Grand Cayman ideas?

xplor97

Visiting GC in April and four ships are scheduled to be in port that particular day. We have been to GC several times before. Will be just my wife and I. We have done Stingray city, 7 mile beach and walked the port area. Can anyone recommend a spot for us? Looking to relax with either the beach or a pool or both, food and drink. My wife likes to relax and get some sun. I'm more social and would like a fun little bar and some music. Something relatively easy to get to via taxi is ok. A place to spend the day at and just enjoy ourselves and the scenery. Thanks!

Greg

Visiting GC in April and four ships are scheduled to be in port that particular day. We have been to GC several times before. Will be just my wife and I. We have done Stingray city, 7 mile beach and walked the port area. Can anyone recommend a spot for us? Looking to relax with either the beach or a pool or both, food and drink. My wife likes to relax and get some sun. I'm more social and would like a fun little bar and some music. Something relatively easy to get to via taxi is ok. A place to spend the day at and just enjoy ourselves and the scenery. Thanks!

Greg

IMHO you have just described heading over to My Bar at Sunset House. No beach but a great place for a snorkle. Ask nice at the bar and they say, sure, use the pool, (as long as you are buying)

Take a chance and play dominoes with the local folks that will be there - but bring a couple of hundred to cover your losses.

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

SOUTH of Georgetown and the main tender landings, west of the alternate tender site (the one on the south side)

:D That's what I get for using landmarks to navigate rather than a GPS. To me, everything headed towards East End is east, and everything towards West Bay is west...

So...My Bar...is this a place to spend the day at? Food, drink, music? Can we swim in the ocean there and snorkel?

Check the web site . . . .

here's what I like

- you will likely see NO other cruise folk here (except maybe a few crew) cuz it is farther down the road.

- above means the snorkeling is such that you likely won't see another snorkelor - but know this is a VERY popular diving and snorkeling spot (the folks staying there are hard core divers and their morning boat trips will return around 12 - they will head to My Bar for lunch . . . menu on the web site ... note prices are CI $1us = .80ci; or $1ci = $1.20us; or she may look 20 but she's 16 CI) I've dove or snorkeled the reef there every day I've stayed - over the course of many week long visits. This is an independently owned place that's been around for a long time . . .

- no live music . . . but bar background stuff yes .. you are NOT going to find M'ville or Carlos and Charlies crazies here. Quiet and nice.

- My Bar is one of the most popular bars among the folks that live and WORK in GC . . . if you want M'ville that's where you should go. If you want to experience quiet Cayman, join me at Sunset House..... great place to watch for the green flash

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

Since we've been to GC quite a few times, we now go to Sunset House when we are here for a cruise (unless we are traveling with first timers, then it's Stingray City and onto My Bar). We love this place. The snorkeling is awesome (love the little "natural" pool out to the ocean) and they will let you use the swimming pool if you ask nicely. The food is fantastic, the beer is cold the views are gorgeous, the prices are the best on the island and the lack of crowds is our favorite part. Love, Love, Love it here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We usually head for the Reef (Royal Palms outdoor grill) for a relaxing beer and burger after seeing the island, not far from port.

One spot we haven't been to yet is Rum Point and we will be going there when we return for a week stay. The problem is getting there on a cruise stop, a taxi would probably be very expensive. But check with experts on tripadvisor for ideas there, sounds like a great place to spend a day!

Archived