Upset with the Royal Caribbean "low-price" guarantee

Isail2011

I'm a first time Royal Caribbean customer. I booked my cruise yesterday. Found a lower price for the same ship, same sailing, and same category of cabins within an hour of booking. They will not lower my price or give me any on board credit. Today, I found the price drop again. I called them again. They have a “48 hours best price guaranty”. I'm very upset that they push me around and not honoring the promise. RCL told me that since I booked through a website, the travel agent of that site will be able to help me. The travel agent told me that RCL will not allow them to give me any credit or upgrade. They are not even willing to move my two cabins next to each other. I have the proof that they have the cabins available and selling at a lower price. Although I caught them selling the same cabin at a lower price within 48 hours of my booking, twice!!!, I was told that I'm stucked with the high fare I paid. I would like to know if anybody has the same experience. How could you resolve this? Any feedback or ideas is greatly appreciated.

:mad:

I booked my Alaska with a popular book everything site. Their price for an obstructed view ocean view was lower than NCL. NCL has a AARP discount of 5% if you book 9 months in advance. I mentioned that to the TA from the site a couple days after booking, she claims to have called NCL and that they said no. I don't believe her. It likely effects her commission. Unless I get one hack of a deal, I will not book a cruise with that site again. I think it's your TA and not RCI. If you could, I would cancel and rebook with RCI. :mad:

They said that they will charge me more to make any changes. I do not want to pay a penny more than I paid. They are aware of the two cabins situation. The cabin situation was caused by their website's design anyway. I can only book one at a time. After I book one, the next one was gone. I have no choice but to book a close one. The children are under 18. I caught them lower the fare twice within 24 hours. Both the TA and RCL has 48 hour price guarantee. Don't you think they owe me a free upgrade or a free move at least? The TA told me to settle with RCL at the pier now. I'm not sure RCL will do anything for me. I have talked to RCL reps. They said that I can file an oneline request form if the agent does not help. I did. Just got the word, go back to your agent. I hope RCL's people are reading and do a little thing for me to win my business in the future. I do not see this is promising now.

Thanks again!

They said that they will charge me more to make any changes. I do not want to pay a penny more than I paid. They are aware of the two cabins situation. The cabin situation was caused by their website's design anyway. I can only book one at a time. After I book one, the next one was gone. I have no choice but to book a close one. The children are under 18. I caught them lower the fare twice within 24 hours. Both the TA and RCL has 48 hour price guarantee. Don't you think they owe me a free upgrade or a free move at least? The TA told me to settle with RCL at the pier now. I'm not sure RCL will do anything for me. I have talked to RCL reps. They said that I can file an oneline request form if the agent does not help. I did. Just got the word, go back to your agent. I hope RCL's people are reading and do a little thing for me to win my business in the future. I do not see this is promising now.

Thanks again!

Listen up and listen good: you MAKE your travel agent fix that or you MAY be denied boarding when you go to get on that ship. Call your TA and do not get off the phone until they fix the minor kids issue. RCI has begun cracking down on this.

Again, RCI cannot help you - your TA must. Had you booked directly with RCI, they would assist you. Do not take your TA's word for it that RCI is not willing to help.

Listen up and listen good: you MAKE your travel agent fix that or you MAY be denied boarding when you go to get on that ship. Call your TA and do not get off the phone until they fix the minor kids issue. RCI has begun cracking down on this.

Again, RCI cannot help you - your TA must. Had you booked directly with RCI, they would assist you. Do not take your TA's word for it that RCI is not willing to help.

Maybe if you do call RCCL and say your kids cabin is down the hall RCCL WILL LOOK INTO FOR YOU.

Jimbo:)

OP-Honestly--you do not seem to understand your travel agent holds all the cards here--not Royal Caribbean. If they will not do anything for you, then that is their fault and not the cruise lines. I understand your frustration and empathize with you. 5 pages of people trying to help here and all have said the same thing. You need to start agreeing.

What a lot of us are confused about is why you are so angry. Most of the people on the ship probably paid as much or more--sure, a few booked on the Tuesday special and got a lower rate that amounted to a significant amount of savings, but I wouldn't say that would have been a substantial # of folks.

When working with a real TA, they would have known that special was coming up at the time you were making the reservation and hence, would have recommended you wait until Tuesday to book.

As for the first price drop on Monday (before the Tuesday sale) that is between you and the travel agency. I'm really sorry they are causing you so much grief. Call and make a complaint to BBB, but I don't believe you have any recourse with RCCL on this one.

I am concerned about the minor piece. I'm not sure how RCCL handles that at check-in. Some have stated you need to have the TA make that right (without an additional charge as they allowed you to make that reservation and I'm fairly certain you were required to add the ages at the time of reserving). I would hope that RCCL would have it their system and ensure the rooms were assigned according to their policy, but I do not have experience in that piece.

