Are There Any Good Lobster Bakes or Lobster Rest. To Do On Our Own??

LAFFNVEGAS

Hi, We will be doing New England/Canada on Holland America's MS Maasdam on July 9th. Both DH and I love lobster and want to be able to enjoy real Maine Lobster. Can anyone recommend a Lobster Bake or Restaurant we can go to in Bar Harbour or Portland Maine? The ship excursions seem expensive and some how I doubt they are as good as other that locals may know about. Just need some good suggestions.

Also would like some suggestions on other things to do. I see where there are Humpback Whales that time of the year, yet I do not see that the ship offers any excursions for Whales Watches.

Lobster isn't lobster unless you eat it outside at a picnic table with paper plates - lots of butter and lobster juice running down your arms.....that said unless you go to a sandwich shop in town all resturants serve lobster - (Normally McDonald's serves lobster rolls in the summer- although there are no McDonalds in Bar Harbor.) - Don't know about Portland.

There are some lobster pounds around, but I don't know how easy it will be to get to one, but I'll check for you.

My daughter is going with a friend to Las Vegas in June ... it will be her second time ... she always has a blast - as we did in years past - almost as much fun as cruising ... My husband's brother lives in Henderson ....

Jan

Jan in Maine is absolutely right. Look for the little "lobster shack" or "lobster pound" kind of places. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. In Bar Harbor itself, in my opinion (and I spend a lot of time in New England) the restaurants are a bit touristy and I don't think that they have the best lobster. There is a little place near where the tenders dock that has real, authentic, fresh Maine lobster and it is my favorite place there. When you exit the dock area, turn right to go along the street parallels the water. The place that I am thinking of is on the left hand side less than a block or two from the dock. It is white, I think, a kind of store front looking place and primarily a take-out. I think it may have one small table. It is maybe 20 feet wide (at most) and cooks its own lobster fresh (sorry that I cannot recall the name). There used to be an excellent (!) lobster place in Southwest Harbor but I haven't been back there for ten years so I don't even know if it is still there, but you'd need a car to get there in any event.

Also in Bar Harbor there are a couple of VERY good native craft stores and cooperatives (one of them in conjunction with a museum). Make sure to get to them; well worth it.

2. In Portland, there are several very good restaurants (but no lobster shacks or pounds) near the terminal. On Commercial St., for chowder, there is Gilbert's Chowder House. On Exchange St., there is Walter's (excellent sea food) and, farther up, Natasha's. You won't go wrong at either. On Fore St. (I think) there is a place called Street and Co. that may be the best restaurant in Portland (I don't know if it is open for lunch). The only lobster shack that is even close by is Two Lights Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth (8 or so miles) but it has been very mediocre, with small portions, on my last several vistis, so I wouldn't suggest trying to go out there.

Hope you have a very enjoyable stay in Maine.

We are leaving in a little while to spend a week in Southwest Harbor (right next to Bar Harbor on the quiet side of the island) - A J mentioned the museum - it is a whale museum (and other marine life) I really enjoyed going to it and the shop by the museum she mentioned has some very nice items. I am not familiar with the restaurant mentioned but will look when I'm there. I usually only got down 2-3 times in the summer (and only for board meetings) - but this time of the year it is wonderful - quiet, no traffic, most shops are closed, but the peace and beauty is there always. Enjoy! Jan

• 2 weeks later...

A J Theodore has got the right place in mind for lobster. I can't remember the name of it either but it's quite a tiny place (almost looks like a beach hut), they have 2 tables inside and just the one on the itsy bitsy verandah - but the lobster is TO DIE FOR.

We were there last October, but there is a whale watching company just off the pier where you dock. Have a look at www.barharborwhales.com we went with them last year and it was one of the best experiences of our lives (we had a humpback whale with her calf around the boat for about an hour and a half. This company is really professional.

RE DiMillo's in Portland... one of their best Lobster meals is their baked stuffed lobster that is ordered with the stuffing from another lobster! You can order it with the usual cracker crumb stuffing or for the extra $$ get the extra lobster stuffing. It's well worth it:D

RE DiMillo's in Portland... one of their best Lobster meals is their baked stuffed lobster that is ordered with the stuffing from another lobster! You can order it with the usual cracker crumb stuffing or for the extra $$ get the extra lobster stuffing. It's well worth it:D

That sounds really good! We are heading up to Maine next month for a few days---I will have to try that when we had to DiMillos.

Hello from Portland Maine!

Couldn't help but chime into this thread. There are a countless number of restaurants in Portland and it's surrounding cities/towns where you can get "wicked good lobstah". If you are looking for the "tourist" type experience, but in my opinion only mediocre food, than Dimillio's will be fine. If you want an inexpensive restaurant that the locals go to, and don't mind eating off disposable plates, than you want to go across the Portland/South Portland bridge to Captain Newicks. Any cab driver should know where it is, it's just across the bridge in South Portland. Also a few miles away down one of the main streets in Portland called Forest Ave. is a small seafood place called Susan's Fish and Chips. Not big on frills, you sit at picnic tables, but great food.

