Getting lobster tail without dressing up

Snostar

Its a sanitary thing - woman shave their armpits - men do not. Don't know about where you live but here in Jersey - if your a man and don't have sleeves your not getting in.

And if we had been going into the WJ I could see that, however in the WJ this was not an issue either as many men had on tank tops while serving themselves food

Is that the standard for Maryland restaurants?

Not sure what you mean, but you can go into an Applebees or similar restaurant in a tank top. It's not like a buffet where you might reach over some other food and maybe that would be an issue.

And if we had been going into the WJ I could see that, however in the WJ this was not an issue either as many men had on tank tops while serving themselves food

Not sure what you mean, but you can go into an Applebees or similar restaurant in a tank top. It's not like a buffet where you might reach over some other food and maybe that would be an issue.

I'm not aware of any decent restaurant where muscle shirts are appropriate. The MDR isn't exactly an outdoor barbeque.

Don't know but I do know in the MDR men must wear sleeves for any meal - you are right tho - yucky to see those hairy arm pits in the buffet as well!:eek:

LOL I love this. Maybe that's exactly what the ships should do.

Personally I still love to dress up on the ships. I love to see others dress as well. It doesn't have to be a $1000.00 gown to still look elegant.

I also think the ships should "require" long pants, and a nice looking shirt at a minimum. It doesn't have to be a white shirt, just a nice shirt.

Positively No Shorts, of any kind. No T-shirts,no sleeveless shirts. Heck, my husband was turned away in Las Vegas, at a restaurant for breakfast, because he had a sleeveless shirt on. The ships just keep letting the dress code slide more and more, and it's only going to get worse. Ok, I'm from an older generation, but I still like pretty.

Yes I agree I love to see people dressed up and in party mode!!!!! I was born in the 1960's I guess I am old fashioned too. I still like pretty as well!!!:)

Sure people dont have to dress up.....wear pajamas if you want!!! Wear what you want for any reason you choose.....We each have our lives to live. While youre at it teach your children its ok not to care about how you look,,,,whatever.:D

But please dont deny that clothes do make a difference and there are folk who appreciate dressing up and attending a nice event! Have you seen the movie The Devil Wears Prada ? Great movie! LOL Just as a woman in a fine dress is noticed at these "suggested formal " nights, so is the woman who is dressed like she doesnt care. Men too!:)

Its a sanitary thing - woman shave their armpits - men do not. Don't know about where you live but here in Jersey - if your a man and don't have sleeves your not getting in.

wow good to know - were you in a suite?

No all women shave their armpits. And if a man shaves his would sleevelss shirts then be OK?

How is it that folk are so very quick to be critical about the Lobster.. ie too small, overcooked dry, its not cold water lobster, not what it use to be blah blah blah......but its ok to show up dressed any way you want during this "suggested" formal event!!!

I'd love to see RCI "suggest" lobster ................Meaning hey if we "feel" like it we'll serve Lobster on this night. Heck Rci serves lobster all the time.. just tired doing it tonight........it's our ship!!!!

If they "suggested " lobster just like the dress code, we'd all understand that it isn't required so we might not get lobster. By the way, I don't eat anything that crawls on the bottom of the sea.

No all women shave their armpits. And if a man shaves his would sleevelss shirts then be OK?

LOL - stretching things a bit - yup not all women shave their arm pits - I guess its a personal preference - personally I say YUCK - however you/he/she can do whatever you like. Still unsanitary whether its male or female. Here in Jersey its No shirt, no shoes - NO SERVICE. come on, how hard can it be to wear a T shirt in the dining room;)

We recently took a Med cruise...we sat with European cruisers in the MDR and they commented on how poorly dressed American pax seemed to be.

They didn't use the word "slobs" but were amazed at what Americans thought "formal" dress was.

We told them if they thought the dress was bad on our Med cruise they should take a cruise to the Caribbean and get a real idea of how Americans dress.:p

not all Americans. some of us pack their tux for each and every cruise.

I like this. I wear a suit most every day to work...the idea of wearing a suit on vacation drives me bonkers, even if it's only for a few hours.

Just got off AOS and it was the first cruise where DH did not take a jacket, he did have a tie.....he wore it but didn't need too. We were shocked at the level of dress in the MDR all nites, including Formal Night. Anything seems to go on RCI.....jeans, shorts, tee shirts, we saw it all and no one commented or stopped anyone.

