderful ship and had no problems even though it was stormy when they left Long Beach.

The thing they didn't enjoy was that the weather was cool (ok so being from Chicago cool is a relative term...) anyways they didn't have the best weather for sitting out on the balcony when the ship was moving. They did enjoy Hawaii, took their time and relaxed and just used public transportation to explore the ports.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

I agree with Underwatr and I think you partially answered your own question. You said the advantage of the Hawaii trip is getting away from the cold, not having to be in a hotel and seeing your grandchildren. If your cruise is planned for the winter months you'll enjoy the warm weather in Hawaii and you'll still have the sea days that you enjoy.

The QV is a beautiful ship and the oceanview rooms are roomy and attractive. Hopefully, you can still do the round trip to England another time in warmer weather. Of course, I will always recommend coming to my home state of Hawaii as we love to have people experience our lovely islands.

Aloha from Honolulu - -

I think the only thing holding me back a little was the QM2 as DH and I love the ship. I do like the fact that QV has OV staterooms very low in the ship. DH and I love being as close to the water as possible even if it means an obstructed view due to waves.

You're very lucky to live in Hawaii. My father lived there after the war for a brief period. He always talked about going back. He never did, not even for a visit, so I want to see the islands even if for a brief visit.

Thank you for responding :)

Mrs.W...

Mom & I did a QM2 crossing and Mom & Dad did Hawaii on QV just this past March. Mom actually liked the QV more, said it was a wonderful ship and had no problems even though it was stormy when they left Long Beach.

The thing they didn't enjoy was that the weather was cool (ok so being from Chicago cool is a relative term...) anyways they didn't have the best weather for sitting out on the balcony when the ship was moving. They did enjoy Hawaii, took their time and relaxed and just used public transportation to explore the ports.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

We live about an hour from Chicago in the Lake Michigan snowbelt region of Indiana so I have a warped idea of warm vs cold! I'm just hoping that my sister and I don't start complaining about the humidity in Panama considering the summer we just went through :o

I am inclined to think an OV should be sufficient as the Pacific is not anything like cruising the southern Atlantic or the Caribbean.

It sounds like you and your folks had a great time on both cruises.

It may be a while before I decide, but I'll let you know! Thanks so much.

I am inclined to think an OV should be sufficient as the Pacific is not anything like cruising the southern Atlantic or the Caribbean.

The OV's on QM2 directly in front of the sheltered balconies are really good value as they encompass the deck space taken up by the balcony within your stateroom so you end up with a larger stateroom than usual. We've benefited from this extra space before on a TA when you wouldn't always want to be out on a balcony

MrsH

Archived