Seated next to ceo mark conroy

2old4this

My number one reason is the smaller ships followed by not being nickel and dimed to death!

I have been on Seabourn twice and found them to be just a notch above Regent.

However, we did book a cruise two weeks ago when we were on a cruise and we are going to book another one this week; both with Regent--my first love.

I'll keep this positive and not say I really really really wish the "free" excursions would go away.

Thank you for your comments. I do hope that you understand that my negativity was always aimed at corporate -- never at the ships or the crew.

We booked three cruises on board that we are looking forward to. Sadly, we will also be cancelling two of the cruises we are currently booked on. Hopefully we will be Platinum in mid-2013 and can enjoy the wonderful benefits that you already enjoy.

Which cruise did you keep--Alaska May 2013 I hope.

My number one reason is the smaller ships followed by not being nickel and dimed to death!

I have been on Seabourn twice and found them to be just a notch above Regent.

However, we did book a cruise two weeks ago when we were on a cruise and we are going to book another one this week; both with Regent--my first love.

I'll keep this positive and not say I really really really wish the "free" excursions would go away.

Based on my readings of this thread's comments, purpleally, I sense that the majority of us like the small ships, are pleased with paying for everything before we leave, and being able to depart the ships without leaving a trail of credit card signatures. What I would have thought to be a solid plus, also, but turns out not to be for most of us, are the 'included' excursions. More than a few of us have wished them away and in the strongest of terms.

Imagine for the moment Regent's 'included' excursions have been stopped and the selected cruise (for this example of mine) calls on 5 or 6 ports which you have never visited before. I ask you to weigh the benefits that come with having Regent locate excursions for each of these ports, rate them for levels of difficulty, arrange for them to be dockside and waiting, and then take care of all the tariffs, tipping, and other charges that go with such foreign transactions. Could it be that the 'included' excursions are actually beneficial, a quality of travel service that most of us are not use to, and that the whole issue of 'included' excursions might be reexamined for this service which Regent now provides?

I'm really open for discussion on the subject of 'included' excursions. I, too, have mixed emotions about them but I sign on for them when I go with Regent. Jack Morris

I'm really open for discussion on the subject of 'included' excursions. I, too, have mixed emotions about them but I sign on for them when I go with Regent. Jack Morris

You bring up many good points! I have been against included excursions since they were introduced. However, during our Middle East cruise this month, I really appreciated the included excursions. For me, it goes back to wanting the option to "opt out". I have no clue how much extra we pay for included excursions in our cruise fare. Whatever it is, I would prefer not to pay for them in most of the itineraries we sail as we have "been there -- done that". On the other side of the coin, we would be happy to pay a set fee -- above the cost of our cruise fare for included excursions in some ports.

jhp, I am surprised that you have found it a "challenge, to say the least," to tolerate negative posts. Do you find them threatening? I learn from negative posts. I don't have to agree with them to learn from them. And I find them interesting and entertaining. I don't want this board to be a cheerleading section for Regent. I want candid opinions. The good, the bad, the ugly, the absurd. I am quite able to differentiate. There exists a say no evil board. You can indulge over there. But lets keep things candid and honest here on CC.

Several interesting points (to me anyway!) have been raised since I last read this thread!

1 - Jackie, you say you are eager to move up to Platinum level - and I suppose you are now Gold? I was looking at the levels the other day and saw that the main difference between Gold and Platinum seemed to be (a) free laundry and pressing and (b) more phone time. I don't see that this makes the jump from Gold to Platinum (we are Gold) a target for us! What IS a target is spending more time on Regent ships being pampered!!

2. The debate re included drinks and excursions baffles me too. Ken and I both drink - can't live where we do if we didn't!! - but the main thing about the policy that I really like is not the unlimited alcohol since everyone has a limit anyway and I have yet to see a Regent passenger drunk, but the wonderful feeling of being "at home" it gives when you do not need to sign for each drink and then mentally calculate your end-of-cruise bill. As far as excursions go we live in Europe and I can be in Liguria or the Còte d'Azur in about a 4 hr drive so we know the ports in this region pretty well. We have also travelled widely to other parts of Europe, Asia and Africa so many times the included excursions are not for us. But I love the fact that I can pick and choose and take something that appeals without, again, having it tacked onto my bill! I do not resent the fact that some of the money I pay is used by others who either drink more than I do or take excursions more than I do simply because I put a high premium on feeling totally free to do what I want! And in the end, Regent for those of us who cruise a lot with them is not at all unreasonable when it comes to cost.