Most of the lobster pounds that are on Commercial Street (the street that you are on when you come off the ship) are found at the other end....way down..turn left when you come away from the pier and keep walking. I know they ship seafood most anywhere, and some of them may have lobster rolls, but this I am not absolutely sure of. Will check if anyone wants me to.

There is a small diner called Becky's Diner. Favorite spot of the local fisherman as well as business types to grab breakfast etc. I would be willing to bet they have lobster rolls on their lunch menu. They are way down on the left at the far end of Commercial St. as well.

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions if anyone would like me to.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to revisit my thread and have been reading.... oh my now I am extremely hungry.:D My question is how much??? I do not need anything fancy, paper plates are fine if it is good lobster. But then we sometimes like facy sunset dinners. Since we live in the desert and this will be a rare chance for us to have lots of fresh lobster I plan to eat it every chance we can.

Hi,

Newicks has a web page that lists some of their prices. Of course, the lobster is sold at "market price" so that can vary. The site is http://www.newicks.com This restaurant is definately NOT fancy and in my opinion the wall decor (last time I was there) sporting a "Sea" motif with things such as fishing nets and large fake fish is a little tacky, but you sure are not paying for atmosphere here.

Susans Fish and Chips won a local poll for "The Best Lobster Roll" and "The Best Fried Clams" last year. Again, a small place on one of Portlands main streets, so atmosphere is nill, but the food is fresh.

You will find fresh seafood anywhere and I doubt you will be disappointed wherever you go. The only thing that will vary is the price.

If by chance you are in Portland for a sunset, the best restaurants ( in my opinion) to watch it are in South Portland over the same bridge you use to go to Newicks except this time turn left once your over it. They are Joe's Boathouse and the other is The Saltwater Grille. Both have outdoor seating that allows for a very romantic sunset dinner with very good food. You can see both restaurants by looking at http://www.saltwatergrille.com/joe This will bring you to Joe's Boathouse. The link for Saltwater Grille is at this site. Of the two, my personal favorite is the Grille because you get a nice view of Portland from their porch. Both are situated on marina's and are good for lunch too.

O.K., enough babbling. If you want, I could send you a map of Portland that shows alot of the local vendors and restaurants that are on or near the waterfront. It may help you to plan your day.

Hooked

Hi' date='

Newicks has a web page that lists some of their prices. Of course, the lobster is sold at "market price" so that can vary. The site is www.newicks.com This restaurant is definately NOT fancy and in my opinion the wall decor (last time I was there) sporting a "Sea" motif with things such as fishing nets and large fake fish is a little tacky, but you sure are not paying for atmosphere here.

Susans Fish and Chips won a local poll for "The Best Lobster Roll" and "The Best Fried Clams" last year. Again, a small place on one of Portlands main streets, so atmosphere is nill, but the food is fresh.

You will find fresh seafood anywhere and I doubt you will be disappointed wherever you go. The only thing that will vary is the price.

If by chance you are in Portland for a sunset, the best restaurants ( in my opinion) to watch it are in South Portland over the same bridge you use to go to Newicks except this time turn left once your over it. They are Joe's Boathouse and the other is The Saltwater Grille. Both have outdoor seating that allows for a very romantic sunset dinner with very good food. You can see both restaurants by looking at www.saltwatergrille.com/joe This will bring you to Joe's Boathouse. The link for Saltwater Grille is at this site. Of the two, my personal favorite is the Grille because you get a nice view of Portland from their porch. Both are situated on marina's and are good for lunch too.

O.K., enough babbling. If you want, I could send you a map of Portland that shows alot of the local vendors and restaurants that are on or near the waterfront. It may help you to plan your day.

Hooked

Thanks for the great info. Oh My, I got hungry just looking at the links to the restaurants web pages. We will only be in Portland from ( in the morning till 5 I wish we could have both dinner and lunch there. But you can be we will be having a big lunch. This cruise is very port intensice with only one sea day. We usuallywill have breakfast on the ship then skip lunch. It is looking like we will see very few breakfasts on the ship and be eating lunch in port. We have not signed up to do any excursions just thought we would check out the towns and eat the great seafood we do not always get in Las Vegas. Although I have thought about doing a Whale Watch Excursion, Holland America does not offer any which surprises me.

Lisa,

Here is a website you can visit to learn more about Portland: www.visitportland.com. It is the convention and visitor's bureau site, lots of useful info. The chamber of commerce is www.portlandregion.com. Not as much tourist info but lots of other information.

Alas, I cannot help you in your quest for lobster, I do not like seafood at all :rolleyes:

What's up with a Maine gal not liking seafood anyway?!? LOL...The recommendations everyone else has made are terrific though, from what I hear. DiMillo's is a floating restaurant, an actual boat and is locally owned. This is very near the cruise terminal in Portland...perhaps an eighth of a mile.

A "don't miss" for many is the LLBean retail store, less than a 30 minute drive from Portland. If you want "deals" on Bean product there is a factory store on Congress Street in Portland (also a back entrance to the store on Free Street). This store has discontinued or returned items mostly, good pricing usually. This is not a smaller version of the retail store, so you won't have the true "Bean" experience if you're looking for it there.

