Getting lobster tail without dressing up

Snostar

I will be going on a 10day on Explorer in February. From what I am reading lobster tail is only offered on a formal night. My sons and I are just not into getting all dress up while on vacation. Can we get the tails to go? Or it is offered else where on the ship that night? Thanks in advancee!

There is no "dress code" on RCI..you could probably wear your pajamas and be able to eat in the MDR. Pax can wear whatever they wear to eat at their local diner.

"Formal" these days sometimes means that many pax actually bathe and put on deoderant before meals.:rolleyes:

There is no "dress code" on RCI..you could probably wear your pajamas and be able to eat in the MDR. Pax can wear whatever they wear to eat at their local diner.

"Formal" these days sometimes means that many pax actually bathe and put on deoderant before meals.:rolleyes:

I think you are right about them dropping their dress code. Yesterday I was looking at the daily cruise paper someone scanned in from their recent cruise.

It used to say... Tonight dress code, Formal Now it says Tonight dress code SUGGESTION Formal.

Seems a lot of cruiselines are going that way.

We took an Azamara cruise last year. They said SMART CASUAL every night, no formal.

I think you are right about them dropping their dress code. Yesterday I was looking at the daily cruise paper someone scanned in from their recent cruise.

It used to say... Tonight dress code, Formal Now it says Tonight dress code SUGGESTION Formal.

Seems a lot of cruiselines are going that way.

We took an Azamara cruise last year. They said SMART CASUAL every night, no formal.

I like this. I wear a suit most every day to work...the idea of wearing a suit on vacation drives me bonkers, even if it's only for a few hours.

We recently took a Med cruise...we sat with European cruisers in the MDR and they commented on how poorly dressed American pax seemed to be.

They didn't use the word "slobs" but were amazed at what Americans thought "formal" dress was.

We told them if they thought the dress was bad on our Med cruise they should take a cruise to the Caribbean and get a real idea of how Americans dress.:p

We recently took a Med cruise...we sat with European cruisers in the MDR and they commented on how poorly dressed American pax seemed to be.

They didn't use the word "slobs" but were amazed at what Americans thought "formal" dress was.

We told them if they thought the dress was bad on our Med cruise they should take a cruise to the Caribbean and get a real idea of how Americans dress.:p

We probably would ask for a different table, or tablemates.

I'm not one that cares what anyone other than the people I'm on the cruise with wear. There's medium ground where you can dress in something other than jeans and a t-shirt to attend formal night and not feel like you're at the office. Many of the ladies, our group included, carry a little black dress and you'll see many men in a shirt and tie, some with a golf shirt.

My first thought is that I wouldn't get too excited about the lobster tails if I were you, they are usually overcooked and rubbery. My second thought was... do they still even serve lobster tails? I thought the dish was now called a seafood platter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Formal is just not formal any longer. You still see women in long dresses, some of them even evening long dresses. Many wear cocktail dresses, I do, takes up less space in the suitcase. Some just wear black pants with tops that have a few sparklies. Men wear anything from tuxedos (in the minority) lots of suits and sportcoats, lots of dress shirts with ties looking like used car salesmen, some in just casual short sleeved shirts.

As far as I can tell, no one is turned away at the door. Maybe the people in shorts, I dunno. I don't try to figure out percentages of what other people are wearing (I have read this from time to time on CC and it astounds me that people pay that much attention to other peoples clothing). If you pass me by in shorts and a T on "formal" night in the dining room I would notice, but it has no bearing on my evening. I'm busy with my family/friends and my attention is there.

Ten years ago the argument was tux vs. suit, jeans were the horror of the CC boards. Since the interpretation of formal has deteriorated so much over the last decade, I wonder what the typical dress would be if there were no formal or smart casual suggestions? NCL, anyone ;)

I like this. I wear a suit most every day to work...the idea of wearing a suit on vacation drives me bonkers, even if it's only for a few hours.

That and with luggage fees, it usually means one more bag to carry and pay for.

I will be going on a 10day on Explorer in February. From what I am reading lobster tail is only offered on a formal night. My sons and I are just not into getting all dress up while on vacation. Can we get the tails to go? Or it is offered else where on the ship that night? Thanks in advancee!

