Getting lobster tail without dressing up

Snostar

The lobster tail or the so called plater, the lobster tail was one of the best I have ever eaten. This comes from a family that has had all the lobster they could eat.

On other cruises, I have sent the lobster back, and sometimes do not even order it if available.

LOL, I did, order the prime rib first and also asked for a lobster tail, as a side but got the whole platter, I did finish most of both, I did skip lunch that day.

. I think the only cruisers that are happy with the food that is served is non-cruise critic cruisers!

I am very happy with the food served :) the desserts lack a little but Im not a huge dessert fan anyway.

I have only had "lobster" on one RCI cruise so far and IMO, it was pretty good. So good that I ordered seconds.

The reason I put quotes around the word lobster is because it is NOT to be confused with a REAL Maine lobster that is cooked while still alive and I feel many here try to do that.

Its as good as any you can get at a chain place on land and thats good enough for me.

I have said that many times on here! A lot of folks seem to try to compare 5 star restaurant food where you might pick out your own lobster and feeding 200 people on a busy night with a cruise ship feeding 2,000+ people a night. You can't make a comparison like that! I still think that RCI does a very good job to provide a good dining experiance with decent food for the amount of people they are feeding for each meal each day. I have yet to see paramedics waiting on the pier at the end of the cruise for people that have suffered from malnutrition. As I walk around the Windjammer at breakfast and lunch the place is packed out and plates are full and they are empty when they leave the table. I think the only cruisers that are happy with the food that is served is non-cruise critic cruisers!

Agree.

Well, the guests were ordering lobster like it was going out of style, and the waitstaff were hustling to keep up, what with zooming back and forth to the kitchen, and then serving and shell removal for each one.

I can't say enough about the wait staff--they work very hard. If there is a problem, we will bring it to the attention of the Maitre 'd, and this usually has good results. We make an effort to note good servers by name on the surveys, and we are extremely judicious with any criticism of them. These surveys mean so much to the servers' livelihood.

I agree, the staff works, hard, I'm not sure how that relates to what you quoted about expectation of food quality. Am I missing something?

I agree, the staff works, hard, I'm not sure how that relates to what you quoted about expectation of food quality. Am I missing something?

No, not really. I just got off the Ex yesterday, and the survey topic was on my mind when discussing dining. Sorry, my brain is still in cruise mode :)

teddie

No, not really. I just got off the Ex yesterday, and the survey topic was on my mind when discussing dining. Sorry, my brain is still in cruise mode :)

teddie

Not a problem, it's Monday and I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me having the brain still cruising issue. ;-)

Thanks for all the replies! Actually, I don't enjoy seafood, but my youngest son flips for it. Casual pants and button down collared shirts was all I wanted to bring for my boys. I didn't want to run out and buy them ties and jackets they will wear just for the cruise. A dress is simple enough for me. Thanks again!

I also just came of ExOS yesterday. We had second seating for the 2nd formal night, and some tables did not get lobster at all because the 1st seating had really run through them:(

You can also get lobster at Portofino's any night of the trip and the dress code is smart casual all the time there:)

On another note, I found it quite funny that one morning we were going into the MDR for breakfast, and my DH was turned away because he did not have sleeves on his shirt (think muscle shirt, not tank top) YET in our group was a woman with a tubetop cover up on over her swim suit (no sleeve or even shoulders to be seen anywhere) and they didn't even bat an eye (in fact she was standing next to my DH:p Talk about double standard - LOL

On the FR in Oct, they served tails........we had second seating......we asked for seconds and we were told they ran out........when we asked more about it,they told us the servers put some aside for themselves:eek: and they would go see..............they then brought out some more for us.

In Portofino,you can get twin lobster tails.......not on the menu,just ask.

On the Monarch a couple of weeks ago,they offered whole Maine lobster(for a cost)......I had it twice.............it was split in two and broiled............yummy!

How is it that folk are so very quick to be critical about the Lobster.. ie too small, overcooked dry, its not cold water lobster, not what it use to be blah blah blah......but its ok to show up dressed any way you want during this "suggested" formal event!!!

I'd love to see RCI "suggest" lobster ................Meaning hey if we "feel" like it we'll serve Lobster on this night. Heck Rci serves lobster all the time.. just tired doing it tonight........it's our ship!!!!

hehehehe i like this post!

I also just came of ExOS yesterday. We had second seating for the 2nd formal night, and some tables did not get lobster at all because the 1st seating had really run through them:(

You can also get lobster at Portofino's any night of the trip and the dress code is smart casual all the time there:)

On another note, I found it quite funny that one morning we were going into the MDR for breakfast, and my DH was turned away because he did not have sleeves on his shirt (think muscle shirt, not tank top) YET in our group was a woman with a tubetop cover up on over her swim suit (no sleeve or even shoulders to be seen anywhere) and they didn't even bat an eye (in fact she was standing next to my DH:p Talk about double standard - LOL

Its a sanitary thing - woman shave their armpits - men do not. Don't know about where you live but here in Jersey - if your a man and don't have sleeves your not getting in.

My young adult son was not upto going to MDR on formal night so we ordered room service (during dinner hrs) and lobster was delivered to our cabin.

wow good to know - were you in a suite?

We did Independence of the Seas in August 2011 and they had - 'Lobster tail?' It was the size of a pat of butter. This is no joke, it was the size of a pat of butter that they have in the MDR on the table. I know some passengers were taking pictures of it to show to the people back home. The waiters were really embarassed to serve it, it was soooooooooo smallllllllll. I'm sure someone has a picture of it. They probably can't find it as it is so small.

How is it that folk are so very quick to be critical about the Lobster.. ie too small, overcooked dry, its not cold water lobster, not what it use to be blah blah blah......but its ok to show up dressed any way you want during this "suggested" formal event!!!

I'd love to see RCI "suggest" lobster ................Meaning hey if we "feel" like it we'll serve Lobster on this night. Heck Rci serves lobster all the time.. just tired doing it tonight........it's our ship!!!!

ha ha ha ha, I love this, agree totally

Is that the standard for Maryland restaurants?

Thats what I was thinking...........suites get full dinner(lunch and breakfast too) menus in their cabins

I have ordered from the dining room menu during dinner hours, not in a suite. Another time my husband wasn't feeling well and didn't come to dinner, I ordered him dinner during dinner and our waiter not only agreed to taking the order, he delivered it himself! We never would have known, he didn't skip a beat during service.

Don't order off the room service menu, order from the in cabin TV.

LOL I love this. Maybe that's exactly what the ships should do.

Personally I still love to dress up on the ships. I love to see others dress as well. It doesn't have to be a $1000.00 gown to still look elegant.

I also think the ships should "require" long pants, and a nice looking shirt at a minimum. It doesn't have to be a white shirt, just a nice shirt.

Positively No Shorts, of any kind. No T-shirts,no sleeveless shirts. Heck, my husband was turned away in Las Vegas, at a restaurant for breakfast, because he had a sleeveless shirt on. The ships just keep letting the dress code slide more and more, and it's only going to get worse. Ok, I'm from an older generation, but I still like pretty.

Archived