If you're looking for a private tour in a small boat on the bay, there is a water taxi right next to the ferry terminal. You could even visit some islands. He can take up to 6 passangers. When we have wedding flowers to deliver to one of the islands we use them. If you're interested, let me know on either this board or the HAL board and I can provide you the phone number.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, I'd be happy to give you any info I can.

Erlene

• 3 weeks later...
If we take a taxi to Newick's, will it be easy to find one to take you back to the ship?

I think the restaurant would be happy to call one for you, I would ask when I was nearly done my meal if you want to go back immediately or if you wanted to linger a bit just call when you're ready to go. I would think you should be able to get a cab within 15-20 minutes of calling. Often times if you ask the cab driver to return for you at a specific time they will.

• 1 month later...

Any update on the Bar Harbor Lobster Pound options? My family and I used to head over to Young's Lobster Pound but its a little drive from Bar Harbor (Belfast, ME).

Has anyone heard anything about the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound? Its only a 20 minute drive from Bar Harbor...

http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/seafood.html

The Trenton bridge lobster pound is my very favorite! (sometimes it will take more than 20 minutes though, depending upon the traffic). I also like Beals which is in SW Harbor.

There had been a Young's restaurant in Belfast in the past (perhaps Chocolate Grille now) - I don't know about a lobster pound there (but I'm not that familar with restaurants in Belfast) - I think there is a Young's pound in Lincolnville Beach right next to the ferry - but I could be wrong - I go by both areas, but I seem to be driving lately with blinders on. Anyone else know?

I have very fond memories of the Trenton bridge lobster pound over the last 30 some odd years - many, many lobsters and clams eaten there. Enjoy! Jan

I agree with Jan in Maine. The Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is outstanding and, if you can get to it, well worth it if you are in Bar Harbor. If not, there is a little place near the pier in Bar Harbor (see my earlier post)

I also agree with the suggestion of Young's Lobster Pound in Lincolnville Beach, very close to the ferry terminal. It's the very best (it's maybe 20-30 minutes north of Camden on Route 1). Across the street from it is a little French restuarant (Chez Michelle ?) which is also very good - ask about the raspberry desserts.

We have a TV show in Boston called the Phantom Gourmet. They just did a show on lobster throughout NEngland. Check out the website, I am sure they will have tons of information for you.

www.phantomgourmet.com

dondonma

Yes, and it definitely had at least a few recommendations in Maine...I know for one the Ogunquit Lobster Pound was recommended.

Hello from Portland Maine!

Couldn't help but chime into this thread. There are a countless number of restaurants in Portland and it's surrounding cities/towns where you can get "wicked good lobstah". If you are looking for the "tourist" type experience' date=' but in my opinion only mediocre food, than Dimillio's will be fine. If you want an inexpensive restaurant that the locals go to, and don't mind eating off disposable plates, than you want to go across the Portland/South Portland bridge to Captain Newicks. Any cab driver should know where it is, it's just across the bridge in South Portland. Also a few miles away down one of the main streets in Portland called Forest Ave. is a small seafood place called Susan's Fish and Chips. Not big on frills, you sit at picnic tables, but great food.

Most of the lobster pounds that are on Commercial Street (the street that you are on when you come off the ship) are found at the other end....way down..turn left when you come away from the pier and keep walking. I know they ship seafood most anywhere, and some of them may have lobster rolls, but this I am not absolutely sure of. Will check if anyone wants me to.

There is a small diner called Becky's Diner. Favorite spot of the local fisherman as well as business types to grab breakfast etc. I would be willing to bet they have lobster rolls on their lunch menu. They are way down on the left at the far end of Commercial St. as well.

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions if anyone would like me to.

Hope this helps![/quote']

Dear 'Hooked" I have read that the 3.5 mile Back Cave Trail is very good for seeing the fall colors...also Portland Head lighthouse is a highlight? If you only had 1 day in your fair city what would you do? Thanks for any help! LuAnn (first time to this neck of the woods!!!!)

Portland Trails is the organization that maintains and develops the trails in Portland. No 2 on the map is the trail as you walk off the ship. Follow that one until around the Eastern Promenade. Climb the hill to the park and you have a magnificent view of Casco Bay and the Islands. Very spectacular when trees are in full color. If you follow Eastern Promenade Rd to the west, on a clear day you will be able to see Mt Washington and the White Mountains. You will also have a great view of Back Cove and the city. Trail 1 on the map is Back Cove Trail.

Portland Trails is the organization that maintains and develops the trails in Portland. No 2 on the map is the trail as you walk off the ship. Follow that one until around the Eastern Promenade. Climb the hill to the park and you have a magnificent view of Casco Bay and the Islands. Very spectacular when trees are in full color. If you follow Eastern Promenade Rd to the west, on a clear day you will be able to see Mt Washington and the White Mountains. You will also have a great view of Back Cove and the city. Trail 1 on the map is Back Cove Trail.

We haven't done that yet...sounds beautiful. Will be doing it the next time we are around Portland!

Thanks!

Archived