Euro

irishjim

:mad:Wife and I cruised Norway,Denmark Sweden ect ect. can Anyone explain

why most Stores,Cafes,Patio Bars will not accept Euros,only their local money.Around the ports it was ok,Took home a lot of euros.In France everyone took Euros.Is it any wonder they are having problems in the Eurozone.I could have aquired local money if I wanted to,my point is why have Euros if they are not being accepted by local shops?Hope someone knows the answer?:confused::confused:

why most Stores,Cafes,Patio Bars will not accept Euros,only their local money.Around the ports it was ok,Took home a lot of euros.In France everyone took Euros.Is it any wonder they are having problems in the Eurozone.I could have aquired local money if I wanted to,my point is why have Euros if they are not being accepted by local shops?Hope someone knows the answer?:confused::confused:

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but countries adopt their own currencies. Establishments in a country that has not adopted the euro won't accept the euro. Not hard to understand.

In the U.S., retailers don't take Canadian dollars. Same thing.

That's easy; the currency is France is the Euro so of course they'll take it there while Scandinavia have opted to keep their own currencies making spending Euros beyond the ports harder. Why not spend 3 seconds checking that kind of thing out pre-trip rather than blaming others after the fact?

Let's assume it's not a troll question, and not a political stir-up.

Why would any shop owner needed the pain of going to a bank or exchange place to exchange Euro? Would you like to receive Euro in the US?

From my personal experience, US credit cards are widely accepted, and no headache of conversion for shopkeepers, not for how much to charge you, not for how much in tax to forward to the gov't.

I had to use credit card in countries where the Euro wasn't used.

Didn't want to buy currency for many countries and be left with it, never to use again.

However on a recent trip, in tourist areas any currency was accepted.

Pounds, Euros, and dollars. An example was Greenland where the

Danish money was their money. In Iceland I used American money and Euros. In Russia, they will take whatever you are willing to give them.

As a poster pointed out, in U.S. we only take our own currency. To unload foreign currency, you go to a money exchange or bank and are charged a premium.

Here are the 23 countries where the Euro is currently the local currency:

1) Andorra

2) Austria

3) Belgium

4) Cyprus

5) Estonia

6) Finland

7) France

8) Germany

9) Greece

10) Ireland

11) Italy

12) Kosovo

13) Luxembourg

14) Malta

15) Monaco

16) Montenegro

17) Netherlands

18) Portugal

19) San Marino

20) Slovakia

21) Slovenia

22) Spain

23) Vatican City

Note that Denmark, Sweden, and Norway are not among them. However, when we were in Arhus Denmark There was a local crafts tent set up on the dock which had four cash boxes: Euro, Dollar, GBPound, and local Krone, and all items were price-marked in all four currencies. You got your change back in whatever currency you paid with. A great idea, I thought!

FYI - On my cruise last year, I found that Turkey and Egypt also prefered Euros to US $, however with all the issues with the EC and the Euro I would have US4 in case.

In Kusadasi, many stores had prices in Euros and local currency listed and not US$ (be sure to know exchange rate). Egypt would give you change in local currency if you paid with egyptian pounds or US$ (at least the small local stores). If you paid in Euros the same stores would give change in Euros.

Archived