Can you bring roller coolers on HAL?

BengelaCruisers

Our "world famous rollin' cooler" is coming with us. A rolling cooler is not that large, in fact ours looks like a carry-on and has traveled alot, including being checked baggage.

If it is too large to fit though a scanner I would check it.

For us we're packing it with diet Mt Dew (which HAL usually doesn't have) Diet Pepsi and Perrier--which I drink like water.

You can use it as an extra table on your veranda.

I have seen people roll those coolers onto ships. Most people pack what they want in it. Then once they get to their cabin they have the stewards fill and refill them with ice.

That's a great idea to use the cooler as a table on the verandah / balcony -- especially if you have a small balcony with a tiny table.

Our "world famous rollin' cooler" is coming with us. A rolling cooler is not that large, in fact ours looks like a carry-on and has traveled alot, including being checked baggage.

For us we're packing it with diet Mt Dew (which HAL usually doesn't have) Diet Pepsi and Perrier--which I drink like water.

Thanks.

I don't drink 12 cans of soda in a year so it wouldn't occur to me to bring loads of it. I couldn't imagine why one would want to lug a big cooler.

Do you ask your cabin steward to keep filling it with ice?

Do you know the dimensions of your cooler? Ours is rather large...even has speakers to connect your ipod to...is there any other way to spend your time on your balcony LOL?!?!??

I've never stayed in a room that has a fridge...here is a description of our room amenities...just thought a cooler would be a little more classier if i want to ice my drinks...getting tired of asking the steward to put ice in the trashcan!

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub, shower, sitting area, private verandah, floor-to-ceiling windows.

Approximately 213–379 sq. ft. including verandah

Stateroom amenities include:

•Our signature Mariner's Dream™ bed featuring finely woven cotton linens

•Luxurious bathrobes for use during your voyage

•100% Egyptian cotton towels

•Premium massage showerhead

•5x magnifying lighted make-up mirror and salon-quality hair dryer

•Fragrant soaps, lotions, shampoo and other bath amenities from Elemis Aromapure

•Complimentary fresh fruit on request

•Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-stateroom beverages

•Flat-panel TV and DVD player

•Ice service, shoeshine service and nightly turndown service

I've never stayed in a room that has a fridge...here is a description of our room amenities...just thought a cooler would be a little more classier if i want to ice my drinks...getting tired of asking the steward to put ice in the trashcan!

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub, shower, sitting area, private verandah, floor-to-ceiling windows.

Approximately 213–379 sq. ft. including verandah

Stateroom amenities include:

•Our signature Mariner's Dream™ bed featuring finely woven cotton linens

•Luxurious bathrobes for use during your voyage

•100% Egyptian cotton towels

•Premium massage showerhead

•5x magnifying lighted make-up mirror and salon-quality hair dryer

•Fragrant soaps, lotions, shampoo and other bath amenities from Elemis Aromapure

•Complimentary fresh fruit on request

•Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-stateroom beverages

•Flat-panel TV and DVD player

•Ice service, shoeshine service and nightly turndown service

We had a refrigerator on our last HAL cruise -- the Prinsendam.

Gary--

do they limit u to only 1 bottle of wine per person on HAL? How are you getting a case of wine onboard? Do you give your cooler to the porters to take (and lock it???) or do you wheel it on with a 'few' bottles and the rest are conveniently dispersed in your checked bags?

Know the messsage wasn't for me but HAL allows unlimited wine to be brought onboard. We always have it in our checked baggage as we fly.

Our cooler isn't that large. You will have to check it, and make sure that it is not loaded to the top so it is not too heavy to handle. Maybe you can use it as an extra piece of luggage and pack some clothes in it.

PS Be warned. Now you are going to get scolded for having speakers on the balcony and annoying your neighbors. We have little ipod speakers that we use on our balcony and out them by the door. I have been in the cabin next door and we really couldn't hear them while we were visiting.

well , I must admit I have never heard anyone playing music on their balcony.

I hope it's music I like ( lol ) , but seriously , it does seem to detract from the idea of a quiet day at sea . And there are no magic speakers that can be only heard by you , unless they are headphones , which I would use to be considerate of my neighbors .

