Shorts in the Golden MDR!

Working 2 Cruise

This is a subject that I really don’t get, why those who like to dress up are so adamant on imposing their preferences on others. No one is asking those who like to dress up to stop dressing up. Those who prefer a more casual dress don’t mind if others dress up so why do the formal dressers care so much what others wear?

I realize that these are Princess’s rules so I respect and follow them on formal nights even though I would enjoy my cruise more if I was not required to bring formal dress. For those of you who think I should just cruise another line, I choose Princess for other reasons beyond the formal dress rules and it is worth it to me to tolerate those rules in order to cruise Princess.

I think it would be appropriate for Princess to divide their dining rooms into formal and non-formal on the so called formal nights so folks like me and many others on this thread can dine in the MDR in comfortable casual dress without offending those who care so much what others wear. This would solve the problem for both groups.

This is a subject that I really don’t get, why those who like to dress up are so adamant on imposing their preferences on others. No one is asking those who like to dress up to stop dressing up. Those who prefer a more casual dress don’t mind if others dress up so why do the formal dressers care so much what others wear?

Does the same line of thinking apply when you are invited to a wedding and formal attire is requested?

Do you think people who would wear a tee shirt, shorts, and flip-flops would fit right in at a funeral and this would not bother others?

I think it would be appropriate for Princess to divide their dining rooms into formal and non-formal on the so called formal nights so folks like me and many others on this thread can dine in the MDR in comfortable casual dress without offending those who care so much what others wear. This would solve the problem for both groups.

Not enough dining rooms except on the Diamond and Sapphire.

Your would need at least four: traditional formal, traditional casual, anytime formal and anytime casual.

Most of the ships have three, not four dining rooms. The Ocean and Pacific have only a single dining room.

see above in red

I think this is a valid issue. If some of my guests showed up to my wedding in shorts and flips flops, I'd be offended. Princess has a dress code, follow it. It's not that hard. Put on a decent pair of pants and shirt....really not that hard. If it's a matter of comfort, find clothes that fit right.

The clothing recommendations & photos in promotional material clearly shows what Princess advertises as their clothing recommendations. We've all read their definitions of smart casual & formal clothing which is what's expected by most of those who book a Princess cruise.

We all know what they "promise" in their ad's but in actuality you don't always get what is described, such as Broadway shows, terrific entertainment, a chair by the pools edge during the day, drinks with actual alcohol in them, a luxurious state room, a relaxing movie by the pool, etc.

Not to say they don't deliver a decent product but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

This would be a simple solution for most people who prefer casual dress but there would be the formalists who would be upset if the formal side of the DR were completely fill & they couldn't get seated immediately and had to wait till it emptied out?

Since most everyone that goes to the MDR wants a nice sit down dinner, served by the wait staff - it is unfair to ask that they settle for either serving themselves at the HC or having to pay at another restaurant to have dinner. There are two dining rooms on ships - one could be for the corset/cummberbund generation and the other could be for the more casual generation. Personally, I want the middle road - everyone dress "appropriate" for dinner - but what my definition of appropriate is and yours/theirs, could be totally different. My preference would be that men would wear short sleeve/long sleeved shirts and pants (no underarm/chest/leg hair hanging out) and women wear dresses/skirts/blouses/pantsuits. We do bring formal wear for each cruise - but each time I say that its the last - too much extra packing and worry about weight restrictions on the airlines.

But you are just imposing another dress code. Using your idea, one restaurant would be for people dress in formal wear and the other should allow any attire. That would allow shorts, t-shirts, bib overalls, bikinis, etc.

I always respect the dress code on cruise ships. Buit my husband started wearing nice jeans to dinner before that was OK and he was never turned down. Now I live in a resort town which it is common for everyone to wear shorts to dinner, even at the best resturants. I also do no bring long pants when going to Hawaii. BUT, on a cruise, I would be turned off if someone wore shorts to the MDR in the evening. You see, if one person does it, then soon it will be common to do so. So therefore we all should respect the rules(or suggestions) as to proper clothing.

Of course I remember when I had to wear a hat and gloves to go shopping in San Francisco. Now, it's legal to walk around nude! Can you believe it?

I also do no bring long pants when going to Hawaii. BUT, on a cruise, I would be turned off if someone wore shorts to the MDR in the evening. You see, if one person does it, then soon it will be common to do so. So therefore we all should respect the rules(or suggestions) as to proper clothing.

So, I guess if it becomes common to do so then it means that is what the people want. So why try to force everyone to something else?

I have never even noticed what the other people are wearing. And I sure would not let it spoil my dinner.

see above in red

Not enough dining rooms except on the Diamond and Sapphire.

Your would need at least four: traditional formal, traditional casual, anytime formal and anytime casual.

Most of the ships have three, not four dining rooms. The Ocean and Pacific have only a single dining room.

And to add how could Princess possibly know how many passengers would be dressing formal vs. casual. There could be a long line in one dining room and a totally empty dining room. If they offered a free cocktail for those who dressed formal you bet they would be breaking down the door of the MDR wearing their best red carpet attire. Even those who complain about the weight restrictions that the airlines pose would probably forfeit packing their coffee pots, fans, blenders, power strips and holiday decorations just to pack a suit.

</SPAN>

I always respect the dress code on cruise ships. Buit my husband started wearing nice jeans to dinner before that was OK and he was never turned down. Now I live in a resort town which it is common for everyone to wear shorts to dinner, even at the best resturants. I also do no bring long pants when going to Hawaii. BUT, on a cruise, I would be turned off if someone wore shorts to the MDR in the evening. You see, if one person does it, then soon it will be common to do so. So therefore we all should respect the rules(or suggestions) as to proper clothing.

Of course I remember when I had to wear a hat and gloves to go shopping in San Francisco. Now, it's legal to walk around nude! Can you believe it?

Only in California.....you guys are so lucky. :p

This is a subject that I really don’t get, why those who like to dress up are so adamant on imposing their preferences on others. No one is asking those who like to dress up to stop dressing up. Those who prefer a more casual dress don’t mind if others dress up so why do the formal dressers care so much what others wear? This has confused me too. I don't care what anyone wears. It is not going to spoil my dining experience. On our Hawaii cruise in October we chose not to do formal and we ate in the buffet. Several people came in there dressed in formal wear. Should we have been offended because they were spoiling our "casual" dining" experience?

I realize that these are Princess’s rules so I respect and follow them on formal nights even though I would enjoy my cruise more if I was not required to bring formal dress. For those of you who think I should just cruise another line, I choose Princess for other reasons beyond the formal dress rules and it is worth it to me to tolerate those rules in order to cruise Princess. They are "suggestions" - not rules. If they were rules then Princess would enforce them.

This would be hard to do. People should just accept that Princess has pretty much made a statement here - as long as you are neatly dressed they don't care what you wear and we just better get used to it.

Archived