How long should dinner service take ?

hbrote

I read a lot of complaints concerning the amount of time taken for dinner service in MDR. I don't know what folks think the time should be for a dinner service. My personnel thought is 2 hours from appetizer to dessert. What does everyone else think?

Hank

We had 6 pm dinner and they had a hard time getting us thru and time to clean up before late dinner folks were there waiting to get in my last Carnival cruise.

Others have reported the same thing.

2 hours might be fine with you, but I think its a bit too long and pushes the next dinner time as well. I would think 120 minutes, plus or minute 10 minutes max. Some times there are things you want to do at 7:30 you miss.

I read a lot of complaints concerning the amount of time taken for dinner service in MDR. I don't know what folks think the time should be for a dinner service. My personnel thought is 2 hours from appetizer to dessert. What does everyone else think?

Hank

It's not the length, it's the continuity and presentation.

Nobody likes cold food.

You say 2 hours is pushing it, but 120 minutes is fine. I'm confused -- isn't 2 hours equivalent to 120 minutes? Is 2 hours just enough or too long for you?

We had 6 pm dinner and they had a hard time getting us thru and time to clean up before late dinner folks were there waiting to get in my last Carnival cruise.

Others have reported the same thing.

2 hours might be fine with you, but I think its a bit too long and pushes the next dinner time as well. I would think 120 minutes, plus or minute 10 minutes max. Some times there are things you want to do at 7:30 you miss.

Last cruise in February- we were sitting by 6:05. ordered by 6:15 and out before 7:30.

it was the quickest dinner service ever. Maybe because we had a 5 year old. I thought it quick and not felt rushed.

Dining on a cruise ship is not to be rushed-- too many people rush while they are home. But on a cruise ship maybe they feel they have to hurry or they will be missing something

You say 2 hours is pushing it, but 120 minutes is fine. I'm confused -- isn't 2 hours equivalent to 120 minutes? Is 2 hours just enough or too long for you?

Ha, ha...I was just about to put that exact same reply. You beat me to it!

:D

No, no, no - that 120 minutes is in metric......

Seriously, 90 min to 2 hours is general time period.

We do ATD. Just DW and I and we always have a 2 top. It's a rare night we're there for more than an hour. Usually 45-50 minutes. Love ATD. If you want to sit around for 2 hours listening to stories from your servers homeland and watching the table magician, more power to you. I'm all set:).

Timing can also depend on how many courses you want to eat :) By the end of the cruise our table frequently ordered 2-3 appetizers per person before the entree, then lingered over cappachino and espresso with dessert. With late seating we were never rushed, and enjoyed conversation with our dinner companions. Not sure if I will ever return to early dinner on a 2 top. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't think we ever sat 2 hours, 60-80 min. is fine. I am one of those who like to eat and move on, maybe a cup of coffee after my dinner, but then back to the room for an evening cocktail. We also travel with a young child ( age 7 ), so with a bedtime of 8/ 8:30 early seating is a must for us.

We also do ATD at usually sit at a 2 top.

I don't like to rush so I HOPE dinner takes at least 90min.

IF we are in a nice restaurant at home dinner can take 2 hrs and we enjoy every minute of it.

Americans do tend to want everything rushed!

When you have dinner in Europe you're often the only person at the table for the whole night!

We also do ATD at usually sit at a 2 top.

I don't like to rush so I HOPE dinner takes at least 90min.

IF we are in a nice restaurant at home dinner can take 2 hrs and we enjoy every minute of it.

Americans do tend to want everything rushed!

When you have dinner in Europe you're often the only person at the table for the whole night!

Yep, low productivity and no sense of urgency, that's why the Euro's in the shape it's in;)

Depends what you are used to! americans just want to eat and leave while europeans can sit for hours!

That's because Europeans have nothing better to do than sit and gossip, while Americans are off to see shows, take romantic walks or join the balcony club. I prefer the American way than the boring european way!;)

We had early dining on the Liberty 12/3-12/10. We have a family of 7 and our youngest is 6 yrs old. Our dinner went from 6:00-7:15 almost exactly every night. I think the servers are really good at seeing how quickly you want the next course. They never rushed us or made us wait too long. It was exactly right for us. There were times that the comedy show started at 7:30 and we wanted to get a good spot to sit before the show started. No rushing at all and it worked out perfectly. :) That might be too fast for some people, but like I said, the servers are pretty good at gauging how fast you are eating and if you are ready for the next course or not.

We do ATD. Just DW and I and we always have a 2 top. It's a rare night we're there for more than an hour. Usually 45-50 minutes. Love ATD. If you want to sit around for 2 hours listening to stories from your servers homeland and watching the table magician, more power to you. I'm all set:).

Sounds lonely but glad it works for you. We enjoy talking to table-mates as well as MDR staff about their homes, families, days in port, etc. For us, meeting these people, forming friendships, and learning something new is one reason we like to cruise.

We always take the late seating and are frequently the last out of the dining room, so 8:15 until after 10 most nights.... Never in a hurry to get anywhere except over to the PB for our next bottle of wine. ;)

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds lonely but glad it works for you. We enjoy talking to table-mates as well as MDR staff about their homes, families, days in port, etc. For us, meeting these people, forming friendships, and learning something new is one reason we like to cruise.

We always take the late seating and are frequently the last out of the dining room, so 8:15 until after 10 most nights.... Never in a hurry to get anywhere except over to the PB for our next bottle of wine. ;)

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lonely? I'm with DW. We cruise to be togeather, not to chitchat with waitstaff we'll never see again. Both being professionals who work 50+ hours a week, vacation time is to valueable to use to waste making smalltalk with Merle the used car dealer from Houston. To each his own I guess, but for us it it wasn't for ATD, we'd still be cruising NCL.

Archived