Am I the only one.....

bgrdfn

The good side of not getting them involved is you get to make all the decisions. My wife really enjoys showing up and being surprised and so far has loved all my choices. All she knew about Allure was that it was the biggest ship we have been on. Her reaction on embarkation day was priceless.

It has become more challenging on this cruise, as my parents are in their mid 70's, and can not participate in some of the excursions that we want to go on (Zip lining, Cave Tubing, etc). They are going to have to fend for themselves this time - I can only plan so much!!

I hear you. I'm the planner, too. I wish the wife and kids (19 & 23 now) would be more excited about the cruise and more involved in its planning. But, I guess they are just less extreme.

For me, vacations are relatively rare and fairly pricey. So, I want them to go off without too many glitches. And, I certainly don't want any catastrophe's like finding out we didn't bring along necessary cruise documents, or like finding ourselves in a run-down pre-cruise motel.

My wife's attitude is, "Relax!" It's a vacation. My attitude is, it's a vacation, one of those special times when I want to have FUN! I may be in my late 50s but I'm still a kid at heart. I want my vacation to be as FUN and as glitch-free as I can reasonably make it.

I've scoured the internet using Google to find interesting and dramatic pictures of cruise ships and I've saved those in a folder. Then, each day or so I switch to a different photo as my desktop background. It helps keep the excitement going.

I'm happy to see that there are others like me out there, and even some who are a little more cruise OCD than I am. What the heck, enjoy!

Hello. I am "Newhere" and I am a cruise planning addict.

It's not that I am really a control freak - I just know that if I don't plan everything - nothing will get done. No excursions, specialty dinners, entertainment reservations, hotel, room, ....well, you get the picture

Oh-and if I don't plan - my family then says-why didn't we have anything planned? When do we go to see "Chicago"......duh.

:D

Leaving on Sunday and CANNOT WAIT!

(gotta gome home now and double check the passports, documents, hotel...bye)

THis whole thread illustrates the exact reason why I never book through a TA. I would be on the phone with them every other day and drive them completely nuts!

I totally agree with you on that. I have never booked through a travel agent. They would have me on the do not call list. I love the planning phase of cruising. It is so exciting to look ahead on what you will be doing for the week or two that you will be on board. That said I can't wait until we book our next cruise.

I am the only one, too, and I prefer it this way! This way, I can do my own research, and make sure that everyone, including myself, will like the plans. By now, my family knows that I won't steer them wrong; they really trust me :)

teddie

Ugh! Same way here! I swear I'm the only one excited for the planning process. It almost seems as though I'm basically pulling teeth to sit down and talk about excursions. He just doesn't show the emotions like I do. I've learned to cut my cruise comments down to him and let them all out on here!

Hi I'm Paul and I'm a Cruisaholic!

I'm so glad to know there are others out there! I have to make an effort not to talk about it everyday leading up to a cruise, because I drive my wife crazy:D. We're 51 days out from Serenade and I keep telling her we need to get moving on excursions. That's the only detail I don't have nailed down yet.

I tease my DH that he is a closet Travel Agent, he loves to check and re-check prices and availability to get the best price and location for ships and hotels.

But when it come to the actual cruise somehow I become Julie the cruise director, and I really dont like it, but if I dont suggest stuff to do I swear we would just sit either in the cabin or in a bar the whole cruise.

Love this thread - I am not alone!!!!

Actually in my previous life (now retired), I was a Protocol Officer and planning the details was my job! I also got my masters in Tourism (right before retiring) because I loved the selection of courses and thought - hey why not! Now I plan vacations for myself and DH. He listens and nods and agrees on decisions so that is his participation. I do a three ring "trip book" for whatever vacation I plan and everyone in the party gets a copy to answer the 4 W's - what, when, where, and why.

It is not a question of control or over planning - it is how I process and be assured that we have explored options and are ahead of "Murphy". Of course, once we are in "the execution phase" - I back off and relax with what is.

Love this thread - and to all you planners - PLAN ON!

Honestly, am I the only one that can't get the rest of my family involved in our pre-cruise planning? Seriously, I am totally obsessed every time we book a cruise. I check at least 5 times a day to see if a better cabin location is available. I check the web cam on Oasis on formal nights to make sure a tux isn't needed (it's not by the way). I check 3 times a week to see if I can get a hotel nearer to the port, at a lower rate, than I already have booked. These are only a few of my "issues". Why, oh why can I not get my family involved in the pre-planning enjoyment of our trip? PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in my affliction.

Maybe you just spoiled them and now they rely on you to do all the work.

You have made my day by posting this...My family does nothing but show up.... I research plan, research..fret..plan some more. I book, everything...

Last cruise I told my 22yo and my 19yo they had to make all the plans..they did nothing.