Several interesting points (to me anyway!) have been raised since I last read this thread!

1 - Jackie, you say you are eager to move up to Platinum level - and I suppose you are now Gold? I was looking at the levels the other day and saw that the main difference between Gold and Platinum seemed to be (a) free laundry and pressing and (b) more phone time. I don't see that this makes the jump from Gold to Platinum (we are Gold) a target for us!

Hi Gerry, so you noticed I suddenly was eager to move up to Platinum level:). Yes we are Gold (124 nights) and had no thoughts at all about becoming Platinum until the double loyalty nights were announced on our cruise this month. We already had a 10 night cruise booked, planned to book a 12 night cruise and to cancel a booking and book something else. To make a long story short, by adding the 12 night cruise (giving us 24 nights) and a 18 night cruise (36 nights), we were suddenly within 6 nights of become Platinum. At that point I suppose I went a little overboard and booked a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise -- just for the nights. Being on the ship, having fun. . . . just couldn't resist going for Platinum. Laundry will be nice -- don't really need the phone time, but will appreciate being able to deviate once without a charge. Still have to wait until May, 2013 for this to happen and hope that Regent doesn't change the days required to reach each level.

I do understand your feelings about excursions and alcohol, but I put excursions in a different category. Most luxury cruise lines include alcohol, and tips. Some include airfare - not necessarily on all itineraries. Regent is the only luxury cruise line that offers excursions. As I said, the excursions are growing on me a bit -- now that they are being handled properly. On our next cruise we're doing most excursions that have a cost -- to see if the overall experience is better (we did not find that to be the case on our last cruise -- the included ones were the same caliber as the ones we paid for).

....The debate re included drinks and excursions baffles me too. Ken and I both drink - can't live where we do if we didn't!! - but the main thing about the policy that I really like is not the unlimited alcohol since everyone has a limit anyway and I have yet to see a Regent passenger drunk, but the wonderful feeling of being "at home" it gives when you do not need to sign for each drink and then mentally calculate your end-of-cruise bill....

Ken and Jerry --

Once again you bring so much wise counsel to this board. The inlcuded beverages certainly make Regent cruising an "at home experience." One doesn't have any hesitation drawing up a chair to join another couple or large group...and then have that confusing moment on how to pay the check. How many and what drinks did each person have over the past hour or so? Who didn't? Etc. The social atmosphere is so much better and expecially on longer cruises people meet so many other people.

As far as excursions...I like them being included. With the long time between final payment and the actual cruise, once you'vre decided to go, and everything has basically been paid up front, one doesn't have to concern themself with what costs what. That money has already been spent...just relax and enjoy.

Thank you for your comments. I do hope that you understand that my negativity was always aimed at corporate -- never at the ships or the crew.

We booked three cruises on board that we are looking forward to. Sadly, we will also be cancelling two of the cruises we are currently booked on. Hopefully we will be Platinum in mid-2013 and can enjoy the wonderful benefits that you already enjoy.

Jackie, shoud I remove you and Dennis from the Mariner crossing roll call? How about Bangkok to Bombay?

Marc

....The debate re included drinks and excursions baffles me too. Ken and I both drink - can't live where we do if we didn't!! - but the main thing about the policy that I really like is not the unlimited alcohol since everyone has a limit anyway and I have yet to see a Regent passenger drunk, but the wonderful feeling of being "at home" it gives when you do not need to sign for each drink and then mentally calculate your end-of-cruise bill....

Ken and Jerry --

Once again you bring so much wise counsel to this board. The inlcuded beverages certainly make Regent cruising an "at home experience." One doesn't have any hesitation drawing up a chair to join another couple or large group...and then have that confusing moment on how to pay the check. How many and what drinks did each person have over the past hour or so? Who didn't? Etc. The social atmosphere is so much better and expecially on longer cruises people meet so many other people.

