Getting lobster tail without dressing up

Snostar

We recently took a Med cruise...we sat with European cruisers in the MDR and they commented on how poorly dressed American pax seemed to be.

They didn't use the word "slobs" but were amazed at what Americans thought "formal" dress was.

We told them if they thought the dress was bad on our Med cruise they should take a cruise to the Caribbean and get a real idea of how Americans dress.:p

We probably would ask for a different table, or tablemates.

Why is it that we, as Americans, think that our image is being downgraded as a group of lazy, sloppy people who just don't care? For formal night, suggestions or madatory, should we not at least try to look and dress good?

Maybe for everyone that argues anything goes is ok should really rethink what the think, and maybe start realizing that sometimes, you just need to dress nice, and leave the jeans home.

Why is it that we, as Americans, think that our image is being downgraded as a group of lazy, sloppy people who just don't care? For formal night, suggestions or madatory, should we not at least try to look and dress good?

Maybe for everyone that argues anything goes is ok should really rethink what the think, and maybe start realizing that sometimes, you just need to dress nice, and leave the jeans home.

We are a selfish lot.

I agree. You should look good. It presents a better appearance in the dining room for the rest of us. Just don't try to enforce your morals on others who want don't want to abide by your standards.

I have my standards that may not be up to yours but they satisfy my needs for comfort as well as gaining me entrance to most dining rooms on most cruise lines. Why is it necessary to force others to meet your standards?

we were in a balcony one time and a Jr Suite the next. When we called and asked about what was being served in the MDR, they told us and we would make our decision and then order. A few times we had to "think" about our choices and then called back. We never had any problems.

Sort of takes away from this being a suite perk don't you think:confused:

I have my standards that may not be up to yours but they satisfy my needs for comfort as well as gaining me entrance to most dining rooms on most cruise lines. Why is it necessary to force others to meet your standards?

Lets be honest, that means you're selfish. Saying 'they satisfy my needs' says I'm selfish but that's OK as long as you recognize it.

We recently took a Med cruise...we sat with European cruisers in the MDR and they commented on how poorly dressed American pax seemed to be.

They didn't use the word "slobs" but were amazed at what Americans thought "formal" dress was.

We told them if they thought the dress was bad on our Med cruise they should take a cruise to the Caribbean and get a real idea of how Americans dress.:p

For sure!!! I'm appalled at how Americans dress--slobs for sure. On the past Med. cruises I've been on you could always tell us apart. And, the island cruises are terrible. Europeans don't have large wardrobes but they know how do dress stylishly and probably spend less money on it than Americans.

For sure!!! I'm appalled at how Americans dress--slobs for sure. On the past Med. cruises I've been on you could always tell us apart. And, the island cruises are terrible. Europeans don't have large wardrobes but they know how do dress stylishly and probably spend less money on it than Americans.

Geez, over-generalize much? I have seen plenty of unstylish, grungee, Europeans and many stylish, well groomed Americans...there are all kinds of people in both places. How can you make such a sweeping statement like this??:confused:

Considering that without a suite you are eating this food balancing it on your lap on the bed or hunched over a coffee table, I still think the suites have the advantage.

For sure...GS doesn't have a table - so its either balcony or coffee table, still much nicer than the balancing act - however, while Im glad the poster received their request, why list it as a suite benefit to order from the MDR menu if anyone can do it?

Geez, over-generalize much? I have seen plenty of unstylish, grungee, Europeans and many stylish, well groomed Americans...there are all kinds of people in both places. How can you make such a sweeping statement like this??:confused:

Speaking as an American who moved to Europe, I can say with some certainty that the generalization does hold water. When I got here I was startled at how well people dress, in general. Far less jeans and loose fitting clothing than you see in the states; fewer gawdy colors, hair styles, jewelry.

As you say, both places have their exceptions but I would say from my own experience that the well-dressed are the exception in the US, and vice versa in Europe.

That said, when Irish men dress like slobs, they really go all out. It's kind of funny.

Sorry for going off topic.... I dress up nearly daily as well. when you bring up a topic like this you can expect to see everyone's opinion. Some people have very strong feelings on this and you have opened a door for them to display their opinion.

Whether intentional or not you are inviting the opinions of others on here. If you just wanted the letter of RCI law, call RCI.

Did I complain about excessive options? No, you made an assumption. Posters can spew all the opinions they want, but the question of the thread got lost in the mix, I was simply trying to bring it home. It was my understanding that these forums were intended to provided answers which at times are opinions in themselves. This was not the case.

I will try ordering room service, I thank you all for that suggestion. I am in a D1 Balcony, so we will see how it goes. I am not comfortable showing up underdressed (and I am American...imagine that!). But I appreciated those that get all fixed up and look gorgeous on formal nights....I'll be peeking in to catch a glance of you.

I only cruise in the Cariibbean so I don't know about all this all I know is the last time some one posted some broad sweeping statement like this, I got banned from CC critic for a while for telling them where to put their attitudes. So this time I will make sure not to tell you, but you know.

Archived