I heard if you show up in a lobster suit you get two tails as long as you include a black tie.:rolleyes:

It is called a seafood or fishermans platter - but there is a tail on it along with very very small shrimp. I have to agree, the tails haven't been that great

I'm an absolute seafood lover and kind of a seafood snob, but most of my work travels this year have taken me to inland places...so combined with my living in the most central state in the continental US, I haven't had truly great seafood in a while. I knew it was bad when I caught myself watching a Red Lobster commercial the other day and saying "mmm, that looks good". I wanted to seppuku myself in shame right after I said it...

How is it that folk are so very quick to be critical about the Lobster.. ie too small, overcooked dry, its not cold water lobster, not what it use to be blah blah blah......but its ok to show up dressed any way you want during this "suggested" formal event!!!

I'd love to see RCI "suggest" lobster ................Meaning hey if we "feel" like it we'll serve Lobster on this night. Heck Rci serves lobster all the time.. just tired doing it tonight........it's our ship!!!!

I'm an absolute seafood lover and kind of a seafood snob, but most of my work travels this year have taken me to inland places...so combined with my living in the most central state in the continental US, I haven't had truly great seafood in a while. I knew it was bad when I caught myself watching a Red Lobster commercial the other day and saying "mmm, that looks good". I wanted to seppuku myself in shame right after I said it...

I too am a seafood snob. I've had good and not as good on cruises. While it all depends on who's cooking your lobster, I find the cold water lobster more flavorful and less likely to suffer the effects of over cooking. If it's good, I have no problem asking for a second. The last cruise with Royal was the first in which the waiter had to actually wait to see if there were extras available before he could get seconds.

Just off the 10 night Explorer yesterday, and the Fisherman's plate with lobster tails were indeed served on the second formal night. We like to dress for dinner, considering the atmosphere, and hard work of the waitstaff to provide an excellent dining experience.

That being said, you and your family can go as long as you have shirts, shoes, and some sort of covering on over your underpants. Wardrobe ran the gamut, and we did not see anyone being turned away.

In our opinion, it's not too difficult to at least put on a golf shirt and a pair of dockers, but that's just that--our opinion.

I actually found the lobster tails to be tasty and tender. I had two. :)

Just off the 10 night Explorer yesterday, and the Fisherman's plate with lobster tails were indeed served on the second formal night. We like to dress for dinner, considering the atmosphere, and hard work of the waitstaff to provide an excellent dining experience.

That being said, you and your family can go as long as you have shirts, shoes, and some sort of covering on over your underpants. Wardrobe ran the gamut, and we did not see anyone being turned away.

In our opinion, it's not too difficult to at least put on a golf shirt and a pair of dockers, but that's just that--our opinion.

I actually found the lobster tails to be tasty and tender. I had two. :)

Glad to hear the lobster was tasty on the Explorer - we will be on for NYE - while I am no way a seafood snob - I am happy for what I get and if its not good you can always get something else - no one will starve right?:)

FWIW, I wonder if it's really possible to prepare lobster for 1000's of guests and have it turn out great? Seems to me it's a nice option, but, the mass market aspects of the cruise take their toll on quality. I've never been on a cruise with just 10's or people, but, I wonder if they do a better job?

FWIW, I wonder if it's really possible to prepare lobster for 1000's of guests and have it turn out great? Seems to me it's a nice option, but, the mass market aspects of the cruise take their toll on quality. I've never been on a cruise with just 10's or people, but, I wonder if they do a better job?

Well, the guests were ordering lobster like it was going out of style, and the waitstaff were hustling to keep up, what with zooming back and forth to the kitchen, and then serving and shell removal for each one.

I can't say enough about the wait staff--they work very hard. If there is a problem, we will bring it to the attention of the Maitre 'd, and this usually has good results. We make an effort to note good servers by name on the surveys, and we are extremely judicious with any criticism of them. These surveys mean so much to the servers' livelihood.

I have said that many times on here! A lot of folks seem to try to compare 5 star restaurant food where you might pick out your own lobster and feeding 200 people on a busy night with a cruise ship feeding 2,000+ people a night. You can't make a comparison like that! I still think that RCI does a very good job to provide a good dining experiance with decent food for the amount of people they are feeding for each meal each day. I have yet to see paramedics waiting on the pier at the end of the cruise for people that have suffered from malnutrition. As I walk around the Windjammer at breakfast and lunch the place is packed out and plates are full and they are empty when they leave the table. I think the only cruisers that are happy with the food that is served is non-cruise critic cruisers!

Archived