As far as excursions...I like them being included. With the long time between final payment and the actual cruise, once you'vre decided to go, and everything has basically been paid up front, one doesn't have to concern themself with what costs what. That money has already been spent...just relax and enjoy.

A clearly stated position on why you you enjoy the open bar and the excursions. I am assuming if you were seated next to CEO Mark you'd say it in the same words. Which means,for you, Regent's program of drinks and excursions works just fine and you want them to continue. I had not thought of the open bar as an open house, so-to-speak, where travelers can join whatever is happening socially without the burden of taking turns buying the rounds.

As for excursions you're all for them as they are. By buying and choosing months ahead of cruising, the night before the excursion selection effort we have done on other lines is settled over the kitchen table at home. All that's left to do is to go and enjoy. Sounds like the making of a real nice vacation.

Maybe Mark's grand scheme of open bars and prepaid excursions is not all that bad after all. Jack Morris

"Marq" -- yes, please remove me from both Roll Calls. Thanks!

"2oldforthis" - just wondering if you were sailing Regent prior to "included excursions"? When they were added, unlike over-imbibing in alcohol, passengers started to overbook excursions because they are included. Many do not cancel. If I wrote multiple posts, I could not express how much better excursions were before they became included. In general, included excursions are embraced by almost all passengers who sailed Regent for the first time within the past two years. For many of us, included excursions has been a difficult pill to swallow. It is only recently that excursions have become more organized and there is not line trying to get off the ship that resembled a cattle call. IMO, the only good thing about included excursions is that Regent has managed to get many newbies to try Regent by competing pricewise with mainstream and premium cruise lines.

I'm booked for the 12th April cruise on Mariner; I am completely new to cruising and seldom go outside the UK.

I have no problem with "pay as you go" in principle because I would simply set a budget which would be sufficient to cover everything and then a bit more. If I ended up spending less, then so much the better but I wouldn't be bothered if I spent the entire budget.

The problem I found when researching a suitable cruise was that with most cruise lines, it's very difficult to work out the total cost of the cruise and I get the idea that one gets hassled to spend all the time quite apart from the aggravation of having to sign for everything making for a less relaxed environment.

With Regent it all looks so easy and it and it seems likely to me that the all included approach leads to a more laid back environment.

As regards the excursions, that suits me because I haven't been to any of the places so I'm expecting the excursions to provide me with an introduction. On one day I'm not doing an excursion and I'm not bothered that It could be argued that I'm paying for something I'm not getting: after all I don't have to eat until I pop or drink myself into insensibillity just because it's all paid for!

Maybe the included excursions are best for a "newbie" but something more bespoke would be appropriate for the more experienced.

It seems to me (although admittedly I have no experience of cruising) that most cruise lines charge a lower fare and then screw you for everything once you're on board whereas Regent charge a sensible price based on what the needs of the "average cruiser"

I'm booked for the 12th April cruise on Mariner; I am completely new to cruising and seldom go outside the UK.

I have no problem with "pay as you go" in principle because I would simply set a budget which would be sufficient to cover everything and then a bit more. If I ended up spending less, then so much the better but I wouldn't be bothered if I spent the entire budget.

The problem I found when researching a suitable cruise was that with most cruise lines, it's very difficult to work out the total cost of the cruise and I get the idea that one gets hassled to spend all the time quite apart from the aggravation of having to sign for everything making for a less relaxed environment.

With Regent it all looks so easy and it and it seems likely to me that the all included approach leads to a more laid back environment.

As regards the excursions, that suits me because I haven't been to any of the places so I'm expecting the excursions to provide me with an introduction. On one day I'm not doing an excursion and I'm not bothered that It could be argued that I'm paying for something I'm not getting: after all I don't have to eat until I pop or drink myself into insensibillity just because it's all paid for!

Maybe the included excursions are best for a "newbie" but something more bespoke would be appropriate for the more experienced.

