Blackberry in cabin safe problems?

Snostar

Has anyone had a problem with their Blackberry after putting in a cabin safe?

I don't usually put it in room safes, but for some reason my last night in Cancun last year I threw it in the hotel safe.....in the morning it was useless!...MAGNITIZED:(

Nope, have put the girls Blackberry in the safe plenty of times, my HTC to...Never had an issue.

I don't really see how the safe could destroy your smart phone...as it’s practically a Faraday’s cage that should protect whatevers inside against outside electromagnetic radiation (except for natural and extremely large magnetic fields) and external static and non static electrical fields.

Nope, have put the girls Blackberry in the safe plenty of times, my HTC to...Never had an issue.

I don't really see how the safe could destroy your smart phone...as it’s practically a Faraday’s cage that should protect whatevers inside against outside electromagnetic radiation (except for natural and extremely large magnetic fields) and external static and non static electrical fields.

I agree, I think the OP was jumping to a conclusion, more likely it just chose that moment to fail. (did the phone start attracting paperclips?) My droid was fine all week in the safe on Allure.

I don't usually put it in room safes, but for some reason my last night in Cancun last year I threw it in the hotel safe.....in the morning it was useless!...MAGNITIZED:(

Wow! How interesting. Well, maybe not interesting for you...more like frustrating. I've put my phone in the safe in our cabin on board every time we've sailed with no ill effects.

Just curious. Was there any way to correct this or did you have to purchase a new phone?

I agree, I think the OP was jumping to a conclusion, more likely it just chose that moment to fail. (did the phone start attracting paperclips?) My droid was fine all week in the safe on Allure.

Actually I wasn't jumping to a conculsion, I found out from the safe manufacturer the safe used nyodemium magnets in the area where the door connects. The hotel was a bit on the older side. Those specific types of magnets can damage all types of electronic devices. Verizon had no other explanation for it's complete lack of response. I had insurance, it was covered.

Glad to hear no one else has experienced on board RCCL.

Funny you should ask this about a blackberry. We've never had our room safe "fry" any of our phones, but once we had to pull the battery and reinsert on a blackberry when we got back to Fort Lauderdale. It's an older model, and we thought it was just sorry to be back on shore.:) Started right up with a reboot. Good luck!

Put my Blackberry and other cel in the safe.. no problems... but

Both our ship Sea Pass cards were demagnetized on the same day. We dont keep them in our wallets to rub against other cards and they did not work the very next morning after sitting in the safe that night... things that make you say hmmmmm.....

Put my Blackberry and other cel in the safe.. no problems... but

Both our ship Sea Pass cards were demagnetized on the same day. We dont keep them in our wallets to rub against other cards and they did not work the very next morning after sitting in the safe that night... things that make you say hmmmmm.....

I would rather blame the proximity to your cellphones than sitting inside the safe for demagnetizing your seapass cards.

On a side note and I know this is going OT but I would never put my seapass card in the safe. With the seapass card being your room key as well it should be always ready to be grabbed in case you need to get out of your cabin quickly in case of an emergency, but of course never leave your cabin without it.

I was actually thinking the same thing....why would you have your sea pass cards in the safe? Usually we only put our cash and credit cards in the safe, we keep our electronics, such as phones, laptops, cameras, and ipods out or in a drawer. The only reason I put my iPad in the safe is because it's small enough for someone to easily walk off with, brand new, worth $1000 to replace and it fit in the safe...and I only put it in the safe when we left the ship on port days, otherwise I left it out or in a drawer. Probably being a little paranoid because we have never had anything taken from our cabin on any of our many cruises.

Actually I wasn't jumping to a conculsion, I found out from the safe manufacturer the safe used nyodemium magnets in the area where the door connects. The hotel was a bit on the older side. Those specific types of magnets can damage all types of electronic devices. Verizon had no other explanation for it's complete lack of response. I had insurance, it was covered.

Sounds like you got more of an education about specific types of magnets than you wanted to know. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe a safe isn't the safest! :D

Well, since my degree is in Electronic Engineering my knowledge may be a little better than the Customer Service reps of the Safe Mfg. I can see magnetic fields causing temporary distortions in the display, or to the sound quality, but I'm assuming the phone was probably off while in the safe and your weren't using it in there :D. I cam imagine, that the safe uses electro magnets when the door locks and unlocks, but I doubt its enough to disturb the device, especially when its off, assuming you turned it off to safe battery while on board, but that maybe too much of an assumption. Do you have any evidence to support the magnetized diaganosis, what were the symptoms?

Zero issues with blackberry in the safe.

Last year I put my Blackberry in the cabin safe while it was turned on and when I got back to home port it would not work. Had to remove the battery and reboot it. This year I turned it off before I put it in the safe and had no problems at all.

Archived