We have a rolling cooler bag that we used for wine when we did Hawaii on the Zaandam...wine for 15 days for four of us..we also took it on our Thanksgiving cruise on the NA. Works great and we just put it in the closet as we did not have a need for extra ice. DH just rolled it through as he would a carry-on bag.

well , I must admit I have never heard anyone playing music on their balcony.

I hope it's music I like ( lol ) , but seriously , it does seem to detract from the idea of a quiet day at sea . And there are no magic speakers that can be only heard by you , unless they are headphones , which I would use to be considerate of my neighbors .

I agree about music and speakers on a veranda. That is so inconsiderate of neighbors who want to hear the ocean, quiet, and don't want to suffer whatever music their neighbor chooses. Music should be kept inside your cabin and nto subject others to suffering it. IMO

I treasure the quiet, the sound of the sea, the feeling of 'distance from it all' when on our veranda on a sea day particularly.

I have been on 7 cruises and I always used to take a rolling cooler bag, but then I read somewhere that they are not allowed now to roll on with you anyway. I assume they go as checked without question, maybe maybe not. Therefore bought a folding Igloo cooler bag which is perfect it is like a large purse that folds flat with a zipper and when full of ice sits nicely on the floor and I always tip generously and my room stewards keep it packed each day with fresh ice. I bring that in my checked suitcase. That way I can make my own cocktails how and when I want or have an iced soda on my balcony. Like the title says I do believe I read somehwere that rolling or ice chests are NOT allowed...rather it is being enforced I do not know. This year I just took my champagne and wine; four bottles in a small back pack and put them thru the x-ray machine no problem.

No limit to the amount of wine one can bring onboard. I will be bringing a case onboard myself. Not going to check it in.

Gary

Gary--

do they limit u to only 1 bottle of wine per person on HAL? How are you getting a case of wine onboard? Do you give your cooler to the porters to take (and lock it???) or do you wheel it on with a 'few' bottles and the rest are conveniently dispersed in your checked bags?

PS Be warned. Now you are going to get scolded for having speakers on the balcony and annoying your neighbors. We have little ipod speakers that we use on our balcony and out them by the door. I have been in the cabin next door and we really couldn't hear them while we were visiting.

I think it's only considerate to not have music blaring and bothering your neighbours. I like to hear the sound of the ocean myself. One time on a cruise I was in Canaletto enjoying dinner with friends and some people brought their music to "enjoy" with their meal. It was quite loud and annoying. Is that something you would enjoy?

yikes! I didn't realize that the balconies were so close and unprivate....I won't mention that I was hoping to bring a blender too :) I guess that's a nuisance too, unless, of course, I offer frozen drinks to my balcony-mates LOL!

Look at a photo of the ship. The verandas have a thin divider between each and all noise and conversation can be heard by your neighbors. We are always careful to speak softly to not disturb anyone. If you were to play music, we'd be forced to listen to your choices whether we want to or not. I would call that inconsiderate.

If you must have a blender. :confused:, please use it inside your cabin so as to not possibly wake your neighbor who looked forward to an afternoon nap on the veranda. :)

What if the neighbor snores? Then is it ok to crank up your music so that you can hear over your blender when you prop open your door with your huge roll on cooler because you can only smoke your cigars out on the balcony?

Honestly I understand when many people complain about what their neighbors do that is annoying on balconies around them. Be it loud talking and laughing, music, smoking , leaving the outside light on all night,talking on the cell phone (because if you are calling from Europe you have to yell really loud to be heard in the US). We live in a very rural area with no neighbors, no noise, no outside lights, no traffic. So when we cruise moving to a condo like environment with people around us doing what people do is a bit of a shock to our sensibilities.

BUT we know that going in. I don't expect our neighbors to always tip toe out to the balcony being very quiet and never disturbing our peace. We like cruising and if giving up some solitude is part of cruising we accept that.

If someone wants solitude and quiet try camping in the backcountry. Then you only have to worry about bear proofing your dinners.

We orginally thought about a cooler because we saw someone else check in with one. It makes packing alot easier. You can use it as a cooler on the drive down, use it for extra storage on the cruise (like snorkel gear), use it as a cooler or extra suitcase on the way back.

Archived