It seems to me (although admittedly I have no experience of cruising) that most cruise lines charge a lower fare and then screw you for everything once you're on board whereas Regent charge a sensible price based on what the needs of the "average cruiser"

For a first timer at cruising, Swyre, you have it figured out and with a great deal of accuracy. Congratulations! Happy New Year . . . Jack Morris

"Marq" -- yes, please remove me from both Roll Calls. Thanks!

"2oldforthis" - just wondering if you were sailing Regent prior to "included excursions"? When they were added, unlike over-imbibing in alcohol, passengers started to overbook excursions because they are included. Many do not cancel. If I wrote multiple posts, I could not express how much better excursions were before they became included. In general, included excursions are embraced by almost all passengers who sailed Regent for the first time within the past two years. For many of us, included excursions has been a difficult pill to swallow. It is only recently that excursions have become more organized and there is not line trying to get off the ship that resembled a cattle call. IMO, the only good thing about included excursions is that Regent has managed to get many newbies to try Regent by competing pricewise with mainstream and premium cruise lines.

You have me pegged correctly, Travelcat2. April 3 will be my second cruise with Regent. The first last January was to Guatemala on Mariner. I loved it! I LOVED IT. Sold me on Regent 2 days out. See two of my web sites regarding that trip below.

(Belize) http://awesome.webplus.net/BelizeZipline)

(Guatemala) http://awesome.webplus.net/Eyeglasses/index.html

I have no concept at all of the way excursions were conduced by Regent in past years. I hope that you will give some detail behind your position that seems to be 'it was better back then'. Happy New Year! Jack Morris

You have me pegged correctly, Travelcat2. April 3 will be my second cruise with Regent. The first last January was to Guatemala on Mariner. I loved it! I LOVED IT. Sold me on Regent 2 days out. See two of my web sites regarding that trip below.

(Belize) http://awesome.webplus.net/BelizeZipline)

(Guatemala) http://awesome.webplus.net/Eyeglasses/index.html

I have no concept at all of the way excursions were conduced by Regent in past years. I hope that you will give some detail behind your position that seems to be 'it was better back then'. Happy New Year! Jack Morris

Thank you for the links. Your eyeglass program is awesome and it's wonderful how the Regent crew jumped in to be part of it. I can not say enough about all the incredible men and women who work on Regent ships. We also love sailing with Regent (just completed our 11th cruise with 4 more booked).

I'll try to make this explanation brief. Before included excursions:

1. Regent groups on tours were small (in most cases) and did not come close to filling a bus. We were on some excursions (ziplining in Alaska for instance) with only a dozen other passengers. This makes the experience easier from many perspectives.

2. At tender ports, those of us who did not book an excursion did not have to wait to board the tender until most of the ship disembarked.

3. Passengers booked excursions that they were really interested in. Very few last minute cancellations (not sure if you had to pay for the tour if you did not show up).

With included excursions, it seems that at least 600 out of 700 passengers (or 400 out of 490 on the Navigator) sign up for multiple excursions -- sometimes two in the same day. Some show up on time ready to go -- some cancel in advance -- some cancel the last minute and some just don't show up.

It is not surprising that Destination Services can't keep up with everything. BTW, I was told on the Voyager last month that the Destination Services team was cut by one person after the included excursions went into effect. On our last cruise, we were booked on one excursion at a time we didn't care for so they waitlisted us on two other times. When we got on board we had three sets of tickets. Also on our December cruise, the Assistant Cruise Director was helping Destination Services (really helped to have him) to keep things straight in terms of the different bus number groups getting off of the ship.

Although there is a limit (according to the tour guides) of 30 Regent passengers on a bus, there were times (earlier in 2011) that multiple busloads showed up at the same place at the same time. One passenger was told that it would take 2-3 hours before she would be able to do the helmut-diving she was in line for. This, IMO, is unacceptable.

On a more positive note, as I mentioned in my review of our December Voyager cruise, there is a major improvement in how excursions are being handled. For instance, instead of 4 buses showing up at the same place at the same time, they change the excursion itinerary so this does happen. The only downside to that was not having lunch on two excursions until 2:30 p.m. when we left the ship before 8:00 a.m. But, at least they are working on it.

