Happy hanukah!

cruise kitty

I'm not Jewish, so I'm not familiar with the foods being mentioned, but they sound amazing, I just might surprise DH with some thing new!

Latkas are wonderful for everyone:D.......my friends who are not Jewish

just call them potatoe pancakes;)

Beef brisket with potatoes, carrots and onions were always what my

Mom cooked for holiday dinner....all the scents are alive in my mind.

Latkas are wonderful for everyone:D.......my friends who are not Jewish

just call them potatoe pancakes;)

Beef brisket with potatoes, carrots and onions were always what my

Mom cooked for holiday dinner....all the scents are alive in my mind.

Isn't it funny how food & scents are what really make a holiday? For me, it's the smell of cinammon pinecones & gingerbread! Mom always made ambrosia salad, this year she didn't, (we did an early Christmas get together) she thought that no one would miss it because we always teased her about it, but it wasn't the same without it.

Going to try & make the latkas, I've seen box mixes in the store, but I think I'll try it from scratch.

Cruise Kitty, don't make the mix. Having said that, I have a Passover recipe for potato/ broccoli kugel (pudding) that is a big hit. I buy the low sodium pancake mix (one of the Kosher makes), I process a thawed package of frozen broccoli. If you are interested, I will post the recipe.

Auntie Karyn, will you share your brisket recipe?

And...biggest question..does it fall apart when you slice it? I refrigerate it, skim the fat and slice the next day. Maybe I'm just sloppy! So now I make a turkey or veal roll, both of which I find easier to slice.

By the way, I love the scents of Christmas. Last week, at the market, they were selling Xmas trees. OOH, so good. When the man asked it I wanted to buy one, I said I just wanted to smell them!

We have to watch our sodium around here, so the packaged onion soup is history. Even the "low sodium" stuff has too many laboratory ingredients.

I sprinkle the meat with granulated garlic, black pepper, thyme and marjoram and throw in a couple of bay leaves. Then I cover the brisket with sliced fresh onions (2 big ones).

The braising liquid is made with water, Heinz ketchup, dry red wine and a spoonful of cider vinegar. I either do it in the slow cooker or, this time, with such a big one, I wrapped it in foil and put it into a 250° over for about 6 hours. When the fork sinks into the meat like it would sink into soft butter, it's done.

I always make it a day ahead of time so I can skim the fat from the liquid and slice the brisket when it is cold. It slices so much better when cold.

I reheat it in the slow cooker for an hour or so with the liquid and the onions. Sometimes I adjust the braising liquid with more ketchup if it needs it. Salt is on the table, not in the food.

I'm not bragging, but no one ever complains. ;)

We have to watch our sodium around here, so the packaged onion soup is history. Even the "low sodium" stuff has too many laboratory ingredients.

I sprinkle the meat with granulated garlic, black pepper, thyme and marjoram and throw in a couple of bay leaves. Then I cover the brisket with sliced fresh onions (2 big ones).

The braising liquid is made with water, Heinz ketchup, dry red wine and a spoonful of cider vinegar. I either do it in the slow cooker or, this time, with such a big one, I wrapped it in foil and put it into a 250° over for about 6 hours. When the fork sinks into the meat like it would sink into soft butter, it's done.

I always make it a day ahead of time so I can skim the fat from the liquid and slice the brisket when it is cold. It slices so much better when cold.

I reheat it in the slow cooker for an hour or so with the liquid and the onions. Sometimes I adjust the braising liquid with more ketchup if it needs it. Salt is on the table, not in the food.

I'm not bragging, but no one ever complains. ;)

Yours sounds yummy, too!

Archived