So this time I assigned them each an island... That didnt get me anywhere, I asked why they werent working on it they both said they knew Id take care of it. When I ask what they want to do they said I know what they like they'll do whatever.

Sorta nice, but it would be nice if they would share in the excitement.

Honestly, am I the only one that can't get the rest of my family involved in our pre-cruise planning? Seriously, I am totally obsessed every time we book a cruise. I check at least 5 times a day to see if a better cabin location is available. I check the web cam on Oasis on formal nights to make sure a tux isn't needed (it's not by the way). I check 3 times a week to see if I can get a hotel nearer to the port, at a lower rate, than I already have booked. These are only a few of my "issues". Why, oh why can I not get my family involved in the pre-planning enjoyment of our trip? PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in my affliction.

You're not alone! :D I'm the same way. Maybe less obsessive, checking price and location just daily, but you're not alone!

My next cruise actually started as a joke. I told my brother and his bride to be that if they wanted a cruise honeymoon I would put together some options for them to pick from. Now we are joining them along with a few other couples. I've been spamming everyone's emails with reminders to book what when and where. Sending them tips information.. On and on... The funny part is a few of them have cruised way more than I have.

What gets me is all of you are no help with your suggestions and great ideas and information. Enablers! All of you. ;)

I hooked up my laptop to the big screen TV and made my wife watch every Allure sailaway on the webcam for a month before our trip. I even showed her where we would stand and wave to the cam, which we did.

What gets me is all of you are no help with your suggestions and great ideas and information. Enablers! All of you. ;)

My recommendation: Keep a sharp eye, and a quick Internet search engine, to find that next cruise, excursion and specialty dining location!!

This is too funny. While I *TRY* not to over plan, I am the one here, I am the one that does do most of the planning. When my DH looks over at me and I am back on CC, he asks me what I learned today to make our trip better. We also tend to book a year or more out so initially, the talks and decisions are obsessive, but after booked, the waiting is a killer. Can't book excursions, on-board reservations, etc.

We have looked at the excursion list and private companies, talked about type of excursions and where to plan and where to wing it. Our DD and her hubby will be joining us and they won't even know what they can spend on excursions for probably another 6 months.

I am *learning* to temper. Of course, this far out, lots of time for google, tripadvisor, research research research. This trip will require a lot of planning due to all new places for us. I have never been to Europe, couple extra days in Barcelona then a week to train through France. B&B or hotels....which cities to stay in...which wineries to go to...

The list goes on and on. I do the research then share with DH. He does have interest but not the desire to research like I do. I can bring him a listing of a couple of choices and we make decisions. I just bring him one item at a time.

Excel is my friend!

Yes, I am the planner, too. I get travel books from the library and then stick little pieces of paper between each page I want DH to review.

He says he reads the info but I seriously doubt it because he never seems to know what there is to do at our ports of call. I always feel bad because it seems I get to do all the things I want to do but he's just going along for the ride and may not be getting to do things he'd be interested in doing. But, I've decided it's his fault - not mine.

We were in Barcelona on a B2B cruise and spent the afternoon walking around. DH really liked that and decided he wanted to go back. So, we finally made it this past May and spent 4 nights there. Of course, he didn't read up on things to do before we got there so he had no idea what great things there are to see and do. Now he's decided that we need to go back. I'm not complaining, believe me. He finally admitted that maybe he needs to look at the tour books before we leave home so he knows what things to watch for.

That's ok with me. Maybe I'll get to go back to Auckland, NZ so I can jump off the Sky Tower after all.

I'm the detailed planner when it comes to our cruises, and my wife (in most cases) goes along with the flow.

In addition, I'm also the one who enjoys the more -- what should I call it? -- esoteric humerous things about cruising, such as: 1) watching and laughing at the folks running down the pier at the last minute before the ship pulls out and leaves them behind, 2) watching and laughing at the people at the Flowrider with, ummm, "the wrong type of swimsuit for the ocassion"

Michael

I am the main planner of all vacations. I don't think it is always that your family doesn't want to do any planning. I think it is more like:

1) they have a planner who does a very good job

2) they know they aren't good at planning

3) they would be told their choices are wrong

4) there is always problems with any plans they do make

Case and point is our Germany trip this year. We visited 5 cities. I decided to plan 4 of them because my husband wanted to plan Frankfurt.

Well, all of my hotels were in the heart of the city, included breakfast, two had free small mini bars, and 1 had free parking.

His hotel was in a suburb of Frankfurt (about a half hr away by train which stopped running in the evening), had no breakfast option, and had no a/c (it was about 80 degrees outside).

Got news for you if you don't plan ahead for Allure or Oasis, you misssed the boat so to speak........:eek:

Jimbo:)

That is what I'm expecting. However I've heard of schedule changes on the Allure are very common. Which is fine. My schedule is intended as a guide to follow when we need it, and to ignore when we want to just relax.

Archived