Well, guess I did explain that "briefly". Sorry;) Have a very Happy New year and enjoy your April cruise!

3. Very few last minute cancellations (not sure if you had to pay for the tour if you did not show up).

As I recall, you could cancel without payment up to 24 hours before the excursion time. Thus if you did not show up you were billed for the excursion.

Good summary, Jackie! And my experience (in a previous incarnation, ie prior to retirement) makes me value your point about multiple signups, then no shows, very highly. Perhaps there should be a 100% charge for people who either cancel minutes before - or within 24hours I would think - or simply do not go on the excursion. Dest. Services must be going mad trying to even out the numbers on the buses, and also trying not to have too many buses on hand.

I know I had to cancel a tour, literally on the morning of the tour, because I was ill. There was no penalty. (Jan '11).

Personally I think Dest. Services does a basically good job, made difficult by the whims of passengers AND perhaps the fact that they are understaffed. They need a "Customer Service" person who can man the desk even when tours are operating...

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the links. Your eyeglass program is awesome and it's wonderful how the Regent crew jumped in to be part of it. I can not say enough about all the incredible men and women who work on Regent ships. We also love sailing with Regent (just completed our 11th cruise with 4 more booked).

I'll try to make this explanation brief. Before included excursions:

1. Regent groups on tours were small (in most cases) and did not come close to filling a bus. We were on some excursions (ziplining in Alaska for instance) with only a dozen other passengers. This makes the experience easier from many perspectives.

2. At tender ports, those of us who did not book an excursion did not have to wait to board the tender until most of the ship disembarked.

3. Passengers booked excursions that they were really interested in. Very few last minute cancellations (not sure if you had to pay for the tour if you did not show up).

With included excursions, it seems that at least 600 out of 700 passengers (or 400 out of 490 on the Navigator) sign up for multiple excursions -- sometimes two in the same day. Some show up on time ready to go -- some cancel in advance -- some cancel the last minute and some just don't show up.

It is not surprising that Destination Services can't keep up with everything. BTW, I was told on the Voyager last month that the Destination Services team was cut by one person after the included excursions went into effect. On our last cruise, we were booked on one excursion at a time we didn't care for so they waitlisted us on two other times. When we got on board we had three sets of tickets. Also on our December cruise, the Assistant Cruise Director was helping Destination Services (really helped to have him) to keep things straight in terms of the different bus number groups getting off of the ship.

Although there is a limit (according to the tour guides) of 30 Regent passengers on a bus, there were times (earlier in 2011) that multiple busloads showed up at the same place at the same time. One passenger was told that it would take 2-3 hours before she would be able to do the helmut-diving she was in line for. This, IMO, is unacceptable.

On a more positive note, as I mentioned in my review of our December Voyager cruise, there is a major improvement in how excursions are being handled. For instance, instead of 4 buses showing up at the same place at the same time, they change the excursion itinerary so this does happen. The only downside to that was not having lunch on two excursions until 2:30 p.m. when we left the ship before 8:00 a.m. But, at least they are working on it.

Well, guess I did explain that "briefly". Sorry;) Have a very Happy New year and enjoy your April cruise!

Travelcat2 - According to our international headquarters for Lions International, Freda and I were the first Lions to combine our cruising with the delivery of eye glasses outside the United States. I am sure others have done that but they just didn't toot their horns like my wife and me. I believe in broadcasting such assistance since it tends to encourage people to donate their glasses and hearing aids to Lions Clubs across the country. Without news of such things, people wishing to contribute don't know what to do with them. Besides personal deliveries as with cruise ships, we also ship them at club expense to Lions hosting eye clinics all over the world. We won't be dragging glasses with us on our April cruise. The Lions clubs on these port calls have never requested assistance.

