Shorts in the Golden MDR!

Working 2 Cruise

I was appalled to see two older gentlemen (who were old enough to know better) being seated in the MDR wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops on the Nov. 23 Golden Princess sailing to Hawaii! :(

I mean, I can understand nice jeans and shirts, but tank tops and shorts? The headwaiter did not do anything to stop it either... :eek:

I was appalled to see two older gentlemen (who were old enough to know better) being seated in the MDR wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops on the Nov. 23 Golden Princess sailing to Hawaii! :(

I mean, I can understand nice jeans and shirts, but tank tops and shorts? The headwaiter did not do anything to stop it either... :eek:

Here is the dress code from Princess. Unfortunately, they do not enforce it. THEY SHOULD ENFORCE IT!!!! Shorts, tank tops, flip flops, etc. are unacceptable.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

I too just got off the Nov. 23rd Hawaii trip on Golden. The MDR apparently now accepts ANYTHING, as long as it's clothes. On formal nites we twice saw people in shorts and t-shirts and one young woman in a UCLA sweatshirt. That isn't even smart casual!!! Was very disappointed in Princess this time and it was our 8th cruise with them.

Joyce

If that is the written code, than people should try to respect that, but personally I could care less what people wear in any of the eating venues. When I am on vacation, I don't want the hassle of packing formal clothing. I take a pair of black pants and 2 nice shirts for MDR and eat on the balcony formal nights as I do not want to be direspectful to others. Someone sitting at a table with me in shorts and tee shirt isn't going to ruin my meal and if they don't like my pants and shirt, well, it isn't going to ruin my meal

If that is the written code, than people should try to respect that, but personally I could care less what people wear in any of the eating venues. When I am on vacation, I don't want the hassle of packing formal clothing. I take a pair of black pants and 2 nice shirts for MDR and eat on the balcony formal nights as I do not want to be direspectful to others. Someone sitting at a table with me in shorts and tee shirt isn't going to ruin my meal and if they don't like my pants and shirt, well, it isn't going to ruin my meal

I couldn't agree more. I don't care anymore what people are wearing because I've never seen the rules enforced or anyone turned away.

On this next cruise we are also skipping the formal nights. One formal night we are doing the UBD experience and the other formal night we plan to grab some pizza and go in the hot tubs. :D

We are also starting to travel on more lines that have country club casual every evening.

All I can think of is our friends whose luggage was lost for 5 out of 7 days of their cruise. They had what they wore at embarkation and the other outfit in their carry on bag. We spend out first port day trying to get them something else to wear (including underwear and socks). As this was a Mediterranean cruise and their airline lost the luggage, they had no choice but to wear what they had. I can understand how some people get put out when they are making an effort and others, it appears, are not, we might want to have a word with the head waiter and express your disappointment. If there are circumstances, I am sure they would tell you. If they have to deal with a bunch of other people complaining, they might take action, as they don't want the properly dressed folks giving them bad marks.

All I can think of is our friends whose luggage was lost for 5 out of 7 days of their cruise. They had what they wore at embarkation and the other outfit in their carry on bag. We spend out first port day trying to get them something else to wear (including underwear and socks). As this was a Mediterranean cruise and their airline lost the luggage, they had no choice but to wear what they had. I can understand how some people get put out when they are making an effort and others, it appears, are not, we might want to have a word with the head waiter and express your disappointment. If there are circumstances, I am sure they would tell you. If they have to deal with a bunch of other people complaining, they might take action, as they don't want the properly dressed folks giving them bad marks.

This reminded me of the cruise I took with my DD. Our luggage was lost for 10 of the 12 days of our cruise. My daughter had the clothes on her back, literally. I had spent 3 days in Rome before the start so had a few more clothes. ALL our nice/formal clothes did not make it on the ship. We made the best of it by buying a new t-shirt in every port so that we had something different to wear. Think about it, when was the last time you saw underwear for sale at the local shops right off the ships. This was the old Island Princess and shopping on board was not an option. I'll never forget when the ship offered us free laundry. The guy shows up at the cabin door and tells my 20 YO daughter that he'll have the clothes back in 24 hours. She says "that's all I have to wear and unless you want me to go naked, you'll have it back in a few hours". Everyone knew us on the ship. I have to say, if not for the generousness of the crew and other passengers it would have been a very bad trip.

The other side of the coin ... on our first Princess sailing in 2010, I went to dinner in the Lido wearing shorts and a top and felt decidedly underdressed. From that day on, I made the effort to change into a dress or skirt and top or slacks and blouse.

Just a few more examples about what Princess is allowing in the dining rooms lately. and although I don't wear shorts in the evening why get upset about someone else wearing them is hard to comprehend- after all it was an Hawaiian cruise. :D

Certainly it didn't ruin your complete meal since you were properly dressed.

btw- Do you remember the head waiter's name at the DR door?

On our last cruise on the Crown in April we saw men each night wearing shorts and t-shirts into the MDR at night, no problem whatsoever. I personally respect the policy, but Princess is causing all of this frustration on CC because of a lack of uniform enforcement of their own policies.

It doesn't bother me in the least what people wear, just stating my observations.

Mike

That's great the two older gentlemen had the common sense to wear whats comfortable. Shorts tshirts and flipflops should mandatory in a least one dining room on the ship.

Just out of curiosity, Brad, what would be uncomfortable about long slacks and a open necked shirt? For that matter what is uncomfortable about a properly fitted suit and tie? Trouble with so many cruisers is that they've outgrown their clothes 20 years ago.

Archived