How long should dinner service take ?

hbrote

Lonely? I'm with DW. We cruise to be togeather, not to chitchat with waitstaff we'll never see again. Both being professionals who work 50+ hours a week, vacation time is to valueable to use to waste making smalltalk with Merle the used car dealer from Houston. To each his own I guess, but for us it it wasn't for ATD, we'd still be cruising NCL.

We're the same, we like to do ATD on a 2-top. We have no desire to make small talk at dinner. I actually would be okay with it for 1-2 nights, but for the most part, I like to just enjoy my husband's company.

On the Legend earlier this month, we averaged around 60-90 minutes depending on how busy they were. It was actually perfect for us. We never felt rushed or felt things moved slow.

It depends on your dinnermates. If I like them I like to enjoy the food and the small talk, if I don't enjoy the people that we dine with then I want to enjoy the food then leave.

@toby. So far we've never had table-mates that we "don't enjoy". Old, young, kids, no kids, wealthy, scraping by, talkative, quiet, newbie cruisers, or seasoned ones. It's never mattered and we've always found that we can learn something new, share a laugh, or enjoy the time with others. Some table-mates and even crew members we keep in touch with and even cruise with on later sailings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never sat at a dinner table for more than 90 minutes tops. I don't know what I would do if it took 2 hours. Good god, I don't like talking to people that's way to much time. Of course, I'm only 26 so I guess it's an older thing sitting around chatting. Not that interested in what you've done for the day, to be honest.

They are all doing it wrong, lol

Well "Doll", If I only work 40 hours I will get behind because they have cut back on hiring people and expect fewer of us to get our job done plus that of the people they are not replacing. It's called doing your job!

I've never sat at a dinner table for more than 90 minutes tops. I don't know what I would do if it took 2 hours. Good god, I don't like talking to people that's way to much time. Of course, I'm only 26 so I guess it's an older thing sitting around chatting. Not that interested in what you've done for the day, to be honest.

*LOL*

When I was a kid and my grandparents were still living EVERY Sunday til I was 15 or so the whole family got together and sat at that dining room table for HOURS.....I mean HOURS!!!!!!!!

Granted the food was out of this world , but you had to sit at that damn table in a straight back chair for 100 courses . Of course my dad and uncles had the end of the table that looked into the living room so they could watch the ball game on TV . But it was just endless .

And it never occured to anyone to go sit in the living room on nice soft comfortable chairs and love seats and couches .

Lingering at a dinner table hasn't held much appeal to me ever since.

I don't work in the corporate world at all, it's modern day slavery.

PS.. I used to work those types of positions. Then I got smart. I figured out what aspects of my life are really important and then sought out a position that allowed me to life I wanted to live. I work to live, I don't work to live.

Huh? Whaaat? Don't live to work, maybe? :rolleyes:

I don't work in the corporate world at all, it's modern day slavery.

PS.. I used to work those types of positions. Then I got smart. I figured out what aspects of my life are really important and then sought out a position that allowed me to life I wanted to live. I work to live, I don't work to live.[/quote]

Is that like ying and yang? Internal conflict:)

We're in out 20's as well, it might be a generational thing too. Younger people are very fast paced these days, not that thats wrong or right, just the way it is.

Our first cruise we had 8 family members dining together, the next cruise we had 12 friends together at two tables. Next month we have 9 of us. If the wife, daughter and I ever cruise without family, it would be a table of 3 requested. Dining with folks I don't know, I simply would not go for that. I am on a cruise to relax and sit with a book in a quiet spot, as well as to see new ports. I am not on a cruise to chat with strangers. I might do a Meet & Mingle briefly, but I don't want strangers at my table. To me dinner is family time to discuss the events of the day.

We're in out 20's as well, it might be a generational thing too. Younger people are very fast paced these days, not that thats wrong or right, just the way it is.

These days? LOL !! Younger people have been faster-paced since I've been alive anyway. This is nothing new.

I'm not at all surprised that there would be a myriad of opinions and preferences about dining duration. An enjoyment of cruising aside, we are all as varied as a cross section of population will be.