Through all your rage, it has been very difficult for the folks here to really assist. I hope you take the advice of numerous posts to enjoy your vacation--afterall you did book at a price you were willing to pay--and not blame RCCL or taint this vacation based of the experience. Also, please please please do not carry this same attitude on to the ship with your fellow passengers. I assure you they all paid good money as well for a family Christmas vacation and would rather enjoy it in happiness and not pettiness of what you paid for your vacation and how you got ripped off by your travel agent.

Thanks again!

Do us all a favor and don't listen to your TA anymore. Those morons shouldn't even be in the business. However your TA needs to fix that cabin situation NOW. The cruise line cannot do it at the pier since the ship is full. They can't be moving people around on embarkation day to fix what an incompetant TA did to begin with. As stated earlier you may be denied boarding because of this cabin issue.

Do us all a favor and don't listen to your TA anymore. Those morons shouldn't even be in the business. However your TA needs to fix that cabin situation NOW. The cruise line cannot do it at the pier since the ship is full. They can't be moving people around on embarkation day to fix what an incompetant TA did to begin with. As stated earlier you may be denied boarding because of this cabin issue.

Royal Caribbean will simply make one parent stay in each cabin, since there will be no way to fix the cabins at check-in time.

They are not going to fix this unless they are going to charge me more. (a lot more) They also indicated that, nobody is going to care about the two kids in one room situation. They said that they are not going to pay for my upgrade. RCL will not upgrade me without charging me. I saw they were selling at a lower price yesterday with available adjacent cabins (my level). They said that I was not eligible for the lower price, which was available to the general public. If I want to move something, I have to pay more than I currently paid. I’m screwed here. Thanks for all the advice. I'm at their mercy. Both TA and RCL have no mercy.

They are not going to fix this unless they are going to charge me more. (a lot more) They also indicated that, nobody is going to care about the two kids in one room situation. They said that they are not going to pay for my upgrade. RCL will not upgrade me without charging me. I saw they were selling at a lower price yesterday with available adjacent cabins (my level). They said that I was not eligible for the lower price, which was available to the general public. If I want to move something, I have to pay more than I currently paid. I’m screwed here. Thanks for all the advice. I'm at their mercy. Both TA and RCL have no mercy.

Yesterday was Tuesday. Royal Caribbean runs "Tuesday Specials" which are available for new bookings only. Several of us have stated this over and over again.

Your TA is wrong. (again) Royal Caribbean VERY MUCH CARES about minors alone in a cabin.

Royal Caribbean, as many have told you here, is not a part of this. YOUR TRAVEL AGENT IS. It is the TA who has messed up, if anyone has.

You're still beleiving everything "They Said". Everyone here has tried. You'll just never get it.

From what I understand, the better pricing OP saw was a Tuesday sale which (s)he was not eligible for anyway. So that is really not an issue.

And then there is the minor children's cabin. Will RCI be able to separate the parents to different rooms at the pier? If so, there is really no issue.

Royal Caribbean, as many have told you here, is not a part of this. YOUR TRAVEL AGENT IS. It is the TA who has messed up, if anyone has.

Based on what I read from this thread, I am inclined to think the TA might not be the problem either. ;) The TA might have tried to explain to OP the way many here have without getting through.

I learned a lot from all of you who offered opinions and help. I wish I was here earlier. I did not even know that the kid’s cabin needs to be next to ours. The TA did not advise me that. I did call to ask how to book the two cabins together. They said that the website does not have that function. You have to act quickly. I also thought, if the TA does not help, RCL will interfere. Wrong again. They did not help at all. We will not show grief to any follow passengers. As you have said, they paid their hard earn money. Everybody come on the cruise for a good time. We are going to spend a very merry Christmas on board the Jewel of the Seas with all the cruisers on board.

I understand that all you are saying that RCL is not at fault. The TA still make me believe that RCL is behind them. RCL is the boss. Their word, the cruise line is not going to do anything for you. that's why we can not do anything for you.

Thanks again for all your help and support!

Are there any circumstances that won't allow you to cancel the reservation and re-book at the lower fare with the two cabins you want next to each other? As long as you are not beyond final payment date, there is no penalty for this. Otherwise it sounds to me like the TA is jacking you around.

Are there any circumstances that won't allow you to cancel the reservation and re-book at the lower fare with the two cabins you want next to each other? As long as you are not beyond final payment date, there is no penalty for this. Otherwise it sounds to me like the TA is jacking you around.

Their cruise in in a couple of weeks.

From what I understand, the better pricing OP saw was a Tuesday sale which (s)he was not eligible for anyway. So that is really not an issue.

And then there is the minor children's cabin. Will RCI be able to separate the parents to different rooms at the pier? If so, there is really no issue.

Based on what I read from this thread, I am inclined to think the TA might not be the problem either. ;) The TA might have tried to explain to OP the way many here have without getting through.

Either that, or they saw the OP coming and trying to get all they can.

