Door peepholes installed during Maasdam cruise

WriterOnDeck

During our just-completed 45-day cruise on the Maasdam, they came around one day and installed peepholes on our doors. They have a swinging cover for the inside, which nicely eliminates any light coming in.

My only nitpick is that they installed them all on our deck so that the hole is at eye level for someone who is at least 5-foot 5-inches. At 5'3" I really had to get on my tiptoes to see out. Anyone much shorter would find it useless. I am somewhat amazed that they didn't take into account the large number of shorter people and install them a few inches lower -- tall people can always bend over to accommodate the lower level.

I hear you there. I am only 5'2" so I can relate. I am going on the Maasdam in May so I can check them out. I get so angry when I go the the supermarket, department store or anywhere that the shelves are higher than I can reach or the product to pushed way back so I can not reach it. I feel so helpless having to ask someone to get it for me. Luckily my husband is 6 ft so he can easily reach things. He has no idea what it is like at my level.......

5'0" here! and short arms to boot! Not fair but it's a healthy body so I"m glad to have it!

Peep holes in hotels are usually useless for me and these will probably be too. Oh well. Somehow I survived my cruises without a peephole and will continue to. I think they installed them becasue of a SOLAS requirement, and maybe it was their standard height they they used. It's funny because I'm not that short compared to many of the crew! m--

Good points and I am surprised under ADA accommodation guidelines this would not also be made accessible to those in a wheel chair too if this is even a possible to look into this peephole from a wheelchair.

On a similar note after hearing Ruth C's complaint about the inaccessibility of the electrical outlet high above the sink area, I checked it out because I did not know it even existed.

It is designed to take the old same-sized plug prongs so if it could be reached by shorter people, it can't be used for most new dissimilar-sized pronged electrical appliances anyway. Net zero loss.

During our just-completed 45-day cruise on the Maasdam, they came around one day and installed peepholes on our doors. They have a swinging cover for the inside, which nicely eliminates any light coming in.

My only nitpick is that they installed them all on our deck so that the hole is at eye level for someone who is at least 5-foot 5-inches. At 5'3" I really had to get on my tiptoes to see out. Anyone much shorter would find it useless. I am somewhat amazed that they didn't take into account the large number of shorter people and install them a few inches lower -- tall people can always bend over to accommodate the lower level.

And it's about time! The "peepholes" should have been installed during the construction of the ship! Hopefuly, they have now been installed, or soon will be, on all the other HAL ships! It is a security feature so that one is able to see who is knocking on the door before opening it! :) (Now could the installation of "interactive" T.V.'s be the next innovation)!:rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I don't recall peep holes on any of the ships I've traveled. I actually remembering being surprised when I saw them in photos on the new Disney ship.

Could be poor memory, however. However, I just checked pictures of my cabin door from the Disney Wonder and don't see any peep holes. Unfortunately, I don't have door pictures from any other cabins to see if my memory is the issue or not.

I hear you there. I am only 5'2" so I can relate. I am going on the Maasdam in May so I can check them out. I get so angry when I go the the supermarket, department store or anywhere that the shelves are higher than I can reach or the product to pushed way back so I can not reach it. I feel so helpless having to ask someone to get it for me. Luckily my husband is 6 ft so he can easily reach things. He has no idea what it is like at my level.......

Maybe you can order two dozen lido trays from their storage room to stand on. LOL

Good points and I am surprised under ADA accommodation guidelines this would not also be made accessible to those in a wheel chair too if this is even a possible to look into this peephole from a wheelchair.

On a similar note after hearing Ruth C's complaint about the inaccessibility of the electrical outlet high above the sink area, I checked it out because I did not know it even existed.

It is designed to take the old same-sized plug prongs so if it could be reached by shorter people, it can't be used for most new dissimilar-sized pronged electrical appliances anyway. Net zero loss.

Be careful using that high outlet above the sink. Not only is it high up, but at least on the Maasdam the wording on the switch was in a light gold on a while background, so it is very difficult to read. I did not notice that the switch was in the 220 position and I burned up my electric razor (my fault for not checking of course) - just a word to the wise.

DaveOKC

I guess that you didn't hear that HAL hired Randy Newman as their new spokes person "Short People got no reason..." :D

IIRC the designated wheelchair accessible cabins have a 2nd lower peephole so the occupant can see out.

I think it's a recent law to have peep-holes on ships like in hotel rooms.

It's one of the provisions of the US Cruise Ship Safety and Security Act 2010. The cabins, including crew cabins, have to have a peephole fitted.

Peepholes are a good security feature and I am so glad HAL has seen fit to install them.

I realize with height diffences, some will say they are too high or too low for me but since we are not all of equal height that is something one will have to deal with.

And it's about time! The "peepholes" should have been installed during the construction of the ship! Hopefuly, they have now been installed, or soon will be, on all the other HAL ships! It is a security feature so that one is able to see who is knocking on the door before opening it! :) (Now could the installation of "interactive" T.V.'s be the next innovation)!:rolleyes:

I thik all HAL ships since the Zuiderdam were built with them, at least in the guest cabins. It is the older ships which needed them fitted to comply with the new law.

Agree with the interactive TV system - maybe one day it will be fitted!

quote]

The peepholes have been added to all cruiseship cabins as a result of recent changes by US Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) to it's cruiseline guidelines. ADA accommodation guidines only apply to the accessible cabins and not all cruiseline cabins. Therefore the cruiselines under ADA law and the recent DOT changes only requires peepholes to be at wheelchair height for accessible cabins only. Under the DOT changes the accessible cabins would have had 2 peepholes installed .... 1 wheelchair height and 1 for able bodies which has been the case in the accessible cabins I have recently been in.

Archived