I am not a seasoned cruiser, but I am amazed at the lack of formality everywhere anymore. I don't understand why getting dressed up is such a big deal. Personally I enjoy it and I know my wife does. I personally take pride in how I present myself to others and dress and grooming absolutely has a lot to do with that.

My wife and I very frequently take in broadway shows and symphony events in our area and I amazed at how many people will pay $100+ for a seat and not even bother to put on a tie!

I know there are widely varying views on this anymore. I am not saying by any means that every passenger should be in a tuxedo, but just wear your best.. (shirt & tie, suit, etc) It shows respect to yourself and those around you. I know I am in the minority on this....especially in my age group (I am 29) but count me as someone who likes formal when the occasion calls for it.

I am not a seasoned cruiser, but I am amazed at the lack of formality everywhere anymore. I don't understand why getting dressed up is such a big deal. Personally I enjoy it and I know my wife does. I personally take pride in how I present myself to others and dress and grooming absolutely has a lot to do with that.

I dress up 250 days of the year, I do not want to dress up on vacation. Period. My question was not about what I can get away with wearing....simple, I won't attend if I can't conform to the requirements. Interesting (as I am the OP) how this thread got hijacked, I even interjected 2 pertinent questions to relpies which no one bothered to answer.....perhaps consumed in opinions. I appreciated those posters that stuck to the simple facts I was requesting.

I dress up 250 days of the year, I do not want to dress up on vacation. Period. My question was not about what I can get away with wearing....simple, I won't attend if I can't conform to the requirements. Interesting (as I am the OP) how this thread got hijacked, I even interjected 2 pertinent questions to relpies which no one bothered to answer.....perhaps consumed in opinions. I appreciated those posters that stuck to the simple facts I was requesting.

I knew when I read the title of this thread that it would go down this road.

Passenger Dress code is always a hot topic on Cruise Critic.

Personally, I enjoy dressing up on Formal Nights... The wife and I get dressed appropriately, I wear a suit (don't own a tux, don't want to rent), wife wears a nice dress... we make the kids dress up... Take the family photo.

It's nice.

Frankly, I don't care what other people are wearing. Last cruise aboard the Oasis, I didn't even bother to watch what others were doing. I remember seeing some people dressed up to the nines and thinking "Wow!", but I guess I forgot to look for underdressed folks.

I understand the whole "It's MY vacation and I'm gonna do MY thing!" mentality, I don't completely agree... but the cruise experience has changed, what can you do?

I am a pharmacist, and I understand that people will be people.

You have nasty and nice people. You have considerate and inconsiderate people... sometimes people are a mixture of the two.

YOu have people that wake up in the morning, put on some clothes, look in the mirror, and say to themselves "I'm going out today looking like THIS". (too bad nobody else understands why)

I enjoy that part of cruising... the dressing up. We look GOOD!

IF someone else doesn't, I guess I've forgotten to pay them any attention (not in a bad way, it just doesn't bother me)

Happy Cruising!

Sorry for going off topic.... I dress up nearly daily as well. when you bring up a topic like this you can expect to see everyone's opinion. Some people have very strong feelings on this and you have opened a door for them to display their opinion.

Whether intentional or not you are inviting the opinions of others on here. If you just wanted the letter of RCI law, call RCI.

Order room service.

Last cruise hubby and I had had a long day but still wanted the seafood dinner, so we ordered room service and were able to order everything that was being served in the MDR.

No matter what day, just ask what is being served in the MDR when you call, and you can relax in your room wearing whatever you want!

Order room service.

Last cruise hubby and I had had a long day but still wanted the seafood dinner, so we ordered room service and were able to order everything that was being served in the MDR.

No matter what day, just ask what is being served in the MDR when you call, and you can relax in your room wearing whatever you want!

What type of cabin were you in?

Order room service.

My understanding is you only get the full menu if you're in a suite.

Order room service.

Princess has also begun this program of allowing in cabin ordering off the menu, at least on the Emerald. Somehow I can't see eating in my cramped room but I checked just to see if I could have.

I wonder haw they handle orders of 4 lobster tails on 1 plate on formal nights?

we were in a balcony one time and a Jr Suite the next. When we called and asked about what was being served in the MDR, they told us and we would make our decision and then order. A few times we had to "think" about our choices and then called back. We never had any problems.

Archived