I was stupid and listend the non-sense. I booked less than 24 hrs. Mistake after mistake. I just let them guide me through the wrong pass. All becaue that I did not know better. Thanks!

The most sensable thing you posted in this entire thread!

Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm guessing you booked through this particular TA because at the time of booking, they had the lowest price out there, or so they made you think.

I'm also guessing they purchased a block of cabins, and then resold them, locking in their profits. And now that RCCL has offered the remaining cabins, (NOT the ones your TA purchased), at a reduced rate, your feeling like you got the shaft from RCCL, thanks to suggestions made to you by the TA. You see, if the TA cancelled your existing reservation, and rebooked you in one of the lower priced cabins, (the ones they don't own), they would lose all of their profit and only earn the standard commission, plus they would still be on the hook for the cabin they own, (your current reservation).

So what you paid for was a slip-shod TA, and that is EXACTLY what you got.

Sometimes lifes lessons can be a little hard to accept.

Let me give you some free advise on another one, NEVER EVER sign up for one of those voucher deals that some telemarketer is offering you at an unbelievable price. THe agony you will go through will be equally unbelievable.

I do not know what's behind it. But the cabins I booked were at a comparable rate than other website. I do not know any TAs. I tried to get a Sunday paper, but the paper was sold out. Looked at travel magazine, did not find anything. This internet site looks good to me. They guarantee the lowest price. (?) Their rate was not extremely low. that's why the rate dropped with in hours, and again the next day. I read some articles from the internet, it says it is better to buy cruises from a website or agent. I did not expect to get into this trouble.

I really appreciate all the comments and supports I got from this board. I might pay more than many of the cruisers; I have your understanding and help. I feel better already.

Glad you are starting to feel better but, you still have a problem with the cabin arrangement. Even if you put 1 adult in each cabin for check in purposes, and then try and circumnavigate by just having the adults sleep in one cabin and the kids in the other, will you really feel happy having your young kids so far away on their own?

What was the outcome of the 3 way call with the TA and RCI?, can't beleive it wasn't resolved during that call

Through all your rage, it has been very difficult for the folks here to really assist. I hope you take the advice of numerous posts to enjoy your vacation--afterall you did book at a price you were willing to pay--and not blame RCCL or taint this vacation based of the experience. Also, please please please do not carry this same attitude on to the ship with your fellow passengers. I assure you they all paid good money as well for a family Christmas vacation and would rather enjoy it in happiness and not pettiness of what you paid for your vacation and how you got ripped off by your travel agent.

Exactly what I've been thinking, but couldn't put it into words. I was just ready to bop the OP over the head with an inflatable baseball bat :D

Everyone makes mistakes, someone will always get a better deal (wouldn't you just love to walk around an airplane and ask everyone what they paid?), sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield!

I hate to ask, but are you flying to the port?

I called them after seeing the post that my cabin arrangement might be an issue. The TA stated clear,

1. They (TA) are not going to do anything for me. The cruise line is not going to do anything for me.

2. They do not have cabins available for me to upgrade or move for that matter. (just as they told me last time.) If I found there are cabins available, I need to call them.

3. If the adjacent cabins cost $1000 more than I paid, I need to pick up the tab. No free or reduced upgrade what so ever.

I'm really tired of them by now. At the time I was calling them last night, there are cabins bookable at a higher price. They insisted that the ship was full. I believe that I might be able to find some cabins later if I monitor it. But, I'm not willing to pay additional on top of the high price I paid. TA did not advise me on this. I have pointed out the issue several times when they have the same level of cabins available at a lower price. They refused to move my cabins together, even at the price I paid. Remember, the cabin's price was significantly lower than what I paid at the time. I did not even know that it is required the cabins need to be together for parents and children. Anyway, my children are teens. They are not that small. Hopefully, just like the TA said, no one cares. I know for a fact that they do not care for sure.

Thanks again!

Exactly what I've been thinking, but couldn't put it into words. I was just ready to bop the OP over the head with an inflatable baseball bat :D

Everyone makes mistakes, someone will always get a better deal (wouldn't you just love to walk around an airplane and ask everyone what they paid?), sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield!

I hate to ask, but are you flying to the port?

No, we live close by. We are going to drive. Please note that airline does not have best fare guarantee. Cruise line and the booking website have. If there is a guarantee, would you think they will make their word good?!!! Also, I'm within their required time window of 48 hours of booking.

Thanks!

Glad you are starting to feel better but, you still have a problem with the cabin arrangement. Even if you put 1 adult in each cabin for check in purposes, and then try and circumnavigate by just having the adults sleep in one cabin and the kids in the other, will you really feel happy having your young kids so far away on their own?

What was the outcome of the 3 way call with the TA and RCI?, can't beleive it wasn't resolved during that call

Left a call back number for three way with the TA. Never got the call back. Called again, other agent did not arrange the three way call. Talked with RCL directly. They did not help. Totally tired by now. Thanks for all the concerns.

Archived