We enjoy supper in the MDR as an event in itself. If we wanted to slam down a few courses and run, there's Applebee's down the street. MDR time is when we enjoy meaningful conversation and reflection on the beauty of that day's activities, even over dessert and perhaps an apertif. That's just us - it's not right nor wrong. Just as a younger couple like to eat and run - that's also neither right nor wrong. We have to live within our priorities. That said, we generally spend 90 minutes or so, minimum - and relish every moment.

I agree. I like the MDR experience. It is great being able to sit and talk without having to worry about the phone ringing, what I will need to do when I get done. Since I cruise with my sister and BIL it is a time for us to just sit and talk and enjoy.

I can say on the last two cruises it has only been the three of us at a table and dinner lasted about 90 minutes. The first time I crised we had a 10 top and it took a little longer but the dinner conversation was great and made new friends.

This next time we are doing ATD, and taking my nephew so that will be a new experience, but one we are looking forward to.

Last cruise in February- we were sitting by 6:05. ordered by 6:15 and out before 7:30.

it was the quickest dinner service ever. Maybe because we had a 5 year old. I thought it quick and not felt rushed.

Dining on a cruise ship is not to be rushed-- too many people rush while they are home. But on a cruise ship maybe they feel they have to hurry or they will be missing something

Same with is, I liked being out by 7:30, but we always arrived on time.

Maybe not an "older thing" just some people prefer it..some don't. I am only 31..so not that much older than you and I enjoy it. And have for quite some time.

With that being said I honestly don't know that i pay attention to how much time dinner takes us. We always doing early seating. I am sure that I would notice how long it was taking if I thought that it was taking too long..or if service was slow.

I read a lot of complaints concerning the amount of time taken for dinner service in MDR. I don't know what folks think the time should be for a dinner service. My personnel thought is 2 hours from appetizer to dessert. What does everyone else think?

Hank

never sat there 2 hours. it's usually an hour and a half.

only time i sat for 2 hours was in the steakhouse.

Interesting responses and a wide variety of times most folks consider "Long Enough". One of the most interesting post's from someone with thousands of posts and doesn't really want to talk with others...... Must be to much of the new "Social Networking".

I also look at the MDR as a event (thanks Transatlantic Dvoika). Enjoying the company of others and understanding them. There is a lot to be learned from your fellow cruisers, even the chance of making a possible business contact.

I've worked my share of over forty hour weeks and would like to tell you, the world can get along without you, so slow down and smell the roses, but I guess I didn't listen either.:rolleyes:

Interesting responses and a wide variety of times most folks consider "Long Enough". One of the most interesting post's from someone with thousands of posts and doesn't really want to talk with others...... Must be to much of the new "Social Networking".

i found that odd as well, but wasn't surprised when i saw who it was.

I was at a table with a guy who talked so much it took him 40 min. to eat his salad. The waiter wouldn't give the rest of us the entree until he finished. I finally had to ask for my meal. I didn't eat desert. I saw them still there 2 1/2 hours after we'd started.

I changed tables.

I thought the Chef's table at 3 1/3 hours was too long.

I think it might depend on the # of people at your table and/or their dining preferences - as mentioned many tend to order more than 1 appetizer and then some order salads and soups/apps and others don't.....and sometimes this might affect dining time and presentation of main courses/dessert.

I usually sit at a larger table (6-10) and love meeting and chatting with new people - always choose late seating and usually get out around 10 pm (1.5-2 hrs?) - just in time to grab some seats for the late show.

I also like to think of dinner as an 'event' - at home we rush around and rarely sit down to eat at the same time due to other responsibilities and commitments so to get to sit down and be served and have someone cook my meals for me is a great treat :) I am in no big rush on vacation!

An hour and a half to two hours.

That would be the time frame that I would enjoy as well. I like my dinner courses with time in between. I hate beign rushed.

Eating at a Chinese restaurant usuallly gives me agida, so when I crave some Asian food we do take out :p

Archived