As for the question of excursions and drop outs, from my limited one cruise experience with Regent, I would say the last minute 'no-shows' are probably few in number and of little consequence. When we parasailed on the Keys the vendor had a paper list of passenger names which he called out. Two were missing and we waited only a few minutes before the vendor led us to the waiting powerboat. It was a 'ho-hum' thing with him as if 'no-shows' was no big deal and he knew how long to wait before departure according to arrangements with Regent. My guess is Regent has contracts with all its excursion vendors in which they clearly stipulate base figures (minimum and maximum) for passenger numbers and 'no-shows' within the agreed figure range have been carefully calculated. In the parasail excursion at the Keys, we had 10 guests and 2 guests missing. Regent probably guaranteed to fill the powerboat whether with 6 people or 12; the important aspect of this is that the vendor went out and back as per contract. Regent likely gave no thought to the 'no-shows'. Jack Morris

Interesting discussion Jack and Jackie. BTW Jack, a wonderful service you and the Lions provide. I have yet to sail on Regent with included excursions, but in its prior configuration, Jackie has it right on. The efficiency, convenience and size of what you paid for was terrific. The same is true of SS. I don't know if certain destinations were added or deleted by Regent because of the change in financing but we are pleased by the SE Asia choices we expect to have. My minor complaint is that some of the best trips still have an up-charge. We will happily pay it and hope it keeps the numbers down.

I agree Jackie, this must be driving the desk crazy; and I resent those who take advantage of the policy.

Interesting discussion Jack and Jackie. BTW Jack, a wonderful service you and the Lions provide. I have yet to sail on Regent with included excursions, but in its prior configuration, Jackie has it right on. The efficiency, convenience and size of what you paid for was terrific. The same is true of SS. I don't know if certain destinations were added or deleted by Regent because of the change in financing but we are pleased by the SE Asia choices we expect to have. My minor complaint is that some of the best trips still have an up-charge. We will happily pay it and hope it keeps the numbers down.

I agree Jackie, this must be driving the desk crazy; and I resent those who take advantage of the policy.

Thanks for the compliment, newlondon, always nice to read such things. I had read about Lions and their community services when I was still a young working man. One day I went to a nearby Lions clubhouse and was invited in for lunch. I've been a Lions member ever since (1980). One of the systems we Lions have developed for the processing of our used and donated eyeglasses takes place at California's infamous prison, Folsom. One of our innovative Lions members visited the prison's warden and requested he allow some inmates to clean and repair eyeglasses. The warden saw that working with eyeglasses would give the selected inmates access to new skills and, when released, possible work for them on the outside. A million eyeglasses have passed through inmate hands ever since which keeps the cost of their repair for we Lions at near zero. The inmates, meanwhile, on release, have all found work in the community eyeglass industry and none of them have ever returned to a California jail or prison. Donate your used eyeglasses to a local Lions Club. A villager somewhere will be wearing them next and, thanks to you, can see her grand kids much more clearly. Jack Morris

Jack, Your post makes the story even better. No recidivism among the prisoners that work in your program-hard to believe,but if true WOW. I have not seen Folsom, but my son lives in Mill Valley, CA and we have passed San Quentin many times. I must admit if any program would help me on the outside I'ld try to be first in line. What a scary place:eek:

Jack, Your post makes the story even better. No recidivism among the prisoners that work in your program-hard to believe,but if true WOW. I have not seen Folsom, but my son lives in Mill Valley, CA and we have passed San Quentin many times. I must admit if any program would help me on the outside I'ld try to be first in line. What a scary place:eek:

Over the years, our Lions eyeglass program, Folsom Project for the Visually Impaired, has kept track of each of the released inmates after they departed on parole. Each went out with a waiting job in the eyeglass industry and none have returned to crime. The Folsom warden continues to be very impressed with the results on his parolees and he has increased the number of inmates allowed to participate. In recent years the Folsom Project added Braille reading to eyeglass repair and inmates have stepped up to learn the setting of music and also of math to Braille - not easily done but we now have two convicts who are certified by the Library of Congress as experts in this specialty. Their task each day is to convert paper music sheets and complicated math problems to Braille - and eyesight issue for which we Lions are strongly committed. These two inmates have jobs waiting them but neither have parole dates anywhere in sight.

We have really left the focus of this thread. I apologize to the member who brought us together on another topic. Jack Morris

Archived